Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

@ CTCT Ride report:

I decide ot collect my number on Saturday. The week was just too full of events and family obligations so Saturday got the nod. Entry to the stadium was esy as usual with no hiccups. Walking along fan lane I couldn;t help but hear the sounds of about 15,000 Uruguyanfootball fans singing Jamie Roos "Vamo Arriba la Celeste" ringing back to 2010.

Inside a pretty young blonde lady asked if I want to try the Edinburgh challenge on the Tacx Neo 2T. Why not, lets just do a 1km TT the day before Fun Ride World Champs. What could go wrong?

Nothing it seems, 21st fastest time and I didn;t try too hard so I was starting to feel more at ease with this @ business.

After I finished, now dripping with sweat, I walked over to collect my number. A friendly face asks If i've been served I said no so she proceeds to ask the next guy if he had been helped. we look at each other and wonder ......WTF?!?! We both so in unison "I/He said NO !" CTCT sometimes brings the best out of cyclists.

the Expo itself was ...well....dull. No vibe. he nicest stuff was the new Giant colour ways, Swift Carbon bikes back in SA looking as sharp as ever, Pave and the huge Ciovita blow out CTCT sale. I still don;t like your cycling tog bag BTW, it needs serious revision.

that night I can't say i had the best sleep. the prospect of dicing it out with some of hte best 20-29 and 40-49 year olds in the country weighed on my psyche.

I was up at 3h50, 10min earlier than ai set my alarm for. did the usual ablusions, had breaky and hopped in the car (it was packed the night before).

the Drive through was smooth peaceful, not a breath of wind except in Muizenberg. Wind is made in Muizenberg so it always blows).

I arrived at the Greek club, got prepped and headed into town with my mates. So this was the first time we'd been seeded together in 30yrs of participation. Photos were needed.

By 6am we were in our chute. Fashionably late but there was only 198 in @ so no biggy.

@ 6h20@ left the Parade,...in a resepcatble manner. No dashing for the on ramp just a smooth considered pace but it didn't last. Our first near crash happened on the M3 just as we exit the on ramp. this happens every year so I expected it. On the way to Hospital bend, two more near misses as riders did stupid things. take "Andreas" for example. Andreas was riding a gravel bike like a mountain bike on single track. Andreas was being a knob. Please peeps, don't be like Andreas. Andreas was the cause of lots of foreign language phrases being issued. this continued a long way into the race. So I decided that I need to stay away from Andreas.

Hospital bend was negotiated safely form what I could tell. I didn't hear any carbon crunching sounds and then the usual UCT concertina brought out some more colourful phrases from many. The speed was now starting to build. We had a few savages around but they seemed rather muted in race tactics.

Edinburgh was where thescrews got tightened, charges loaded and a full broad side assault on the legs. Some riders went down with the HOOD, and it would take the survivors till Simons town to catch back up.

I went over the top of Edinburgh with the front of the pack and kept the pedal pressure on, staying right of the centre line. Once again there were dropped bottles but handled without panic so no crashed down Wynberg.

Along the M3 I decided ot just sit in the middle of the first third as the breeze was starting to build from the South. The end of the M3  and into Lakeside was handle well with no one hitting the island as far as I could tell. the speeds were high and we dispatched Lakeside, Muizenberg, St James and Kalk bay without drama. Outside Fish Hoek Andrea caused some mayhem again with his weaving through  a tightly packed bunch. Fortunately the guy whose wheel he clipped was a skilled bike handler and even a full on broadslide couldn't bring him down. Surviving that tank slapper took skill. A tapped him on the shoulder and said well done.

Simons Town was just a haze as I couldn't see a thing riding into the rising sun. I probably need a new pair of lenses as oakley scratches if you breath too hard on them.

Hitting Martello Hill on Queens Road i could sense the angst was rising. Riders were starting to worry about their positioning for Smits Winkel. We rushed pat Boulders beach, down past Foggies Pond and Smits was looming ever closer.

The wind was already starting to pick up as the pace seemed a little too soft. Some okes with nervous energy went off the front only to be seen again a few minutes later before they were never seen again after the reserve entrance. I climbed at my pace and it seemed more than good enough to hold my own. I was feeling confident.

