Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

Agree with you, and from where they will be starting it should not affect you or your own achievement, so let them do it on an e-bike if they want too.

For some it is an achievement to do it on a single speed, for some on a unicycle, for some tandem, for some on MTB (with slicks or knobbies), for some to do it on real steel, etc.  Each rider is doing it for their own reason.

I am assuming some have an issue with the e-bike thing as they feel in the near future the "racing" e-bikes might also get a start higher up in the starting line maybe just in front of the tandem (which begs the questions what about an e-bike tandem)

For some completing the Cycle Tour is not even an achievement, each to their own. Nobody is forcing you to ride an e bike. 

I do like the idea of a tandem, recumbant fairing E bike!!!!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be no e-bike cheats winning the race, we have had dopers win the race before and people still came to ride the next year, the only position in a funride that actually matters, ish.

Now people are upset that some random old lady will take 12 456th place and are going to boycott??

Yip, isn’t that so unfair... these damn boycotters [emoji2957]

With Specialized range calculator for a bike with 500Wh battery, a rider of 168 cm , 60kg: He/She will have to keep to 15km/h for the battery to last 110km

So no advantage really - but it will help people with a disability or physical issue to be part of the fun - trust me it is mathematically impossible to do a sub 3 hour on a ebike (that sticks to the rules) - unless you are fit enough to do it easily on a dikwiel - which an ebike becomes when there is no more battery. :)

Apologies Stef for picking on your post, but I am a bit tired of this hub trope. A large portion of people using ebikes are relatively young, fit, healthy and competitive and will be riding their ebikes as fast as they can for whatever bragging rights they can claim afterwards (almost no one have a problem with the old disabled e-bike tannie coming in at 17000th place)

And if the batteries don't last now they will within a year or 2. At this point there are not enough ebike riders to cause a significant nuisance to others but I foresee the numbers increasing as the costs of ebikes come down. So I guess organisers will now now wait and see what problems are caused by ebikes and then adjust the rules accordingly. I feel for the normal riders who will have a group of ebikes starting just behind them, they are the real guinea pigs for the new rules.

Apologies Stef for picking on your post, but I am a bit tired of this hub trope. A large portion of people using ebikes are relatively young, fit, healthy and competitive and will be riding their ebikes as fast as they can for whatever bragging rights they can claim afterwards (almost no one have a problem with the old disabled e-bike tannie coming in at 17000th place)

And if the batteries don't last now they will within a year or 2. At this point there are not enough ebike riders to cause a significant nuisance to others but I foresee the numbers increasing as the costs of ebikes come down. So I guess organisers will now now wait and see what problems are caused by ebikes and then adjust the rules accordingly. I feel for the normal riders who will have a group of ebikes starting just behind them, they are the real guinea pigs for the new rules.

Can't argue this

I don't give a cr@p about you over achievers - I'm smashing a sub 3 on my ebike.  I've got ex mates who ride "real" bikes seeded up ahead carrying my batteries.  Super E domestiques.  I am also going to pull another ex mate to 7227th place in my wake.  He is going to smash his PB by 13 minutes and climb 456 places

And I'm not stopping there  - Next year I will pimp my ride, get bionic legs and catch people who have @# and other things on their numbers.  I might go so fast I go backwards in time

And then I'm going to one of your fancy Cape Town coffee shops and they better have Frisco

I feel for the normal riders who will have a group of ebikes starting just behind them, they are the real guinea pigs for the new rules.

groups at the back are not exactly "normal" riders with anything resembling a bunch.

we're happy for faster bikes like tandems and 2nd lappers to be in amongst the general crowd.

we're happy for hand cyclists and unicycles to be sharing the road.

but ride your ebike on the day and you're not welcome. i get that people could feel that having "assistance" almost cheapens the achievement of the ride and receiving your medal and being credited with a finish, but no one seems to be worried about that.

I think people seem to have forgotten that this is a funride for charity, and should celebrate cape town's roads being open to all cyclists no matter what they ride.

what a shame.

we're happy for faster bikes like tandems and 2nd lappers to be in amongst the general crowd.

we're happy for hand cyclists and unicycles to be sharing the road.

but ride your ebike on the day and you're not welcome. i get that people could feel that having "assistance" almost cheapens the achievement of the ride and receiving your medal and being credited with a finish, but no one seems to be worried about that.

I think people seem to have forgotten that this is a funride for charity, and should celebrate cape town's roads being open to all cyclists no matter what they ride.

what a shame.

Have you seen the comments on previous threads on problems caused by (some) 2nd lappers, their presence are not always universally welcomed. This is really like adding another bunch of 2nd lappers to the mix and hoping for the best.

But it is a good point re the charity aspect. Anyway, I had my rant and will step out now.

I think you sum it up very well.

A significant group of e-bike riders will be competing to go as fast as possible.

I don't give a cr@p about you over achievers - I'm smashing a sub 3 on my ebike.  I've got ex mates who ride "real" bikes seeded up ahead carrying my batteries.  Super E domestiques.  I am also going to pull another ex mate to 7227th place in my wake.  He is going to smash his PB by 13 minutes and climb 456 places

And I'm not stopping there  - Next year I will pimp my ride, get bionic legs and catch people who have @# and other things on their numbers.  I might go so fast I go backwards in time

And then I'm going to one of your fancy Cape Town coffee shops and they better have Frisco

have you been nominated for sainthood yet? If not where are application forms so I can sign them?

PS: We'll go one better than Frisco and offer you ricoffee

Edited by DieselnDust

I will get an ebike peleton going - let them use their batteries to tow me along the flats - then at my blistering pace I will dodge them up chappies and then wheelie up suikerbossie ringing my bell.  Down the otherside on my toptube (they are designed to bear heavy loads)

I will need to learn to wheelie and work on the blistering pace bit until then.  I might crowd fund a new Colnago ebike.  Who wants to be part of the first ebike sub 3?  Please pay into my offshore oil rig account

I will skip the e-bike phase. By the time I'm 70 due to the evolving rules I'll use my Africa Twin, purely because I have always done the Argus on a mountain bike.....

Closer to the time, like on the Saturday before argust I think it would be good to do a hub meet and great ride.

Go have some coffee, beer, wine, rum, coke, brandy, whiskey with some hubbers.

e-bikes welcome :ph34r:

Closer to the time, like on the Saturday before argust I think it would be good to do a hub meet and great ride.

The Savages have already got something on the cards. Maybe not hub specific 

Is it too early to start working on The Hubbers Santa Ride?

Or are we gonna fly it again this year?