Newbie, please help with purchase

nickyrobinson

Hi all

Im new to Mountain Biking and have my first event in November (200KM) looking to purchase one of the below and would really appreciate some advice on what one to get:

Merida Big Seven 500

or 

Liv Tempt 1 2019

any advice welcome!

Edited by nickyrobinson

Hi all

Im new to Mountain Biking and have my first event in November (200KM) looking to purchase one of the below and would really appreciate some advice on what one to get:

Merida Big Seven 500

or 

Liv Tempt 1 2019

any advice welcome!

Those 2 bikes are very similar.

Either will be good.

I would take the Giant over the Merida.

Maybe you should also consider a dual Suspension bike.

Edited by dasilvarsa

As a avid HT lover 200km on one can be done, just hope for smooth roads. My longest was little over 100km and I was still fine. Just fit the fattest rubber at the back and run low pressure 18-20 psi.

As for the bike they are very similar spec'ed, Giant takes it for me with better wheels and sealed bearing hubs and 2.4 tyre's as to 2.2 on the big 7 and the cup and cone hub's.

Hi all

Merida Big Seven 500

or 

Liv Tempt 1 2019

any advice welcome!

Hi Nicky

1. What event are you targeting? (Mostly trails / single track? Just dirt roads / jeep track? Long distance gravel district roads? It will help people give better advice on the best bike for it.) 

2. What cycling experience do you have (Done any road cycling?) 

3. Other sports? (Endurance sports? Triathlon? Running? Swimming?)

4. Rough idea if age (Twenties?Thirties? Forties....? I know it isn't polite to ask  :) )

5. General level of fitness? (Couch potato? I wheeze but get up the hill? I run Table Mountain for fun?

Edited by DJR