The roll down Blue Gum alley was fast and a few dropped bottles added more tension to the air than we needed.

Perdekraal added some hurt before the descent to Scarborough. This twisty descent had me on edge a bit as riders were just totally oblivious to others needs for space  and line through the corners. I could tell Zwift is common use. Seems like Zwift needs to add some reminder flags like "rider you have passed has not disappeared into thin air. He's still there so give him space".

the climb from Misty Cliffs to Ocean view shelled a few more out the back. There was some seriously high Heart rates and heavy breathing but no touching. A bit like Maverick's on a Saturday night.

the right hander at the bottom of the hill was taken cleanly and we were on the final burn to the two most talked about features of the day. Chappies and Suikerbossie.

the boys started winding the pace up from Sun Valley Mall already. By the time we hit Jakes the bunch was thinning out already. Up up Up littel Chappies we rose. Legs still felt good So i knew I could crest with the main group. About 2km from the top someone lit the afterburner and the pace went up. I let the group go a little and started stoking the fire with more coal . I had just stabilised the gap when one of those Zwifters came past and switched me into the wall. Rhythm upset and a sudden movement to clipped the foot to prevent a fall caused a little bit of a twinge in my left calve. I clipped back in and gave chase. I's lost 100m in this and had to chase hard. Over the top my left calf muscle started to cramp a bit and I had to ease off. No problem I can catch a big bunch on my own. I did it before.....But not this time. They were too fast.

I chased with a group of 5 guys, into Hout Bay and onto Suikerbossie. The Elastic was snapped. the main @ bunch was going away and my calf wasn't helping. I still PB'd Suikerbossie through thte cramp and now had to chase the descent to try and limit the loses.

The first tandem came hauling past at the BRT station  but I couldn't get on so I let it go. The econd one had David and Michele hauling ass down the descent and Ihad built enough steam to up the pressure and get onto the bus.. When My turn came I couldn't go around, tahts how fast we were going. Never had this problem in the last 6 months so I conceded defeat and let better riders takeup the work. All through Camps Bay we hauled. Then the last two challenges came up; the left hander that heads down the hill to the traffic circle on beach road and the right hander onto Beach Rd.

At the left hander a rider came down and we scattered. I took the left lane in the gutter and got through behind my chum Marius and got back up to the train now building speed again I took my line into the traffic circle and some .......person decided to try and squeeze up the inside.. I'm not sure how it ended for him but I was still upright, annoyed and chasing..

We caught the David MIchele train at the pool and that's were I stayed. We passed the remnants of the @ accident. It didn't look good. That finish line was the most welcome one I've seen in a while. I didn't bother sprinting for 360th because I just wanted to get over the  line to enjoy my Coke.

that's the 22nd one down. A highly anxious ride but I'll be back next year, fitter stronger and more matured,.......like a good single malt.

Lekker write up! 

Andreas I saw had an explosion in Camps bay, lost all his sealant and rode to the line on the rim. #Sub3BABY

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ CTCT Ride report:

I decide ot collect my number on Saturday. The week was just too full of events and family obligations so Saturday got the nod. Entry to the stadium was esy as usual with no hiccups. Walking along fan lane I couldn;t help but hear the sounds of about 15,000 Uruguyanfootball fans singing Jamie Roos "Vamo Arriba la Celeste" ringing back to 2010.

Inside a pretty young blonde lady asked if I want to try the Edinburgh challenge on the Tacx Neo 2T. Why not, lets just do a 1km TT the day before Fun Ride World Champs. What could go wrong?

Nothing it seems, 21st fastest time and I didn;t try too hard so I was starting to feel more at ease with this @ business.

After I finished, now dripping with sweat, I walked over to collect my number. A friendly face asks If i've been served I said no so she proceeds to ask the next guy if he had been helped. we look at each other and wonder ......WTF?!?! We both so in unison "I/He said NO !" CTCT sometimes brings the best out of cyclists.

the Expo itself was ...well....dull. No vibe. he nicest stuff was the new Giant colour ways, Swift Carbon bikes back in SA looking as sharp as ever, Pave and the huge Ciovita blow out CTCT sale. I still don;t like your cycling tog bag BTW, it needs serious revision.

that night I can't say i had the best sleep. the prospect of dicing it out with some of hte best 20-29 and 40-49 year olds in the country weighed on my psyche.

