Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

With Specialized range calculator for a bike with 500Wh battery, a rider of 168 cm , 60kg: He/She will have to keep to 15km/h for the battery to last 110km

So no advantage really - but it will help people with a disability or physical issue to be part of the fun - trust me it is mathematically impossible to do a sub 3 hour on a ebike (that sticks to the rules) - unless you are fit enough to do it easily on a dikwiel - which an ebike becomes when there is no more battery. :)

Come on don't let science ruin Friday...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So how difficult will it be to set up a mobile charging station so halfway....I see a business opportunity here....????????

However, hosting a short course in addition to the traditional 109km route is proving extremely complex. The team at Cape Town Cycle Tour, together with key stakeholders including the City of Cape Town, has invested considerable time and effort in planning for two world-class events within the City and surrounds. Safety, experience and quality of the event cannot be compromised, and disruption and inconvenience to the residents of the City of Cape Town must be minimised.

This process can’t be rushed and with the entry date upon us, the decision has been taken to postpone the short route option until 2021 to allow for further planning and judicious preparation.

“We know that there will be some disappointment around this decision – we’re disappointed too,” says Bellairs. “But as always, the safety of participants comes first. We hope to have good news next year regarding the short course for 2021. All stakesholders will continue working to make this possible.”

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/news/road/sa-road-cycling/cape-town-cycle-tour-entries-open-e-bikes-welcome-short-route-clarification-r7979

I could assist with a Direct line to the CITY OF CAPE TOWN OFFICE.

I have their number on Speed Dial.

If this is true the ebike category had better use flat pedals cos they are all going to be walking up Smits

With Specialized range calculator for a bike with 500Wh battery, a rider of 168 cm , 60kg: He/She will have to keep to 15km/h for the battery to last 110km

So no advantage really - but it will help people with a disability or physical issue to be part of the fun - trust me it is mathematically impossible to do a sub 3 hour on a ebike (that sticks to the rules) - unless you are fit enough to do it easily on a dikwiel - which an ebike becomes when there is no more battery. :)

So if I'm on the new Colnago ebike, riding with 2 batteries spare, freewheeling down the hills, hammering the flats under my own steam by wheelsucking tandems and flying up the hills with my battery, I can't do a sub 3?  I almost want to try.  

Of course it would be an expensive attempt and I'd rather use the loot to buy a quiver of old Colnagos

But then I'm never going to sub 3

So if I'm on the new Colnago ebike, riding with 2 batteries spare, freewheeling down the hills, hammering the flats under my own steam by wheelsucking tandems and flying up the hills with my battery, I can't do a sub 3?  I almost want to try.  

Of course it would be an expensive attempt and I'd rather use the loot to buy a quiver of old Colnagos

will need to practice your dodging skills also beforehand, to ensure you don't hit a few slower riders in your sub 3 attempt, especially going up the hills where they will be walking (or worse swerving all over the road) 

Ummm      Wayne       what siiiizzzze bike do you ride?

errr asking for a friend.

So tannie with a throttle type ebike.. . Different beast to the one being allowed to ride argus

Those ones not limited to 25kph either fyi

I needed to google the difference between Throttle-type and Pedal assist to see what is the actual difference.

Tannie most definitely has pedal assist bike and not throttle.

will need to practice your dodging skills also beforehand, to ensure you don't hit a few slower riders in your sub 3 attempt, especially going up the hills where they will be walking (or worse swerving all over the road) 

I will get an ebike peleton going - let them use their batteries to tow me along the flats - then at my blistering pace I will dodge them up chappies and then wheelie up suikerbossie ringing my bell.  Down the otherside on my toptube (they are designed to bear heavy loads)

I will need to learn to wheelie and work on the blistering pace bit until then.  I might crowd fund a new Colnago ebike.  Who wants to be part of the first ebike sub 3?  Please pay into my offshore oil rig account

Edited by Waynemol

So, it has finally become a motorized event. I think that is me out... #cryalittle

There have always been people cheating, why change view on it now?

Good question, I guess because it is so in the open now and that with bragging rights, and I know myself, I will react badly on the day when I see this, and will not be able to use my very effective EI factor effectively... [emoji12][emoji41]

And I cannot enter my VTX1800... #unfair

Edited by The Commuter

Agree with you, and from where they will be starting it should not affect you or your own achievement, so let them do it on an e-bike if they want too.

For some it is an achievement to do it on a single speed, for some on a unicycle, for some tandem, for some on MTB (with slicks or knobbies), for some to do it on real steel, etc.  Each rider is doing it for their own reason.

I am assuming some have an issue with the e-bike thing as they feel in the near future the "racing" e-bikes might also get a start higher up in the starting line maybe just in front of the tandem (which begs the questions what about an e-bike tandem)

Good question, I guess because it is so in the open now and that with bragging rights, and I know myself, I will react badly on the day when I see this, and will not be able to use my very effective EI factor effectively... [emoji12][emoji41]

My XT660R was used on many an August (;-)) as a support bike. Maybe now it can become an entrant? Think I can beat that VTX...

There will be no e-bike cheats winning the race, we have had dopers win the race before and people still came to ride the next year, the only position in a funride that actually matters, ish.

Now people are upset that some random old lady will take 12 456th place and are going to boycott??