Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

The eBikes aren't timed (no race chips registered for them).

Anyone can enter the ebike category (in the past you needed special permission to ride on one; normally for medical reasons).

There is no perfect place for the ebikes to start becuase they are quick uphill; quick into the wind; but slow (relatively speaking) on the flats.

Most ebikes only have enough battery for one loop - but its a close call form most ebikes on a 109km range.

Good idea about different numbers as a differentiator.

As long as you get your medal, why worry about theirs? They are not official finishers (as they have no official time). 

The Cycle Tour is a celebration of cycling. There are always going to be safety issues from all segments of riders. Its a lot of people going around the Peninsula and there will always be idiots . But the majority are fun-loving folk who just enjoy the day out (racing or not). 

Except there were e-Bikes that were timed and got official times. How else do you ride almost 2h30 from a 5 group if you were not screaming along on an e-Bike with spare batteries?

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another great edition of the cycling carnaval.

Well done to all the volunteers. So many.

And I tip my helmet to the first responders.

For those visiting Table Mountain, hope the coffee down here was good.

Edited by 'Dale

I got round my first lap and then did a second lap joining my mom on her E-bike from 6F.

she is not fit anymore and was extremely happy with her sub 5 effort.

the E-bike gives her the opportunity to enjoy the ride even though her fitness levels are slipping.

on the flats and downs it was all her own steam.

Beautiful day out on bike. We decided to have a casual ride with plenty stops along the way. One of guys celebrated his 50th, so we all had fun. It was good to see the Pure Savage group on their second lap.

E-Bikes

I'm not sure if it was a good idea to start them off in the last batch. They just come past at such a speed. I saw many "fun riders" becoming annoyed with the way in which the e-bikers were passing the groups. You get use to the speed of your follow cyclists around you, then all of sudden a "motorbike" comes passed. It rattled many people. Another issue was people getting towed up the climbs by e-bikes. #fail

Second Lap

I don't understand the necessity to race the second lap. Your second lap should used to help struggling riders, or pass on advice. Same issue as the E-Bikers. The speed difference is vast. Again the slower riders pannick and accidents happen. The guys and gilrs from Pure Savage, in my opinion did it the correctly.

Bike Setup

It's shocking with the many "fun riders" bike setup's. Either the saddles were either sky high or the person was sitting on his crossbar. I saw so many people on newer bikes, but the frame sizes were totally incorrect. The LBS are selling people the wrong size bikes just to clear stock off their floor.

Clothing

Shame there should be a Cyclists IQ Test. The clothing choices during the day is worring. I saw so many people wearing arm warmers, leg warmers, gilets and shoe covers. Yes I do know that some  religions have to cover up their bodies. But these were none of those. The Expo bargin hunters. I saw the same at the 94,7 last year. People don't take time out to see what the race weather conditions will be the next day. They just wear anything or everything. Too much clothing and the body over heats and this leads to higher fluid loses. Then it's the events fault that they can't complete the event.

I got round my first lap and then did a second lap joining my mom on her E-bike from 6F.

she is not fit anymore and was extremely happy with her sub 5 effort.

the E-bike gives her the opportunity to enjoy the ride even though her fitness levels are slipping.

on the flats and downs it was all her own steam.

I think you rode with us for quite a while on that 2nd lap. Did you have a red jersey on?

I saw a lady with a bib that looked like she was wearing blank pantyhoses.  :eek:

saw plenty of those...on both sides  :wacko:

Beautiful day out on bike. We decided to have a casual ride with plenty stops along the way. One of guys celebrated his 50th, so we all had fun. It was good to see the Pure Savage group on their second lap.

E-Bikes

I'm not sure if it was a good idea to start them off in the last batch. They just come past at such a speed. I saw many "fun riders" becoming annoyed with the way in which the e-bikers were passing the groups. You get use to the speed of your follow cyclists around you, then all of sudden a "motorbike" comes passed. It rattled many people. Another issue was people getting towed up the climbs by e-bikes. #fail

Second Lap

I don't understand the necessity to race the second lap. Your second lap should used to help struggling riders, or pass on advice. Same issue as the E-Bikers. The speed difference is vast. Again the slower riders pannick and accidents happen. The guys and gilrs from Pure Savage, in my opinion did it the correctly.

Bike Setup

It's shocking with the many "fun riders" bike setup's. Either the saddles were either sky high or the person was sitting on his crossbar. I saw so many people on newer bikes, but the frame sizes were totally incorrect. The LBS are selling people the wrong size bikes just to clear stock off their floor.

Clothing

Shame there should be a Cyclists IQ Test. The clothing choices during the day is worring. I saw so many people wearing arm warmers, leg warmers, gilets and shoe covers. Yes I do know that some  religions have to cover up their bodies. But these were none of those. The Expo bargin hunters. I saw the same at the 94,7 last year. People don't take time out to see what the race weather conditions will be the next day. They just wear anything or everything. Too much clothing and the body over heats and this leads to higher fluid loses. Then it's the events fault that they can't complete the event.

