2019 Amashova

Wannabe

...and take time to read up and get to know the event you're entering. The Shova is a deceitfully tough race - I remember riding my first back in 2011, naively thinking it's gonna be downhill all the way want mens ry mos af see toe...never climbed so much in my life.  

There were some pretty large people in the bus on their way to the start. I wondered how many of them entered on the basis of "Oh, it's a downhill race…". Looking at my Garmin output, it has about the same amount of ascent as the 947 race. It does have some nice long downhill runs though, far more so than 947, which makes it a particularly enjoyable ride. 

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately there will always be people who will overestimate a route and will be overconfident in their ability. I was one of these people a few years ago and I didn't prove anything other than that I was horribly unprepared

When you are unprepared for a race/ride, you don't enjoy it as much as you should, so then what is the point of doing it? Getting heat stroke, vomiting, cramping so bad you can't stand up, losing feeling in sensitive areas and having terrible saddle sores isn't enjoyable

If you know you won't be ready for a certain race, don't enter it or do the shorter route if available

My son calls this the Navy Seal technique for races, got a few mates like this. The rest of us train for races. The Navy Seals always have a war story about a race, probably should stick to park runs.

Did you really read my comment as being that every cyclist should see a cardiologist routinely before entering an endurance event? Because I certainly don't believe I wrote that – and certainly did not intend to.

But it is a good idea for everybody who routinely enters endurance events to at least on one occasion – and probably at intervals of some years, depending upon identified factors – have a proper cardio examination. It costs somewhere in the order of R5000 to R6000, which in the greater scheme of the costs of cycling and participating in endurance events is not a particularly big number. 

I can never get my head around the fact that somebody will spend R80 K or more on a bicycle but will not spend R5K or thereabouts to have a proper cardio examination to understand whether their heart can in fact sustain what they intend to embark upon and which cardio examination could for them mean the difference between life and death. And you only need to do it as I say, at intervals of some years. I'm not an expert on the subject but I would guess maybe once every 10 years, unless particular risk factors are identified.

Truth is, you may be a great athlete and you may feel well but you just cannot know whether you are at risk in the  absence of a proper cardio examination. Look at James Small for example.

Spend the money – on an amortised basis it will cost you a fraction of your annual insurance premiums and it may well save your life.

But people are weird. A mate of mine just inherited a very nice dual suspension carbon bike from another mate of his who died from cardiac arrest… And you think that the guy who inherited the bike can be persuaded to undergo a proper cardiac examination? Not on your Nellie…

I will rephrase and answer my own question. Are you implying that people with no known risk factors or red flags in their history see a cardiologist? 

I can assure you that the "yield" or preventative positives from this exercise will be EXTREMELY low. I am not even bringing up cost effectiveness. You will find many tales of people that have been cleared and died soon after. 

The preventative tone of your posts are good in that one should be prepared as best as you can but to think that any medical person will be able to guarantee your safe passage is sadly not true. The crux of my argument is that this race was not badly organized and nobody should fall into the trap of faultfinding elsewhere. The Two Oceans and the CTCT has deaths nearly every year. Are they also badly organized?

End of my story.

I will rephrase and answer my own question. Are you implying that people with no known risk factors or red flags in their history see a cardiologist? 

I can assure you that the "yield" or preventative positives from this exercise will be EXTREMELY low. I am not even bringing up cost effectiveness. You will find many tales of people that have been cleared and died soon after. 

The preventative tone of your posts are good in that one should be prepared as best as you can but to think that any medical person will be able to guarantee your safe passage is sadly not true. The crux of my argument is that this race was not badly organized and nobody should fall into the trap of faultfinding elsewhere. The Two Oceans and the CTCT has deaths nearly every year. Are they also badly organized?

End of my story.

I didn't find the race "badly organised" although I did think that them running out of water at the various water points was simply not on. I hear what everybody else says about not needing water, et cetera but the reality is that a lot of riders plan around the availability of water at the various points and the absence of such, particularly on a hot day, can create significant distress for some riders. Not everyone is a "pro" or a "racing snake". Quite the contrary, the majority of the field are simply plain recreational riders out to have an enjoyable day (if somewhat hot and sweaty one).

