Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

That depends. If you pack your bike into a regulation size box and keep the weight below 20kg as your only checked in luggage and pack a few changes of clothes into your lap top bag you are golden on 'most' internal flights.

Alternatively you could book your flight super early on a month end special for R1000 return and ask Tryptich to transport your bike up and down for you for a whopping R300 each way.

I reckon you could easily come to CT for 5k

I booked our flights in October/november, there was no way you were going to get a R1000 return ticket for that weekend.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that's an option. or you get an airbnb self catering and walk to the shops if you want to save some cash. the fact remains even the food in your pantry at home is not free.

it's like people saying ironman costs you R50k to do because because because. The entry itself is only R5k, the rest you choose to spend if you buy into the hype of what is a "must have item".

So let me just ask the joburg guys a question. what's the cheapest budget you can do the argus weekend on without getting freebies from family. i'd think well short of R10k if you do a  bit of preplanning.

Let me jump in here. My ARGUS budget (Arriving Friday night, departing Monday Night):

Flights: R1500.00 (discount compliments of Vitality, did a lot of scouting for cheap flights over a few weeks period)

Accommodation: R1050 (3 nights AirBnB - booked early, self-catering flat in Sea Point).

Bike Transfer: R800 (early bird special)

Car Rental incl petrol: R500 (3 days cheapie car, discount compliments of Vitality).

Meals: Accommodation is self catering - breakfasts and lunches at cost there. Restaurant dinners, and BEERS after the race.

With proper planning and a bit of tolerance for more basic provisions doing the weekend under R5k is absolutely doable. 

*edit* add race entry

Edited by Karooryder

Until last week I actually thought the reverse route was the actual direction of the CTCT. No idea why haha. I'm obviously doing my first August this year. Watch out for the rookie in 1C!

Hahaha naah bud, No way they will allow us to miss Suikerbossie from Hout Bay side..

Good Luck for your 1st(hopefully of many) "Argus" cycle tours.

Hahaha naah bud, No way they will allow us to miss Suikerbossie from Hout Bay side..

Can you imagine the crashes with all the weakened worriers busting out the Froome tuck coming down Suikerbossie?

It's bad enough seeing that sherdt on a normal weekend.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Thanks for that. I have two friends entered but they didn't enter in the Ebike group at the time. Only afterwards they got Ebikes. They emailed the CTCT to request to be changed to Ebike group but their communications must have been lost because they are now in two other groups. 

If they’re honest, then they can still start in the ebike group, even though they were allocated different start groups. 

I booked our flights in October/november, there was no way you were going to get a R1000 return ticket for that weekend.

I did say 'super early'... But if you pay R1400/R1500 and use Tryptich you are still in the R2000 ball park figure and a step in the right direction for the sub 5k Argus naweek...

I reckon the Gautengers should start a Sub5k/Sub3 club......

That depends. If you pack your bike into a regulation size box and keep the weight below 20kg as your only checked in luggage and pack a few changes of clothes into your lap top bag you are golden on 'most' internal flights.

Alternatively you could book your flight super early on a month end special for R1000 return and ask Tryptich to transport your bike up and down for you for a whopping R300 each way.

I reckon you could easily come to CT for 5k

CTCT time the airlines charge for bikes, doesn't matter how heavy or big.

My BIL stays in CPT. About 3/4 years ago he was doing EPIC, he had to come up here a week before CTCT for a week for work, he bought his MTB and him and I went riding most days after work. When he went back to CPT the airline wanted to charge him for his bike. He argued that he was from CPT and not doing the CTCT but had been up here for work and was training. They never bought his story which was the truth and he ended up paying. He then took it up with the airline once home and they reimbursed him but it still shows how they only charge at this time of the year.

If they’re honest, then they can still start in the ebike group, even though they were allocated different start groups. 

The problem is that they will be riding EBikes but not in the EBike category. Which is essentially cheating because its not in the spirit of the event. 