Thank you and yes some very valid points. 

We saw gillet only, tracksuit tops and people sockless.

Must be dam strong rider cause rules state no assistance above 25km/h .. so he had to peddle all the extra weight at 35km/h .. respect

Not really if you can climb at 25kph you are already up at the front of the field. then on the flats and downs the weight actually helps. Think of a fattie like me, almost 30kg overweight. I do not really see any disadvantage on the flats (excepts that I am unfit) and it is a definate boon on the blue route, smits, chappies and suikerbossie decents. 

I see I posted 80kph down blue route.

I’ve been reading all the comments on e-bikers, wondering whether or not to wade into the debate or keep quiet…

So on the assumption that the organizers read and take note of this forum have decided, for better or worse, to wade in.

First a little background.

I’m a 66 year old male, 1.85m and 82kgs who suffered a heart attack in 2005.

Double stent angioplasty in September and a triple bypass in January 2006.

Had always enjoyed road running but the cardiac ‘event’ put paid to that so, on the advice of my sub-3 cardiologist, took up road cycling.

And LOVED it.

First ‘Argus’ was 2009, a baptism of wind !!

Got round in about 7 hours.

2010/11/12/13/14 all good and my PB improved to under 4.30.

Missed 2015 – busy sailing across the Atlantic.

2016 another good ride but was diagnosed with cancer later that year.

The Lance Armstrong variety – so now I’m a ‘uni-baller’ !!

2017 was cancelled – and what a relief for me that was !

Much better ride in 2018 but then, in September, I got tick-bite fever.

TBF is a bitch, unless diagnosed (and treated) very early – which mine wasn’t.

Recovery can be very slow, and missed last year’s Tour – my limbs were just stuffed.

So I was back in the saddle yesterday, started in 4D, and, although slow up Edinburgh Drive, got to Miller’s Point in good time.

And then the fatigue set in, no power in the climbs and eventually finished in just under 6 hours.

So am I a candidate for an e-Bike ride next year ?

(On the basis of illness or that I was 90 minutes slower than my PB ?)

No way – NOT EVER.

I love ‘The Argus” – it is such an enormous privilege to have one of the world’s most spectacular highways given over to cyclists for a day.

The carnival atmosphere is awesome.

The sight of those handicapped okes' arms grinding their recumbent three-wheelers uphill humbles me to the core.

If they can do it by sheer guts and will-power then so can I.

Even if it means finishing in six or so hours….

For me its the taking part that counts - not the breaking of some speed record.

Those days may be gone for a while, so I might as well just man-up and accept it.

Meanwhile...

A sub-4 on an e-bike ?

Will somebody explain to me, like I’m a five-year old, what is the point ???

Edited by 3wings

I’ve been reading all the comments on e-bikers, wondering whether or not to wade into the debate or keep quiet…

So on the assumption that the organizers read and take note of this forum have decided, for better or worse, to wade in.

Had always enjoyed road running but the cardiac ‘event’ put paid to that so, on the advice of my sub-3 cardiologist, took up road cycling.

And LOVED it.

Gentle ride in 2017 – for very obvious reasons !

Recovery can be very slow, and missed last year’s Tour – my limbs were just stuffed.

So I was back in the saddle yesterday, started in 4D, and, although slow up Edinburgh Drive, got to Miller’s Point in good time.

And then the fatigue set in, no power in the climbs and eventually finished in just under 6 hours.

No way – NOT EVER.

I love ‘The Argus” – it is such an enormous privilege to have one of the world’s most spectacular highways given over to cyclists for a day.

The sight of those handicapped okes arms grinding their recumbent three-wheelers uphill humbles me to the core.

Those days may be gone for a while, so I might as well just man-up and accept it.

Meanwhile...

A sub-4 on an e-bike ?

What

has

your 

poor

enter

key 

done 

to

deserve

so

much 

punishment

?

And LOVED it.

No way – NOT EVER.

The sight of those handicapped okes arms grinding their recumbent three-wheelers uphill humbles me to the core.

Meanwhile...

A sub-4 on an e-bike ?

good for you.

I don't think i'll either ever ride it on an ebike.

'

But I'm more than happy for a bunch to ride it in their own group for their own reasons, i can't answer why they do it, I don't think i have to.

And LOVED it.

No way – NOT EVER.

Meanwhile...

A sub-4 on an e-bike ?

Congrats on finishing, You have really had your fair share of bad luck and Kudos for never giving up. Respect. I started reading your post and thought it would end up with "and that is why I ride an e-bike".

And LOVED it.

No way – NOT EVER.

Meanwhile...

A sub-4 on an e-bike ?

Well done to you sir.

PS. Like you said, those recumbent arm-driven cyclists are Next-Level and a major inspiration.

And LOVED it.

No way – NOT EVER.

Meanwhile...

A sub-4 on an e-bike ?

Saw a dude with a plastic leg, on MTB, no battery!!! (maybe inside leg???! :ph34r: ) :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup: