Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Li'l Darren started with Elite, from memory, but was a surprise inclusion in Doug Ryder's race-winning move, being all young and unknown and stuff. Legend has it Doug offered him a contract at the finish...

In the old days, the recumbents or tandems that were fastest would get the overall win, there was a trophy for the first 'registered rider' too. That changed when the Giro started becoming a thing, again from memory. 

In 1982, Mark Pinder won overall, when B (the first non-registered group) caught the pros for five minutes at Millers Point in a mad southeaster. Only Ertjies worked out what this meant, and attacked on Smits, gaining four minutes by the finish, but not the full five he would have needed to win. Pinder finished with the rest of A, to win outright, with Lloyd Wright second (riding a normal bike from B, not a recumbent). 

re L'll Darren - the Argus was also the last stage of the Giro

I discovered today (to my horror) that my bike isn't insured during races.

I assume that this is fairly standard when adding your bike(s) to your household insurance? What do you guys do for insurance during races?

I assume that this is fairly standard when adding your bike(s) to your household insurance? What do you guys do for insurance during races?

We don't crash ..... lol sorry couldn't resist

insure under household and make sure its for all risks

Sunday Update, one week to go...

17 to 24 Degrees Celsius

Wind: SSE 22 km/h

Wind Gusts: 57 km/h

Humidity: 73%

Dew Point: 16° C

Cloud Cover: 0%

Visibility: 10 km

Probability of Precipitation: 0%

Precipitation: 0.0 mm

Rain: 0.0 mm

Snow: 0.0 cm

Ice: 0.0 mm

ORNING° C

3/8

22°

RealFeel® 23°

Mostly cloudy

Wind: SSE 15 km/h

Wind Gusts: 26 km/h

Humidity: 61%

Dew Point: 13° C

Cloud Cover: 86%

Probability of Precipitation: 1%

Both Windguru and Accuweather showing a wind drop over saturday and sunday. Forecast is looking promising for a fast CTCT.

Sub 3's are ON Again.

Edited by DieselnDust

ORNING° C

3/8

22°

RealFeel® 23°

Mostly cloudy

which website is that data from: weather forecasts from overseas based weather apps have recently been off by between 4-5 deg C, that is, it's been warmer by that difference consistently ni the citybowl relative to the forecasts. There was an article in teh enws about it. Apparently SAWS has the most accurate local forecasts, but no convenient (app based) way of accessing it.

ORNING° C

3/8

22°

RealFeel® 23°

Mostly cloudy

Both Windguru and Accuweather showing a wind drop over saturday and sunday. Forecast is looking promising for a fast CTCT.

Sub 3's are ON Again.

Windy is also reporting similar forecast.

Looks like the wind will only pick up from around mid day.

which website is that data from: weather forecasts from overseas based weather apps have recently been off by between 4-5 deg C, that is, it's been warmer by that difference consistently ni the citybowl relative to the forecasts. There was an article in teh enws about it. Apparently SAWS has the most accurate local forecasts, but no convenient (app based) way of accessing it.

Its accuweather. Remember this is giving the maximum temperature till noon. THe prediction is 24Degrees C as maximum in the Afternoon

Edited by DieselnDust

If only the Cycle Tour was yeaterday or today.. Not even a poep of wind, no clouds and absolutely and fantastic weather for riding.

Bro, the wind was howling on the southern peninsula yesterday..... Properly blowing. 

ORNING° C

3/8

22°

RealFeel® 23°

Mostly cloudy

Sub 3's are ON Again.

keeping in mind that this is cape town, and weather will vary, depending on which window in your house you look out of... balmy one side, armageddon the other is my experience. 

also, we won't know what the weather's like at the finish until. oh... say around 08h30 Sunday morning. so there there's that.

speaking as a Jozi-semigrant with a jaundiced view on CT weather