Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

"...the climb from Misty Cliffs to Ocean view shelled a few more out the back. There was some seriously high Heart rates and heavy breathing but no touching. A bit like Maverick's on a Saturday night..."

Excerpt from Diesel's race report

Literary genius. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great report Tim!

Plan B: Hang off the back of the sh*tshow, with time to react.

Your Plan B is my Plan A - The safest place to "B"

17km home to Plumstead into that headwind; about those life choices. 33rd Tour done (the second lap doesn't count as 34. Dammit. 256km for the day, 4600 calories burned, happy chappie.

So you're ready for the Big Day Out?

Best. Day. Ever. Every. Year.

Can't agree more - a whole day of bike riding in one of the most beautiful places in the world - what more can one ask for?

Rode with the missus, she dropped back from 2D to 3B.

We had an awesome ride,  this was only my second road event on a roadbike. I was very nervous. The speeds and the amount of people in close proximity had me on edge.

klapped no less than 3 cat-eyes each time crapping my pants. Kept control and luckily my steel zeus is strong as houses.

Had a nice chat with some peeps regarding my classic bike. One gentleman mentioned he is doing his 31st tour, and started back in the day on similar bikes, and me my first on such a bike, was great for him to see.

chappies was not as bad as I thought, cruised up, my bikes gearing not allowing me to chill as much as I would have liked.

I had to wait for the missus after each climb, which brought the heart rate down, and gave the legs a bit of a reprieve.

Suikerbossie gave me a bit of a workout, and honestly, of not for the awesome support, I would have gotten off and pushed. 
After I joined up with the missus at the watertable on top, she smelt home, and I had to borrow matches to catch up to her so we could finish together. She was going like a bat out of hell.

We were certainly blessed with the most perfect day and it gave us a 3:52. I was aiming for anything between 4:30 and 5 so am more than chuffed.

Reading some of these Race Reports has inspired me to concoct something of my own although I don't think I'll be able to compete with any these budding Hemingway's on the Hub...

This was my second CTCT start in the & Group and after losing the front of the group at the top of the Smits last year I was determined to hold on a little longer. After an emergency Physio session on Friday morning to release a tight lower back and friends staying with us (queue multiple nights of drinking) the build up wasn't exactly what you would call 'ideal'...

Start was quick paced with a couple of other Savages remarking how much better it was doing this the first stretch without a block headwind... Although this seemed to encourage a couple to push the pace up paced as we crested the top of Edinburgh Drive more than 2 minutes quicker than 2019. The section along Ladies Mile was quick, with Several Savages driving a pace off the front. Feeling good I decided to have a couple of turns myself but would only later realize I was way out of my depth...

There was a brief breakaway after Muizenberg  but the pack soon hauled them in. My logic was to stay near the front to avoid any troubles on the narrow roads through Kalk Back Bay, Fish Hoek and Simons Town. I was still feeling good and contributed a couple more turns before Smits and then decided to slink quietly back into the pack where I actually belong... The Climb up Smits was brisk but not a deal breaker, arriving at the top the majority of the group was in tact with the fast descent to follow...

As we descended the crash occurred about 20m ahead of me and Nutty (hope you healing up okay Bud) went down along with others... I veered off the road to the right and did a cheeky 20m in the long grass... Somehow managing to stay upright and taking some of the undergrowth with me I emerged back on the road and sprinted to catch the back of the group. And adrenaline rush of note. I would not recommend gravel grinding on 25mm tires at 50km/h. 

The remaining sections were fairly uneventful, I held on until we caught some @ riders in Noordhoek before the big kick happened on Chappies... I exploded quietly (tried to consolidate losses however the damage was done, my heroics off the front earlier had come back to bite me and Suikerbossie and the rest were a real slog... I snuck in with a PB of 2H50 which was well within my 3H00 goal.

Initially my inner critic kicked in about being dropped but a friend, who entered at the last minute with ZERO training and had never ridden on a road bike before (we found him one a day before) put it in perspective when he pointed out that doing this ride is a real privilege, and that we should be grateful to be able to take part in something like this.

That put things into perspective for me. Thank you for the great day out everyone and for those who were not as fortunate to avoid the crashes, heal up soon  :thumbup:

Did anyone see a fat bike or has the scourge passed?

I saw a few, ridden by okes with serious muscles.

