Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

Did a 3.10 from 1K which is 4 minutes faster than the fastest of my 3 CTCT. Pleased with it but could have shaved another 4 or 5 minutes off it if cramps had stayed away. I don't think my legs were used to what they had to do to get to the top of Edinburgh drive still in touch with the leaders of 1K.

A sub 3 is on if I get a better seeding, don't cramp and the weather is perfect I think. Maybe one day.

Massive peletons were quite scary and then this happened right in front of me. I consider myself extremely lucky to have ridden through this mess without even having to unclip.

Hope all involved were not too badly hurt and that the bikes are all ok too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwsliBKRfqE

Resolution way better on the file I uploaded - youtube compression doing something I don't understand.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll be at least 30 minutes faster on your 29er. The Hub said so...

Probably more on mine, those on the The Hub who know me will tell you I run my knobbly tyres down to slicks. This would surely have given me a boost today  :whistling:

post-38519-0-13012700-1583670825_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the time, especially on a MTB. I have mad respect for anyone keeping up with the roadies on a MTB.

The crash was quite bad I'd say. I was about 10 bikes behind. Heard a crash, followed by shouting and then stuff flying in the air. I just managed to stop from riding over someone. Think the pack was doing around 40 at the time. Went off to the side to get out the way and looking back there was some really hurt people.

@JohanDiv, the Savage guy was ok albeit a little banged up. My sister saw him pull in a few minutes ahead of me.

The amount of bottles I saw getting dropped was crazy. One almost took out a guy next to me but he had some fine jumping skills and managed to hop it.

Thanks, I only saw one other 26er and it was proper old school with v-brakes and a 3x8 setup. Lady said her road bike was stolen a week ago and she could not find a replacement in time. That is epic - you go girl! 

The crash happened in front of me I'll never forget the sound and the bit of the aftermath I saw from the side of the road. Good luck to anyone recovering from that. 

Anyone know how bad the 2C group crash on the M3 was? I was at the back and had to jump the side walk to get to the slipway around it. It sounded horrendous and looked the part too. 

Pleased I dropped back from 2C then.

Rode in 3E with my partner who was doing her first. She started riding a year ago, got her bike in April and was very apprehensive and just wanted to finish. We started VERY conservatively, not riding in any of the bunches that came past; but that was only until Scarborough when she realised she could do it and put foot.

I counted 229 people she passed up Suikerbossie (12 passed us) and we finished just over 3h40 on my Garmin.

Perfect weather and perfect race except for the lighty on a MTB who unclipped his feet, assumed the superman position with his legs outstretched behind him, dropped his hands onto the top of his

fork to get more aero weaving through the bunches on the blue route.

I was in the 2C crash and waiting to get some lekker stitches (yay)

From what I heard someone swerved, clipped a wheel and took out a rider or two. Thereafter it was chaos. It looked like dominos - I managed to slow down but got hit from behind. I would say it was propably more than 10 of us hitting the deck.

My Garmin says I was doing 35 km/h before getting airborne. - fyi tether your Garmin folks

Managed to carry my bike to a waterpoint where a miracle worker managed to get both wheels to turn and derailleurs to shift.

Glad I could finish the race but I will stay out of big twitchy bunches for a while I think.

Congratulations to everyone who got their PB today

Had a great ride despite a few disappointments.

Firstly my HR and cadence sensors did not connect.

Everything went as planned up to fish Hoek. Caught some awesome small bunches and was cruising nicely.

Then the plan was to stop at fish Hoek and say hello to the family, so I peeled off and slowed right down. Family were nowhere to be seen. It seems I missed them by a few minutes, was riding to fast.

Managed to get back into contention through Glencairn and had an awesome ride until noordhoek where the legs then decided they had been abused a bit, struggled up chappies, struggled up suikerbossie, got caught by Jase halfway up but could not hold on to even that slow pace so dropped off.

From there it was trying to be as aero and conservative as possible.

Missed my sub for by 4 minutes.

Oh No Lynnae -- hope you still on for the Eroica? Assuming you entered which I'm sure you did.

I was in the 2C crash and waiting to get some lekker stitches (yay)

From what I heard someone swerved, clipped a wheel and took out a rider or two. Thereafter it was chaos. It looked like dominos - I managed to slow down but got hit from behind. I would say it was propably more than 10 of us hitting the deck.

My Garmin says I was doing 35 km/h before getting airborne. - fyi tether your Garmin folks

Managed to carry my bike to a waterpoint where a miracle worker managed to get both wheels to turn and derailleurs to shift.

Glad I could finish the race but I will stay out of big twitchy bunches for a while I think.

Congratulations to everyone who got their PB today

Well done to all who finished – been awesome to watch the live feed. 

Thanks for the video Mamil. Seems that the rider in the dazzle jersey was pre-occupied just before accident (looking down, right hand off handlebar, then overreacted to PS rider that was going down)? Hope all racing machines are okay (the carbon ones and the skin ones). 

.........but I will stay out of big twitchy bunches for a while I think.............

Hope to still see you at Eroica next weekend Lynnae :)

Lekker day out, lots of PR's. Had a mare with rear wheel snapping spokes. 

Pretty lame the organizers snubbed the elite ladies and did not give them medals. 

Luckily all of our ladies did 2 laps and picked up medal second time round!

David, Gavin and I completed our 6th CTCT - start JS, 07h01 and finished in 3hr32.

Always amazed at the support and gees along the route.

Well done CTCT for taking the lead in inclusive cycling.

Thank you for all the cheers and words of encouragement and the helping hands on Smits/Chappies and Suikerbossie.

post-7377-0-10932200-1583674917_thumb.jpg

post-7377-0-15013700-1583674936_thumb.jpg

David, Gavin and I completed our 6th CTCT - start JS, 07h01 and finished in 3hr32.

Always amazed at the support and gees along the route.

Well done CTCT for taking the lead in inclusive cycling.

Thank you for all the cheers and words of encouragement and the helping hands on Smits/Chappies and Suikerbossie.

Well done! So impressive!

Team DJR finished all in one piece, full of smiles, but plenty slow. After my crash last year my aim was simply to just ride, get there, have fun with my boys, AVOID kissing the tar and ending up in hospital again. The titanium enhanced arm behaved, but is now very tired. Weather was fantastic, and where we rode, we saw no crashes and no mayhem at all, just people enjoying the most scenic bike ride on earth. The dramatic difference between the weather on the False Bay side and the Atlantic side was quite something. Back at home we were presented with a cake to celebrate (recovery cake?) - please, understand the the cake decorator is not a cyclist! (Although she lives in a house full of bicycles) But the thought is what counts, isn't it?

post-17716-0-22989600-1583675426_thumb.jpg