Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

Ha ha no... just never gave moles a thought until this cat arrived and started helping tje groundsman.

Not sure if you're implying that the mole barrier will kill the moles? It's just a barrier, it doesn't injure the moles. It's his own fault if he's speed-digging and slams into the wall.

I haven't had the request from a client yet, but I'm sure you can even install 110mm sleeves underneath the road every 10m and call it "mole crossings" if mole migration is an issue.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you tandems who can stay upright all start in the same start batch anyway?

Or has that changed? I remember there was always a big tandem batch starting near the front that used to get me spinning out on the M3 towards Tokai

Racing tandems(#) is capped at about 30 tandems. We(I say we because it has been my group for the last few years) do start early, like 4th or 5th group away. We used to start right behind the elites but more often than not there was the vets groups or ladies(when they still rode full distance) catching us at inappropriate times like last KM or top of suikerbossie and then they hook onto our wheel to the finish upsetting dropped riders or even dropped riders hooking on and catching back to the leaders kind of thing and it was a stuff up. So basically since this new 1A, 1B etc story we have started just behind the "vets". Then years ago there always used to be 2 social tandems groups but the were a lot further back and a lot of tandem riders complained as they may have been seeded as the 31st tandem(who is still capable of a damn good time) and they were stuck mid field with the first social tandem group. So now they just mix the remaining tandems among the groups depending on a combined seeding it seems.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure what the 2016 Thule catalogue has anything to do with the 2020 HoldFast products that will be on display at the stand?

can we not just look at the 2016 thule catalogue?

Hahahaha!!  :clap: Alot of time and effort is going into prepping the stand, let alone the new products we've launched. Looking forward to meeting you there

Thanks Bruce!

We need more Bruce's on the Hub :)

Or hook onto a tandem back wheel!!!!!!!

We used to start right behind the elites but more often than not there was the vets groups or ladies(when they still rode full distance) catching us at inappropriate times like last KM or top of suikerbossie and then they hook onto our wheel to the finish upsetting dropped riders or even dropped riders hooking on and catching back to the leaders kind of thing and it was a stuff up.

Ha Ha, that was me. 

in my first Argust, I was in E or F group and with some others had worked my way up the field  and caught a racing tandem that had earlier had a flat up the last section of Smits.

We had a tow all the way to Ou-Kaapse weg, moved ahead up the climb and they came past at a stink speed down the hill. I burnt plenty matches getting back on as we got onto the Blue route and they ultimately dropped me down Hospital hill back to the city and the finish....

Edited by eddy

Ha Ha, that was me. 

in my first Argust, I was in E or F group and with some others had worked my way up the field  and caught a racing tandem that had earlier had a flat up the last section of Smits.

We had a tow all the way to Ou-Kaapse weg, moved ahead up the climb and they came past at a stink speed down the hill. I burnt plenty matches getting back on as we got onto the Blue route and they ultimately dropped me down Hospital hill back to the city and the finish....

It's a good move. So that was the "detour"? 

In 2013 and 2014 we were plagued with very bad luck at almost the exact same spot both years up smits. We had mechanical's and had a jammed interlink chain. We were stranded for a few minutes each time and got caught by the next bunch(was still young vets back then) and once sorted and over the top with the adrenaline pumping and mind fuming we geared down and TTd like mad. A few vets tried to hook on but not long after, I looked back and they were long gone. 56x11 FTW! They caught us on mini chappies and very quickly chewed us up and spat us out the back :blush: .

It's a good move. So that was the "detour"? 

Yip, detour.

It was 112km and I did 3h03. Closest I came to sub 3 but had a an average speed that would have given me one on every route except the detour.....

Racing tandems(#) is capped at about 30 tandems. We(I say we because it has been my group for the last few years) do start early, like 4th or 5th group away. We used to start right behind the elites but more often than not there was the vets groups or ladies(when they still rode full distance) catching us at inappropriate times like last KM or top of suikerbossie and then they hook onto our wheel to the finish upsetting dropped riders or even dropped riders hooking on and catching back to the leaders kind of thing and it was a stuff up. So basically since this new 1A, 1B etc story we have started just behind the "vets". Then years ago there always used to be 2 social tandems groups but the were a lot further back and a lot of tandem riders complained as they may have been seeded as the 31st tandem(who is still capable of a damn good time) and they were stuck mid field with the first social tandem group. So now they just mix the remaining tandems among the groups depending on a combined seeding it seems.

Ah ok... Makes sense to me. One year on the SS I was dropped on the M3 but the entire group went down under the bridge at the bottom of the hill near tokai. Being alone off the back I watched the whole group fold like a house of cards and then got swept up by the tandems whizzing past.

I never knew there was just 1 group of 30... It seemed like a hundred swallowed me up that day!

Ah ok... Makes sense to me. One year on the SS I was dropped on the M3 but the entire group went down under the bridge at the bottom of the hill near tokai. Being alone off the back I watched the whole group fold like a house of cards and then got swept up by the tandems whizzing past.

I never knew there was just 1 group of 30... It seemed like a hundred swallowed me up that day!

The limit of 30 in # has been since 2015 (but I see now they deviate a bit).

I just looked now:

2019-45

2018-30

2017-?

2016-33

2015-33

2014-113

2013-70

2012-raced single bike.

The limit of 30 in # has been since 2015 (but I see now they deviate a bit).

I just looked now:

2019-45

2018-30

2017-?

2016-33

2015-33

2014-113

2013-70

2012-raced single bike.

ha! So I'm not mad. It was 2013 or 14!

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure what the 2016 Thule catalogue has anything to do with the 2020 HoldFast products that will be on display at the stand?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

eish

Tandem?!

That's like bringing two horse power to a one horse power race. 

That's why on the fast sections, I don't expect a single that is sitting my wheel try help. I have seen so many times a tandem get upset with a single that is sitting on the back and I think to myself why. If the single does try help you will only get cross because the pace drops. I have been in small groups at CTCT(and other races) before where I have helped singles on the flats and they have returned the favor on the smaller hills but the steeper stuff I just say cheers see after the race. No ways we can stay with the stronger singles up the climbs.