EDIT: Compared to me, most of the field have some serious muscles.

Edited by Moridin

A Tale of Two Cities.

If any visitors to Cape Town missed the brief on how capricious coastal weather can be, Sunday provided a master class.

Rolling out for #33 in 1C, it was clear and warm (Captain Conservative had a rain jacket in his pocket anyway, more on this later). Through-and-off on the front to make sure to be clear of the numpties down hospital bend - tick. Ditto for Paradise Motors, which nobody ever mentions, but generates new levels of pucker every year. And then, the 1D cats started streaming through, on a mission. Lots of them. Engage Plan B - use Edinburgh Drive to roll backwards, and crest in comfort to let the numpties go mad onto the Blue Route. Success, except the other half of 1D had other plans. Puckergland cramping by the time we slowed down to a simply dangerous speed. Why the hell do people ride this badly? Do we need to ask Zwift to run PSAs? What is there to gain getting to the front, from the back, through the middle on a 70km/h descent? *slides reading glasses back up nose and mutters into cocoa.

Plan B: Hang off the back of the sh*tshow, with time to react.

I wasn't the only sensible one, and we tutted to each other as 1C/D caught what turned out to be 1A/B around Millers. By now, the 'group' was monstrous. That we managed to get past the Guardian Angel cop car protecting the fallen Vets riders without adding to the melee was a miracle. Man, I never want to see that again. Onwards, down to Scarbs (who was the stunned rider sitting on the wrong side of the hay bales), through Misty Cliffs - how big were those waves? - and then the battle to regain some groups after ABCD split to shreds on Ocean View. The price of safety is missing these splits, but finishing in one piece feels kinda worth it. Been there, done that. Etc.

Chappies was a blast. Suikerbossie was a blast - the kidlets were at the bottom with a big banner for dad, who didn't slow down but managed a wave. The descent to Camps Bay was fast and furious, the first full-gas efforts of the day hanging on to some uber-keen (and Uber-speed) H and J riders. Knick's Folly out of Camps Bay was a swine, as ever, but not nearly as bad as when we used to finish at the top of it. Clifton blurred, and with the main H bunch looming behind, a final 'attack' to hit the St Johns Helter Skelter first brought the 430am oats up one last time. And then, the finish, where I broke the self-imposed electronica blackout to see a glorious 2h58:58 - first sub3 since 2007, and definitely one for the wisdom of age rather than the power of youth. Big Yay.

NOTE: zero commentary on individual good riders/bad riders/idiots (although I may have been the nominal gravel bike idiot in our group, spinning the 42-11 out everywhere). Because, to be honest, if you are tilting at the sub3 from the front groups, we all ride like idiots. Fight club, on wheels. Three hours of totally out-of-character aggression, swearing, bumping, pushing, not a smile in sight.

PART II

The above note is why, against government orders, I ride the second lap. Sharing the CTCT with thousands of people who should be hating the day, hating their bikes, hating their bums, hating the weather, hating their life choices. But they don't.

The start up Nelson Mandela Boulevard was a tad lonely - KOM-Nicker Ross and I riding silently into the growing headwind, wondering if this was a good idea. By Wynberg Hill, we got into the back of the bunches (this is a loose term), so at least there was some company. Already, the day seemed to be proving long, but happiness prevailed.

E-BIKE NOTE: I must have seen half the e-bike field on the second lap, and I saw no arseholedness at all, either from the e-bikers, or the regular pedal pushers. Happy harmony. Maybe these were the guys and girls who hadn't chipped their steeds (2h48 by an 80-year-old smacks of some dishonesty, doesn't it), and were equally shoulder-chip-less. Healthy banter, nothing more. The e-bikes were the least of the worries, if we want to finger a group for disorderly riding... the lack of experience and bike handling skills is unsurprisingly low, but this is what makes this bike race great. We can all give it a crack.

The Second Lap Savages slid past the Jubilee Square feed station - the only one I found solid munchies of any form on the route, in the form of naked cream crackers. Instant parrot-cage mouth. Regrets, I've had a few... so I hoofed it after them to say hallo, and then returned to the solo mission. You guys are too nauseatingly happy, sometimes a bit of misery is called for. And was it on the way... a few drops on Smits, grey verging on dark in scars... where had summer gone? Where had the morning's summer gone?

