Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

This morning when I woke up I started to feel that familiar pre-ARGUS excitement vibe. 3 Weeks! For me a big part of the CTCT weekend weekend is the Saturday morning ride up the Seaboard with coffees, chats with other riders and the amazing scenery all around. 

Perhaps us Hubbers should meet and greet on Saturday on the pre-ride?

post-36036-0-11311500-1581571905_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has always been a little bumpy but might have got worse.

Roots and moles.One has to poison for moles regularly.The Mole Man in Kommetjie does it.Airports,sport fields,golf courses and highways are big anti mole business

I don't think it is dramatically worse than it has been, just a slow and natural deterioration of the surface. That stretch is probably 50 years or older? They never rebuilt it when they did the False Bay / Smitswinkels side a decade or so ago.

Would love to, but I have to first drive through to CPT from Montagu on Sat.  morning to go and pick up my race pack.  Am camping at the Montagu Guano caves Thursday and Friday night with a group.

By the way, was thinking if it will be a good idea to load myself with an acceptable amount of beer on the Friday evening in prep for Sunday??? 

I don't think it is dramatically worse than it has been, just a slow and natural deterioration of the surface. That stretch is probably 50 years or older? They never rebuilt it when they did the False Bay / Smitswinkels side a decade or so ago.

that section has never bothered me, probably because I'm normally on my own and trying to recover from smits.

But once you turn right and start heading through scorborough (sp?) is where i get a little more cautious.

During our first CTCT back in '99 my buddy was behind me. I was on a road bike, he was on a slightly to small for him mountain bike. We were doing about 60km/h and he decided to eat an energy bar, one hand off the bars and we hit a little dip on the side of the road.

I heard him swear first, turned around to see him going OTB.

By the time I stopped safely and negotiated my way back to him through the hordes of other riders, he had been pulled to the side of the road and was being attended too. I was told to leave him there as an ambulance would take him to hospital.

I left and finished the race, then started phoning to find out where he was.

the bugger climbed back on teh bike and finished the race. the photos tell the story, first just a little bit of blood on the face, as the race progresses you see more blood.

Can the road from Smits down between the trees plz be fixed, it's bad especially at high speeds

Saw my first beeeg accident on my first tour in 96.

Some guy (wearing a help my sterk lyk top) took both hands off the bars and put his arms around his missus and then BOOOM both went down like a sack of ****. I went cold, I didn't stop, I panicked I slowed down but then got swallowed up by the next group to pass me. 

Morning everyone

Please come and say hi at the HoldFast stand at the  CTCT expo, my name is Bruce and I'd love to show you our latest products we're releasing that will be on show at the stand.

Cheers and see you there

Bruce

Roots and moles.One has to poison for moles regularly.The Mole Man in Kommetjie does it.Airports,sport fields,golf courses and highways are big anti mole business

When I was still an appy working at springs airfield, we had done a 50hr inspection on a Cessna 210. It was a Friday and the owner was going to leave from springs and fly to his game farm for the weekend. He arrived as the boss was coming in to land from the test flight. The owner and I were standing at the hanger talking, we saw the plane land and knew it took about 5 min to taxi to the hanger. About 10 min later still no plane. Just as we were about to go out onto the taxi way to look My boss walks in. He was fuming. He just said F#*k!ng Moles. It is a grass taxi way and he taxi'd the nose wheel into a hole. We went over there and as I saw the aircraft for the first time it looked like a warthog drinking water(nose down, ass in the air). Prop stuffed, NLG stuffed, cowling stuffed. 

Morning everyone

Please come and say hi at the HoldFast stand at the  CTCT expo, my name is Bruce and I'd love to show you our latest products we're releasing that will be on show at the stand.

Cheers and see you there

Bruce

Thanks Bruce!

We need more Bruce's on the Hub :)

This morning when I woke up I started to feel that familiar pre-ARGUS excitement vibe. 3 Weeks! For me a big part of the CTCT weekend weekend is the Saturday morning ride up the Seaboard with coffees, chats with other riders and the amazing scenery all around. 

attachicon.gifARGUS 2019.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/clubs/21210/group_events/588665

Funny how COCT forces me to use mole barriers in my road designs when I do developments in Cape Town but they can't figure it out themselves for road maintenance...

Funny how COCT forces me to use mole barriers in my road designs when I do developments in Cape Town but they can't figure it out themselves for road maintenance...

Keen to know how these work?

Maybe the COCT is not responsible for that road? It might even be Sanparks (heavens help us) responsiblitiy as that road goes through their property