Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

Wonder if there's any chance of them using this weekend's Tour De PPA for seeding. I called CTCT yesterday to enter on a substitution and the lady said it'd only count for next year's CTCT (by which time it'll be so heavily penalised it won't even help) and that they won't do another seeding run after Tour De PPA. I'm hoping she's just assuming that, does anybody know any different?

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that if you haven't sorted your seeding out with less than 3 weeks before the race, you've either been injured and on the IDT all year OR you're not actually that serious about CTCT, have convinced yourself that you are and you're getting apprehensive.

Let it go and do the ground work through the year. That way, in 2021 you will be in $ and stay in $ with 3 weeks to go and your state of mind can only benefit from not stressing about anything in a last gasp attempt at jumping up the seeding ladder only to be let down and feel aggrieved when it doesn't happen.

Seriously, listen to the words of your Rabbi.....  :ph34r:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that if you haven't sorted your seeding out with less than 3 weeks before the race, you've either been injured and on the IDT all year OR you're not actually that serious about CTCT, have convinced yourself that you are and you're getting apprehensive.

Let it go and do the ground work through the year. That way, in 2021 you will be in $ and stay in $ with 3 weeks to go and your state of mind can only benefit from not stressing about anything in a last gasp attempt at jumping up the seeding ladder only to be let down and feel aggrieved when it doesn't happen.

Seriously, listen to the words of your Rabbi.....  :ph34r:

Current seeding isn't bad, but I doubt low enough to get into $ (which is the hope). Stellies was cancelled and 99er, with the changed route and perfect weather, the beta wasn't high enough to get me a low enough seeding. So was hoping for one last shot with Tour De PPA

One of the most important things to look out for is your front wheel. Don't let it overlap with the rear wheel of the rider in front of you because if he changes direction and your wheels touch you'll go down. He'll continue on his merry way though.

I'm riding the CTCT for the first time this year, riding with friends. Super exciting! I only really have MTB experience, so I'm a bit worried about being on the road on a road bike with so many people. The road bike always feels like it's trying to bite me compared to my MTB. It looks like my seeding was based on a single event in Yzerfontein last year. Somehow that got me into the 4J / 08:16 group start time.

Thanks Mamil, a friend has given me a road bike to use (it's very pretty, he bought it and then stopped cycling soon after), but I'm quite scared of road bikes... Part of me wants to put some slick-ish tyres onto my spare MTB wheels and ride my MTB instead, but that seems a bit phail. The MTB will let me get out of trouble more easily :D I want to hang around my friends but I'm stronger than them, so riding an MTB could be a good balancer. Decisions decisions.

Edited by aquaratza

Thanks Mamil, a friend has given me a road bike to use (it's very pretty, he bought it and then stopped cycling soon after), but I'm quite scared of road bikes... Part of me wants to put some slick-ish tyres onto my spare MTB wheels and ride my MTB instead, but that seems a bit phail. The MTB will let me get out of trouble more easily :D I want to hang around my friends but I'm stronger than them, so riding an MTB could be a good balancer. Decisions decisions.

Only ride the roadie for the next few days - if you are still uncomfortable I would suggest slicks on the mtb - if you feel uncomfortable on March 9, you are probably going to be a danger to yourself and others and you probably won't have fun

Only ride the roadie for the next few days - if you are still uncomfortable I would suggest slicks on the mtb - if you feel uncomfortable on March 9, you are probably going to be a danger to yourself and others and you probably won't have fun

if he feels uncomfortable on march 9 its because he rode 109km the day before

Quick question:  Has everyone received their seeding email?  

Been through my mail and cant find anything, also don't know where to look online?

Edited by eraser

There you go.

Current seeding isn't bad, but I doubt low enough to get into $ (which is the hope). Stellies was cancelled and 99er, with the changed route and perfect weather, the beta wasn't high enough to get me a low enough seeding. So was hoping for one last shot with Tour De PPA

How does $ work exactly, shouldn't you also have a racing license or apply to be in the group?

I remember a year or 2 ago there was a guy on the CTCT thread with a seeding index of basically zero, and he also wasn't seeded in $ (well at least not before he complained to the organisers)

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight  :devil:

Just ride the roadie from now until race day and you should be good. Try take on similar descents to get your cornering dialed in until you feel comfortable.

Not sure a MTB will get you out of any more incidents on the day. From what I've seen it either happens a couple of riders ahead of you, in which case you're stuffed, or more than that you'll get around it ok.

How does $ work exactly, shouldn't you also have a racing license or apply to be in the group?

I remember a year or 2 ago there was a guy on the CTCT thread with a seeding index of basically zero, and he also wasn't seeded in $ (well at least not before he complained to the organisers)

Nah $ is for Elites and okes who don't fit into the age category requirements.

Basically anyone with a seeding index below 5

From what I've been told, they first take pros and teams, then juniors and then whatever spots are left they take top seeded guys. Your index does need to be close to zero, depending on how many slots are left for us old ballies. I had an index of less than 1 about 3 years ago and didn't make it in, but for last couple of years I've had a slightly higher index but have gotten in so it seems to be a little easier than before. I'm guessing this is due to the declining interest in CTCT.