Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Using phone apps with GPS on all the time will result in very hot phone and flat battery after 3 to 4 hours.

Rather keep your phone charged in case of emergency.

Never had issue with iphone .. just switch on low power mode, then battery last longer than 10 hrs with more than enough power for emergency's .. ive not done any races longer while using the phone, so cannot say full run time.

dunno if posted already ... good news regarding protests (well, some of it)

https://www.capetowncycletour.com/blog/newsflash-route-information-update/

Following a constructive, frank and open discussion with representatives of the Ocean View community and social activist, Fadiel Adams, the Cape Town Cycle Tour is pleased to advise that a mutual understanding of each other’s challenges and concerns were shared, and has resulted in the withdrawal for the call of disruption of the Cape Town Cycle Tour in the Ocean View area.

During the meeting, the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust committed to continue working closely with all communities that the Cycle Tour touches, with a view to further strengthening communications and finding additional ways of giving back.

“We discussed ways in which we could assist in securing much-needed support for identified and deserving projects in the area. We encourage all cyclists to show their support for the residents of Ocean View when passing by. They will have a silent protest and will be dressed in black to highlight the plight of safety and security for their families and loved ones in areas like Ocean View” said David Bellairs, a director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust.

Each year the Cape Town Cycle Tour, through its beneficiaries Rotary Club of Claremont and Pedal Power Association (PPA), invest a considerable amount of money and support towards social upliftment and cycling development projects in underprivileged communities throughout the Cape.

My basic Samsung J8 informs significant others of my position on every ride - from 1 to 9 hours without running flat or overheating using Garmin Live track - a service which seems to have ironed out it's teething problems.

My stupid iPhone 5 gets super hot just from a 30 min drive with Waze on. And its battery power gets halved in that 30 mins.

My stupid iPhone 5 gets super hot just from a 30 min drive with Waze on. And its battery power gets halved in that 30 mins.

I have a sharp wooden stake in you want to borrow it to sort that iPhone out once and for all.......best thing mine ever did was to get stolen. :thumbup:   

Doesn't Apple turn those into bricks if you update the software?

peddling a smartphone that was first released 8 years ago....impressive lol.

i had a 5 that lasted me 5 years before i got mugged and had to get a new one a few years back.

These are usually tell tale signs that LiPo batteries are about to die a fiery death though lol. (getting hot and not holding charge....it probably gets hot while charging too 

Edited by morneS555

you cant force update (and brick) tthe older ones anymore. they just become unsuported. i still have a working iphone 2 and 4. use them as music players.an old iphone just becomes an ipod lol

Edited by morneS555

I think they are trying hard because I am refusing to pay R20K for a phone.

Edited by Moridin

peddling a smartphone that was first released 8 years ago....impressive lol.

i had a 5 that lasted me 5 years before i got mugged and had to get a new one a few years back.

These are usually tell tale signs that LiPo batteries are about to die a fiery death though lol. (getting hot and not holding charge....it probably gets hot while charging too 

Don't get me started on not being able to buy a new battery from Apple. I am very good with electronics, but somehow I have to pay them megabucks just to replace a battery. And yes, I know exactly how to open these buggers.

Number collected :-) 

Didn't have a chance to look around, basically ran from a meeting, hit the Expo and then had to rush back into the office. 

dunno if posted already ... good news regarding protests (well, some of it)

https://www.capetowncycletour.com/blog/newsflash-route-information-update/

Following a constructive, frank and open discussion with representatives of the Ocean View community and social activist, Fadiel Adams, the Cape Town Cycle Tour is pleased to advise that a mutual understanding of each other’s challenges and concerns were shared, and has resulted in the withdrawal for the call of disruption of the Cape Town Cycle Tour in the Ocean View area.

During the meeting, the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust committed to continue working closely with all communities that the Cycle Tour touches, with a view to further strengthening communications and finding additional ways of giving back.

“We discussed ways in which we could assist in securing much-needed support for identified and deserving projects in the area. We encourage all cyclists to show their support for the residents of Ocean View when passing by. They will have a silent protest and will be dressed in black to highlight the plight of safety and security for their families and loved ones in areas like Ocean View” said David Bellairs, a director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust.

Each year the Cape Town Cycle Tour, through its beneficiaries Rotary Club of Claremont and Pedal Power Association (PPA), invest a considerable amount of money and support towards social upliftment and cycling development projects in underprivileged communities throughout the Cape.

Cool black arm band Sunday it is

Are you allowed to cable-tie the number board to your seatpost?  

It's a bit awkward on the bars with cable and garmin etc