Let me jump in here. My ARGUS budget (Arriving Friday night, departing Monday Night):

Flights: R1500.00 (discount compliments of Vitality, did a lot of scouting for cheap flights over a few weeks period)

Accommodation: R1050 (3 nights AirBnB - booked early, self-catering flat in Sea Point).

Bike Transfer: R800 (early bird special)

Car Rental incl petrol: R500 (3 days cheapie car, discount compliments of Vitality).

Meals: Accommodation is self catering - breakfasts and lunches at cost there. Restaurant dinners, and BEERS after the race.

With proper planning and a bit of tolerance for more basic provisions doing the weekend under R5k is absolutely doable. 

*edit* add race entry

Yip, and if there are two of you, the car and accommodation costs are split.

I am flying down on Saturday morning early and back on Tuesday, and paid around R1750 return.

With airfares, bike transfer, (shared) Uber from and to airport, (shared) self catering flat in Greenpoint within walking distance of the finish, the Spar and the bottlestore, and entries we work out at under R4500 a head for the three days.

It seems used my 2018 CTCT and I have only ended up in 2C, two groups up from 2018 CTCT due to a penalty of 18.

But I am also going to drop back a bit.

Earlier in this thread I asked "for a friend" how someone who had never done a race could get a seeding better than ZZ.  She followed the advice given, and got a line entry into the Fast One, albeit from the very last group but managed to TT herself around the course in a time good enough to give her a 3E seeding. 

I am thinking of dropping back 30 mins and riding with her, but would never live it down if she drops me up Edinburgh drive..

If you do drop back, will see you in 3E!

If you do drop back, will see you in 3E!

You'll recognise me. I'll be the slow guy in a white Jersey on the black bicycle.....

CTCT time the airlines charge for bikes, doesn't matter how heavy or big.

My BIL stays in CPT. About 3/4 years ago he was doing EPIC, he had to come up here a week before CTCT for a week for work, he bought his MTB and him and I went riding most days after work. When he went back to CPT the airline wanted to charge him for his bike. He argued that he was from CPT and not doing the CTCT but had been up here for work and was training. They never bought his story which was the truth and he ended up paying. He then took it up with the airline once home and they reimbursed him but it still shows how they only charge at this time of the year.

Much like entrance to Cape Point reserve goes up 100% between the 15th of December and the 20th of January the back to normal until Easter!

You Gautengers who visit always complain CT is so expensive but that's because most of you only visit when the prices are extortionate and the Capetonians have all left!!  :devil:

Much like entrance to Cape Point reserve goes up 100% between the 15th of December and the 20th of January the back to normal until Easter!

You Gautengers who visit always complain CT is so expensive but that's because most of you only visit when the prices are extortionate and the Capetonians have all left!!  :devil:

Best time to visit :whistling: 

Edited by Long Wheel Base

Not subtracting at all from the really useful tips given by Skubarra and others serious riders, my advice would be somewhat different - and aimed more towards a pleasant CTCT experience than chasing a target time. Literally just 2 things:

- Stay Safe

I remember my first CTCT; I had the route and my race "strategy" all planned out and with my target time clearly set, it was hoopla. My ride plan lasted about 15minutes after witnessing 2 serious crashes in the first 10km which totally scattered the bunches - and hitting an "only-at-the-ARGUS" headwind down the M3. With this event, route and environment there are just too many variables on the day which WILL have an influence on your race strategy...and unfortunately these variables almost always directly come down (excuse the pun) the one crucial aspect in any race: safety. Add to that tens of thousands of rides of varying riding skills and things can really get a bit hairy. Remain safe!

- Enjoy

This truly is one of the prettiest rides in the world. The atmosphere is like nothing you've seen before and there simply is no other feeling like riding past Misty Cliffs with the ocean a stone's throw to your left and the salty sea mist in your face. Don't spoil it for yourself by blindly chasing a time or coughing blood to chase bunches or hold on to the groot menere (unless achieving your target time will pay for the kid's school fees next month). 

This year will be my 7th and the magic of the event just never goes away. Personally, I reserve my eternal search for the PB's for other events...    

have to agree with everything that you said...Misty Cliffs was a glorious sight last year...