Chappies II was reminiscent of 1987. Raindrops the size of watermelons, and a ten-degree drop in temperature were not on the forecast, but Captain Conservative had his rain jacket, so he was warm. Finally found some food, in the form of a giant choc-chip cookie and the best espresso in Hout Bay at Dario's. Finished the cookie just before the top of Suikerbossie - Gaimon is onto something - and rolled into the finish with yet more happy faces in spite of winds that were now rivalling last year's. Gratefully grab a second medal (against the rules, I know), because bringing home one medal for two toddlers makes the second lap even more worth it. Some would say necessary.

Happy, happy, happy. That is what this event is about, not us wanna-be pros. The second lap is the BEST thing any one frightening 3 hours can do - it takes you back to why you started this cycling lark in the first place. Thank you, CTCT, for letting us do it (and for Sparkie for letting us mess up his timing system).

17km home to Plumstead into that headwind; about those life choices. 33rd Tour done (the second lap doesn't count as 34. Dammit. 256km for the day, 4600 calories burned, happy chappie.

Best. Day. Ever. Every. Year.

Out of curiosity how long did the second lap take Tim

Cool report

Reading some of these Race Reports has inspired me to concoct something of my own although I don't think I'll be able to compete with any these budding Hemingway's on the Hub...

This was my second CTCT start in the & Group and after losing the front of the group at the top of the Smits last year I was determined to hold on a little longer. After an emergency Physio session on Friday morning to release a tight lower back and friends staying with us (queue multiple nights of drinking) the build up wasn't exactly what you would call 'ideal'...

Start was quick paced with a couple of other Savages remarking how much better it was doing this the first stretch without a block headwind... Although this seemed to encourage a couple to push the pace up paced as we crested the top of Edinburgh Drive more than 2 minutes quicker than 2019. The section along Ladies Mile was quick, with Several Savages driving a pace off the front. Feeling good I decided to have a couple of turns myself but would only later realize I was way out of my depth...

There was a brief breakaway after Muizenberg  but the pack soon hauled them in. My logic was to stay near the front to avoid any troubles on the narrow roads through Kalk Back Bay, Fish Hoek and Simons Town. I was still feeling good and contributed a couple more turns before Smits and then decided to slink quietly back into the pack where I actually belong... The Climb up Smits was brisk but not a deal breaker, arriving at the top the majority of the group was in tact with the fast descent to follow...

As we descended the crash occurred about 20m ahead of me and Nutty (hope you healing up okay Bud) went down along with others... I veered off the road to the right and did a cheeky 20m in the long grass... Somehow managing to stay upright and taking some of the undergrowth with me I emerged back on the road and sprinted to catch the back of the group. And adrenaline rush of note. I would not recommend gravel grinding on 25mm tires at 50km/h. 

The remaining sections were fairly uneventful, I held on until we caught some @ riders in Noordhoek before the big kick happened on Chappies... I exploded quietly (tried to consolidate losses however the damage was done, my heroics off the front earlier had come back to bite me and Suikerbossie and the rest were a real slog... I snuck in with a PB of 2H50 which was well within my 3H00 goal.

Initially my inner critic kicked in about being dropped but a friend, who entered at the last minute with ZERO training and had never ridden on a road bike before (we found him one a day before) put it in perspective when he pointed out that doing this ride is a real privilege, and that we should be grateful to be able to take part in something like this.

That put things into perspective for me. Thank you for the great day out everyone and for those who were not as fortunate to avoid the crashes, heal up soon  :thumbup:

Excellent report. I hear you've been commissioned to write a piece for your DC squad later this year.

woah, said you should mail me for the blog boet!

Oh no!! Savage did not have a good day re crashes c9ee03298889eda514cf801f79e8ea70.jpg

Road racing is no place for softies. Kudos for finishing

Edit: The bloed streep on the race number looks super mean.

Edited by Vetseun

Excellent report. I hear you've been commissioned to write a piece for your DC squad later this year.

Sho, all the Savages on the hub today!

Sho, all the Savages on the hub today!

There was a lady savage riding with another lady in non savage kit, I caught them around Smit’s, then again through to misty cliffs. Still commented to her that I can now say I held onto the wheel of a Savage.

There was a lady savage riding with another lady in non savage kit, I caught them around Smit’s, then again through to misty cliffs. Still commented to her that I can now say I held onto the wheel of a Savage.

Which group were they in?