Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's starting to get close now. Finish line barricades and seating has gone up and the sweepers are crawling down the Blue Route.

Rode through Noordhoek on Sunday and the roadworks there are all good so there's no uneven sections in the road. Best bit is they haven't put down any cateyes yet so hopefully they keep it like that until next week.

So, apart from no wind, what would be a good wind in terms of direction?

Problem is, the race is pretty much an "out and back" kinda shape. So unless the wind changes 180 Deg when you hit half way, you going to have it both ways. The South Easter or Cape Dr as it is commonly known as is the most common wind and that means in basic terms head wind for first half and tail wind home. But then you add gusts to that and wind bouncing off mountains and it all changes. So basically it doesn't matter what direction it blows, just hope that it is light.

which website is that data from: weather forecasts from overseas based weather apps have recently been off by between 4-5 deg C, that is, it's been warmer by that difference consistently ni the citybowl relative to the forecasts. There was an article in teh enws about it. Apparently SAWS has the most accurate local forecasts, but no convenient (app based) way of accessing it.

SAWS App is called WeatherSmart. Seems to work ok. Doesn't show wind forecasts though only temp, rain and humidity.

I only believe in using ventusky and so far they are predicting stunning weather

I'm more concerned about protest action than the weather

Why?

ha ha ha,

i enjoy ignoring it

Urgent reminder to fill in medical questionnaire.  LOL...

Why?

the first time they put it out it came with some clear marketing for their health insurance sponsor.

then they backtracked and said it was for safety

then it didn't work (like the questionnaire constantly froze)

then some serious threats that if you didn't do it they would disqualify you and drown a puppy.

nothing happened.

so basically i ignore it, it doesn't make sense but it's my way of protesting how they handled it initially.

if i'm in a crash they have my medical aid already and they got anything you need to know (i'm low risk too with no anomolies)

Problem is, the race is pretty much an "out and back" kinda shape. So unless the wind changes 180 Deg when you hit half way, you going to have it both ways. The South Easter or Cape Dr as it is commonly known as is the most common wind and that means in basic terms head wind for first half and tail wind home. But then you add gusts to that and wind bouncing off mountains and it all changes. So basically it doesn't matter what direction it blows, just hope that it is light.

or it's windless at dawn and the SE picks up as the day warms up - most likely useful scenario

It's starting to get close now. Finish line barricades and seating has gone up and the sweepers are crawling down the Blue Route.

Rode through Noordhoek on Sunday and the roadworks there are all good so there's no uneven sections in the road. Best bit is they haven't put down any cateyes yet so hopefully they keep it like that until next week.

You found your seat in Bootlegger for Beer and burgers after second lap?

I only believe in using ventusky and so far they are predicting stunning weather

I'm more concerned about protest action than the weather

Why?

Cheers!

That helped a lot. 

My little contribution to this thread.

Work commitments and then picking up a non-Corona flu virus means I haven't touched my bike in 3 weeks now and coupled with a taper that started in December means that I am just going to trundle around slowly on Sunday (if I am still slightly feverish and coughing then I might just be a supporter this year)

Should be a great day out on the bike looking at the weather forecasts and I will try and get my entry fees worth of coke and Powerade in. If the refreshment station at Perdekloof was still sponsored by Bar One I would probably just hang out there for an hour or 2.

Hope you all have a good and safe ride and just enjoy being able to cruise the peninsula on two wheels.