I was up at 3h50, 10min earlier than ai set my alarm for. did the usual ablusions, had breaky and hopped in the car (it was packed the night before).

the Drive through was smooth peaceful, not a breath of wind except in Muizenberg. Wind is made in Muizenberg so it always blows).

I arrived at the Greek club, got prepped and headed into town with my mates. So this was the first time we'd been seeded together in 30yrs of participation. Photos were needed.

By 6am we were in our chute. Fashionably late but there was only 198 in @ so no biggy.

@ 6h20@ left the Parade,...in a resepcatble manner. No dashing for the on ramp just a smooth considered pace but it didn't last. Our first near crash happened on the M3 just as we exit the on ramp. this happens every year so I expected it. On the way to Hospital bend, two more near misses as riders did stupid things. take "Andreas" for example. Andreas was riding a gravel bike like a mountain bike on single track. Andreas was being a knob. Please peeps, don't be like Andreas. Andreas was the cause of lots of foreign language phrases being issued. this continued a long way into the race. So I decided that I need to stay away from Andreas.

Hospital bend was negotiated safely form what I could tell. I didn't hear any carbon crunching sounds and then the usual UCT concertina brought out some more colourful phrases from many. The speed was now starting to build. We had a few savages around but they seemed rather muted in race tactics.

Edinburgh was where thescrews got tightened, charges loaded and a full broad side assault on the legs. Some riders went down with the HOOD, and it would take the survivors till Simons town to catch back up.

I went over the top of Edinburgh with the front of the pack and kept the pedal pressure on, staying right of the centre line. Once again there were dropped bottles but handled without panic so no crashed down Wynberg.

Along the M3 I decided ot just sit in the middle of the first third as the breeze was starting to build from the South. The end of the M3  and into Lakeside was handle well with no one hitting the island as far as I could tell. the speeds were high and we dispatched Lakeside, Muizenberg, St James and Kalk bay without drama. Outside Fish Hoek Andrea caused some mayhem again with his weaving through  a tightly packed bunch. Fortunately the guy whose wheel he clipped was a skilled bike handler and even a full on broadslide couldn't bring him down. Surviving that tank slapper took skill. A tapped him on the shoulder and said well done.

Simons Town was just a haze as I couldn't see a thing riding into the rising sun. I probably need a new pair of lenses as oakley scratches if you breath too hard on them.

Hitting Martello Hill on Queens Road i could sense the angst was rising. Riders were starting to worry about their positioning for Smits Winkel. We rushed pat Boulders beach, down past Foggies Pond and Smits was looming ever closer.

The wind was already starting to pick up as the pace seemed a little too soft. Some okes with nervous energy went off the front only to be seen again a few minutes later before they were never seen again after the reserve entrance. I climbed at my pace and it seemed more than good enough to hold my own. I was feeling confident.

The roll down Blue Gum alley was fast and a few dropped bottles added more tension to the air than we needed.

Perdekraal added some hurt before the descent to Scarborough. This twisty descent had me on edge a bit as riders were just totally oblivious to others needs for space  and line through the corners. I could tell Zwift is common use. Seems like Zwift needs to add some reminder flags like "rider you have passed has not disappeared into thin air. He's still there so give him space".

the climb from Misty Cliffs to Ocean view shelled a few more out the back. There was some seriously high Heart rates and heavy breathing but no touching. A bit like Maverick's on a Saturday night.

the right hander at the bottom of the hill was taken cleanly and we were on the final burn to the two most talked about features of the day. Chappies and Suikerbossie.

the boys started winding the pace up from Sun Valley Mall already. By the time we hit Jakes the bunch was thinning out already. Up up Up littel Chappies we rose. Legs still felt good So i knew I could crest with the main group. About 2km from the top someone lit the afterburner and the pace went up. I let the group go a little and started stoking the fire with more coal . I had just stabilised the gap when one of those Zwifters came past and switched me into the wall. Rhythm upset and a sudden movement to clipped the foot to prevent a fall caused a little bit of a twinge in my left calve. I clipped back in and gave chase. I's lost 100m in this and had to chase hard. Over the top my left calf muscle started to cramp a bit and I had to ease off. No problem I can catch a big bunch on my own. I did it before.....But not this time. They were too fast.

