Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

People dont like cyclists anymore because of those arrogant okes that block the roads and cycle 3 abreast ........and jump red lights

Or they were all scared of the coronavirus lol

Okes have been doing this for ages. The CTCT used to be a cape town tradition. I've also noticed the falling supporter levels over the last 12 years I've been in CT

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the nineties going up Suikerbossie was like doing a mountain stage in the Tour de France, hemmed in by spectators partying cow bells jangling. As the entrants seemed to drop from 33000+ down to 22000+ so the spectators has seemed to dwindle away

I only heard of one death. A suspected heart attack after he finished. 

Another gent had a hart attack mid race.

He stopped at the paramedics, indicating his hart rate is much higher than normal, and not dropping ....  Blood tests in hospital confirmed he had the enzymes asociated with a hart attack. 

This is a strong rider that does long rides  multiple times a week ... mostly solo rides.  Very fortunate it happened on a ride with paramedics.

The guys playing "eye of the tiger" and pretending to be boxing all day had a charging station. While I was having my drink two folk stopped for a charge up of the batteries.

Your idea is not a bad one though.

most batteries are about 1 hour for 80% charge .... may just mess up some strava hunters ....

not sure I want to charge a battery that has worked that hard ....  I prefer to give it a bit of time to reach room temperature before charging  ,,, ja-ja, I am old school ...  :ph34r:  :whistling:

48/16!!

must have a look at the ratrio I did it on, think it was 46/18 and was a little too short, memory is spinning like an eggbeater past cp entrance downhill with okes freewheeling past me

360' cameras

48/16 for me is the perfect climbing gear, able to pace and pass on all climbs but yip, run out of revs on down hills, I normally unclip for the Scarborough drop but not this time...so much pain there but rest was all manageable..

I’m finding as the years go on, fewer and fewer spectators are out there.

I recall in the first few I did, late 90s early 2000s, if you looked like you were stopping in suikerbossie there was someone there to edge you along or push you

Simon’s Town “bus stop” was one big party zone, fish Hoek was full of spectators.

sadly our lovely traffic cops are partly to blame for this .....

Back in the day we used to drive out to Campsbay, park a few blocks up, walk down and cheer on the riders ...

Walking back to our car it was sad to see the number of cars that got ticketed .....  I am not talking about blocking a driveway or parking on a red line, simply a bumper hanging over the start of a yellow line and the spectators got fined ....  Finding a safe parking spot, meant we had a good many blocks to walk ....

Dont know what it is like nowadays.

Last time I saw him, the bar-one girls were still there. Maybe bar-one girls and borat costume don't do well

together and he was scarred for life? Hmm, they also seem to have disappeared.......

Also miss the Soap Girls, Hout Bay...anyone remember them? Edited by capediver

I’m finding as the years go on, fewer and fewer spectators are out there.

I recall in the first few I did, late 90s early 2000s, if you looked like you were stopping in suikerbossie there was someone there to edge you along or push you

Simon’s Town “bus stop” was one big party zone, fish Hoek was full of spectators.

I recall days when the crowd on Suikerbossie was so thick it felt like Alpe d'Huez during Le tour.

Sun Valley Noordhoek was lined with spectators from Capri all the way to Chappies

Cure...50k's @ medium pace and 4-5% gradient...ASAP...thank me later....

I took your advice and drove out to the Noordhoek Village today, parked up, and hit Chappies.

Borrowed a mate's Stravonometer which, if I punched the right buttons, told me the ascent averages 4-5%.

Perfect.

So I did it 10 times - well 20 really, 10 up and 10 back down to the village.

A total of 95.3 kms distance and 1289 climbing metres.

Clever things these Stravoos.

Took me 6 hours 39 minutes including a couple of banana and coffee breaks.

Thing is, it didn't really cure the problem; my nuts are now as numb as a bum on an icepack...

Eish  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Edited by 3wings

How much more training will be needed to go from a 3:06 to 2:59

Would like to achieve a sub 3 next year, if all goes well, not forgetting I started in 1J this year

Some other threads discussing the sub 3 issue.

Clear that it's not just about training.

Also, you say how much more.?

It isn't necessarily a question of more, but rather improving the quality of training.

And when that's all said and done, there remains the biggest factor, the weather.

Fantastic conditions like Sunday come around every leap year. LOL