I chased with a group of 5 guys, into Hout Bay and onto Suikerbossie. The Elastic was snapped. the main @ bunch was going away and my calf wasn't helping. I still PB'd Suikerbossie through thte cramp and now had to chase the descent to try and limit the loses.

The first tandem came hauling past at the BRT station  but I couldn't get on so I let it go. The econd one had David and Michele hauling ass down the descent and Ihad built enough steam to up the pressure and get onto the bus.. When My turn came I couldn't go around, tahts how fast we were going. Never had this problem in the last 6 months so I conceded defeat and let better riders takeup the work. All through Camps Bay we hauled. Then the last two challenges came up; the left hander that heads down the hill to the traffic circle on beach road and the right hander onto Beach Rd.

At the left hander a rider came down and we scattered. I took the left lane in the gutter and got through behind my chum Marius and got back up to the train now building speed again I took my line into the traffic circle and some .......person decided to try and squeeze up the inside.. I'm not sure how it ended for him but I was still upright, annoyed and chasing..

We caught the David MIchele train at the pool and that's were I stayed. We passed the remnants of the @ accident. It didn't look good. That finish line was the most welcome one I've seen in a while. I didn't bother sprinting for 360th because I just wanted to get over the  line to enjoy my Coke.

that's the 22nd one down. A highly anxious ride but I'll be back next year, fitter stronger and more matured,.......like a good single malt.

Well Done, Lekker post.

Lekker write up! 

Andreas I saw had an explosion in Camps bay, lost all his sealant and rode to the line on the rim. #Sub3BABY

,<sarcasm on> oh that's so sad....<Sarcasm off>

One never wishes ill fortune upon ones rivals so i have mixed emotions.  :unsure:

I hope no one was injured during this episode!

,<sarcasm on> oh that's so sad....<Sarcasm off>

One never wishes ill fortune upon ones rivals so i have mixed emotions.  :unsure:

I hope no one was injured during this episode!

No, just some spectators that got sprayed with sealant.

How about Elderly/sick/obese people trying to loose weight.

All these people who still want to enjoy riding while not putting undue strain on their hearts

Furbs dont stress about the negative feedback .... just part of a healthy debate, allowing each "side" to state their opinions ....

I can certainly say that my opinion has changed over the last 6 months ... and for different reasons over this period ...

I have mostly had very interactions with eriders on the trails, then again, out on the trail I greet most riders and enjoy interacting with people on the trails.  But at the same time I wanted to see how far my own legs could take me.  For me it was almost a 12 month build up to riding up Dorstberg with friends on my 50th birthday.  My only goal was to do it with zero walking, no matter how often I had to rest.  On some of the practice runs my sugar levels tanked, my knees suffered ... but on my 50th I made it to the top under my own steam.  So I do understand those that want to keep going under their own steam !  There certainly is a level of satisfaction in it !!  No matter how slow, no matter stopping to catch your breath, but getting it done on your own is nice.

And then I got to a point where Maritz started getting his riding legs ... thankfully not his lungs ....  He will blast off from the get go, and for the first 3km I would have a high hart rate keeping up with him !!  The next 3km we would ride together nicely .... and then his stamina would run out, still not bad for an 8 year old, turning 9 shortly.  The writing was on the wall.  Another 2 maybe 3 years and I was going to struggle keeping up with him .... Given his temperament, he would slow down and ride with me, but that stall his growth curve .... so we made peace that I would an ebike "in a few years" to keep up with ... until then I was doing IDT training and longer rides on my own to make sure I could keep up with him under my own steam for as long as possible .....

Now add to this that I need to inject myself weekly as part of my arthritis treatment .... so my riding is certainly short and slow by most measures, but as much as I could push myself, but still enjoying every moment of being able to do it under my own steam

That said, see me on a trail ... and there is no sign board over my head stating "old/fragile/over weight" ....  I have fun with other riders, enjoy the trails ... just cant do long or fast rides.  I know a lady that at age 18 was bound to a wheel chair due to her arthritis, high on meds she would walk about and there would be zero "sign" that she is barely mobile.  So to those that are looking at a rider and making "visual judgements" .... uhm ja, just be GLAD you are capable of doing it under your own steam.

That said, as with every group, there are those couple of racing snakes that clearly dont need an ebike .... guess what.  "So what ?"  They are not seeded, they did not win anything .... for whatever reason it gave them "fun" to do it this way.  As long as they dont ride in a wreckles manner, and apparently both a few normal riders and a few eriders did not play nicely, let them have their fun.

Riding badly, acting like a chop, is not a function of the bike under you ....

getting back to my journey .... 16 January 2020 I could not complete a ride of the Hermanus trails, had to limp back on the tar.  All things considered my rhuematologist asked that I have good hard think about the use of an ebike, and saving my arthritic joints (many more than just the knees) ....  Let's just say I have a new found appreciation for those many eriders that have reasons for not doing such an event on a normal bike.  AND I can understand why they would still want to do the event, reasons include the vibe, the view, the comaradery, etc ... the view is about the only thing you get to experience if you do it outside of a race day.  Maybe one day we can all take part in these events, and be happy for all those that take part irrespective what bike they ride.

And would it not be super nice if in such an eutopia we did not have to deal with those riders that have the need to shout at people to get out of their way ... again, irrespective of the bike beneath them.

right now I would settle for getting out on a trail again, nevermind any long distance events ... almost 2 months off the bike .... the rehab IS working, but dammit, does it have to take this long .... so ignore my rumblings, reading all the hate is just so dissapointing ...

Its now Tuesday morning and I'm STILL numb in my 'nether regions'.... :eek:

Anyone know a cure - or how long this will last ????

Jip, do consider getting a proper bike-fit done.

On my previous bike my ride comfort and distances significantly improved after a proper bike-fit ... and then a year later, doing lots more miles, I started getting some "discomfort" on the saddle ....

I went back for a follow up at Irma ... she checked the settings, and confirmed the setup was good .... then she opened a drawer and replaced my saddle ... Nope, feels weird .... on with another saddle ... NO !! Plain horrible ..... she got a wry smile, and took a saddle from the side of the drawer and installed it - WOW !!!  Think I have done about 1 000km on the saddle and no issues.

And all these saddles had the same height, fore-aft, and angle .... just the way the saddle is shaped.

Turns out my unsofisticated behind loves a good old common RYDER saddle.  :whistling:

Another great report - must say I really like reading about everyone's experiences!!

Lekker write up! 

Haha I enjoyed this part of the report

@ CTCT Ride report:

Nice report, DnD  :thumbup:

But what kit did you wear?! We must have "brushed" shoulders. Was actually just to the left of the incident on chappies. I was in black assos bib and black ciovita top with black helmet and stupid white framed glasses. Giant black/blue/white bike.

Edited by andydude

A Tale of Two Cities.

If any visitors to Cape Town missed the brief on how capricious coastal weather can be, Sunday provided a master class.

Rolling out for #33 in 1C, it was clear and warm (Captain Conservative had a rain jacket in his pocket anyway, more on this later). Through-and-off on the front to make sure to be clear of the numpties down hospital bend - tick. Ditto for Paradise Motors, which nobody ever mentions, but generates new levels of pucker every year. And then, the 1D cats started streaming through, on a mission. Lots of them. Engage Plan B - use Edinburgh Drive to roll backwards, and crest in comfort to let the numpties go mad onto the Blue Route. Success, except the other half of 1D had other plans. Puckergland cramping by the time we slowed down to a simply dangerous speed. Why the hell do people ride this badly? Do we need to ask Zwift to run PSAs? What is there to gain getting to the front, from the back, through the middle on a 70km/h descent? *slides reading glasses back up nose and mutters into cocoa.

Plan B: Hang off the back of the sh*tshow, with time to react.

I wasn't the only sensible one, and we tutted to each other as 1C/D caught what turned out to be 1A/B around Millers. By now, the 'group' was monstrous. That we managed to get past the Guardian Angel cop car protecting the fallen Vets riders without adding to the melee was a miracle. Man, I never want to see that again. Onwards, down to Scarbs (who was the stunned rider sitting on the wrong side of the hay bales), through Misty Cliffs - how big were those waves? - and then the battle to regain some groups after ABCD split to shreds on Ocean View. The price of safety is missing these splits, but finishing in one piece feels kinda worth it. Been there, done that. Etc.

Chappies was a blast. Suikerbossie was a blast - the kidlets were at the bottom with a big banner for dad, who didn't slow down but managed a wave. The descent to Camps Bay was fast and furious, the first full-gas efforts of the day hanging on to some uber-keen (and Uber-speed) H and J riders. Knick's Folly out of Camps Bay was a swine, as ever, but not nearly as bad as when we used to finish at the top of it. Clifton blurred, and with the main H bunch looming behind, a final 'attack' to hit the St Johns Helter Skelter first brought the 430am oats up one last time. And then, the finish, where I broke the self-imposed electronica blackout to see a glorious 2h58:58 - first sub3 since 2007, and definitely one for the wisdom of age rather than the power of youth. Big Yay.

NOTE: zero commentary on individual good riders/bad riders/idiots (although I may have been the nominal gravel bike idiot in our group, spinning the 42-11 out everywhere). Because, to be honest, if you are tilting at the sub3 from the front groups, we all ride like idiots. Fight club, on wheels. Three hours of totally out-of-character aggression, swearing, bumping, pushing, not a smile in sight.

PART II

The above note is why, against government orders, I ride the second lap. Sharing the CTCT with thousands of people who should be hating the day, hating their bikes, hating their bums, hating the weather, hating their life choices. But they don't. 

The start up Nelson Mandela Boulevard was a tad lonely - KOM-Nicker Ross and I riding silently into the growing headwind, wondering if this was a good idea. By Wynberg Hill, we got into the back of the bunches (this is a loose term), so at least there was some company. Already, the day seemed to be proving long, but happiness prevailed. 

E-BIKE NOTE: I must have seen half the e-bike field on the second lap, and I saw no arseholedness at all, either from the e-bikers, or the regular pedal pushers. Happy harmony. Maybe these were the guys and girls who hadn't chipped their steeds (2h48 by an 80-year-old smacks of some dishonesty, doesn't it), and were equally shoulder-chip-less. Healthy banter, nothing more. The e-bikes were the least of the worries, if we want to finger a group for disorderly riding... the lack of experience and bike handling skills is unsurprisingly low, but this is what makes this bike race great. We can all give it a crack.

The Second Lap Savages slid past the Jubilee Square feed station - the only one I found solid munchies of any form on the route, in the form of naked cream crackers. Instant parrot-cage mouth. Regrets, I've had a few... so I hoofed it after them to say hallo, and then returned to the solo mission. You guys are too nauseatingly happy, sometimes a bit of misery is called for. And was it on the way... a few drops on Smits, grey verging on dark in scars... where had summer gone? Where had the morning's summer gone?

Chappies II was reminiscent of 1987. Raindrops the size of watermelons, and a ten-degree drop in temperature were not on the forecast, but Captain Conservative had his rain jacket, so he was warm.  Finally found some food, in the form of a giant choc-chip cookie and the best espresso in Hout Bay at Dario's. Finished the cookie just before the top of Suikerbossie - Gaimon is onto something - and rolled into the finish with yet more happy faces in spite of winds that were now rivalling last year's. Gratefully grab a second medal (against the rules, I know), because bringing home one medal for two toddlers makes the second lap even more worth it. Some would say necessary.

Happy, happy, happy. That is what this event is about, not us wanna-be pros. The second lap is the BEST thing any one frightening 3 hours can do - it takes you back to why you started this cycling lark in the first place. Thank you, CTCT, for letting us do it (and for Sparkie for letting us mess up his timing system).

17km home to Plumstead into that headwind; about those life choices. 33rd Tour done (the second lap doesn't count as 34. Dammit. 256km for the day, 4600 calories burned, happy chappie.

Best. Day. Ever. Every. Year.

Edited by Tim Brink

Nice report, DnD  :thumbup:

But what kit did you wear?! We must have "brushed" shoulders. Was actually just to the left of the incident on chappies. I was in black assos bib and black ciovita top with black helmet and stupid white framed glasses. Giant black/blue/white bike.

Bright Yellow Aether helmet, black frame oakley Radar EV's

black Assos bib and White top with a blue and red helix down the back