As to the question of cardiological examinations, we will have to differ. I think they are absolutely critical; less so for the younger riders but certainly for those of us in the 40+, 50+ and so forth age groups, they become critical, particularly if you are male. You may be right that a comparative minority will be shown to have serious issues and at the statistical level you could be right (I don't know – I am not endorsing your statement but simply telling you that I don't know what the statistics are) but you know, when it turns out that you are one of the statistics, it doesn't matter what the overall percentage or ratio is; it's your own life that counts.I will also say this: The absence of red flags all known cardiological risk factors as proof of nothing, other than the absence of red flags and risk factors. There is no way of being certain from those alone that you are "good to go". By the time the risk factor becomes apparent when you're out there on a hot day on a long ride, it may be simply "too late". As any number of riders have found out, to the cost of themselves and their families, over the years.

Our water points are exactly that... water points, and not feed stations.

Energize, Coke and Water.

I think the MTB event will have some food - will find out tomorrow when I speak to the guys helping at the water points.

And beer....don't forget the beer

From the FAQ page https://www.shova.co.za/faq/

• Thornville Chicken Farm H20 point sponsored by South African Legion. The point is approximately 24.5kms from the start.
  • Cato Ridge H20 point sponsored by Avis. The station is approximately 41.8 kilometers from the start.
  • Drummond H20 point sponsored by Tsogo Sun is situated at the Comrades Wall of Fame. This is 55.3kms from the start.
  • Gillett’s H20 point  sponsored by Volvo is positioned 74.5kms from the start. It is situated outside the Gillett’s Station.
  • 45th Cutting H20 point sponsored by Tsogo Sun. This is 91.2km from the start. It is situated outside the Engen Garage. Please be aware of the steep decent and dangerous sharp left turn once you have passed under the N3 Highway.

5 water points for a 100km is plenty

From what have read here, seems most of the complaints are from those who were ill prepared for the race, being not fit enough to do a 100km race (even if it takes you 6hrs), ill prepared with nutrition and their own water and did not take cognisance of the weather on the day.

Usually, this number of water points would be fine, and I would imagine for a slower ride 10 bottles of drink would be sufficient over 100km.

I cycled down from Jhb with Amashova being the second shortest of the five days of riding. I definitely wasn't ill prepared, and Amashova was completed at a leisurely pace - over 4 hours. I don't usually stop at every water point at any race but I did on Sunday - because of the heat, I stopped to fill one bottle with ice and water that I used to throw over myself just to keep cool.

Weather conditions were brutal, and the last 40km of Shova is not flat by any means - I do think that the organisers need to cater for the slower riders and have another water point between 4 and 5, or increase the distance between 2 and 3 and then compress the distance between 3 and 5.

I was by no means under prepared for the race, but not being used to the heat and humidity, I suffered big time from the 80km mark onward, with cramps being the main issue, so much that I lost 10 min time over the last 20 odd kilometers (Garmin time compared to Racetec time).

I stopped at the last two water points to fill up my bottles, where I normally complete 100+ km rides on two bottles only. If it was not for these water points, I doubt I would have been able to finish.

So to say that people must prepare themselves better and that two bottles is more than enough, is being disingenuous. The circumstances on the day does influence your fluid intake, and if there is no water tables (not feeding stations) some people can suffer severe consequences.

Soooooo... are we saying the organisers should have pulled the plug on the event sooner, given that the support system in place for racers was inadequate for the conditions?

I am sure that would have generated much less outrage.

Edited by Swift&Aero

Green Ciovita top and white green black Cannondale [emoji1305][emoji1305][emoji1305]

so we did ride together, i had the black and silver giant propel with bluish grey team roshnee top, good ride buddy, not many guys came forward, we did most of the work as you said, that tall cyclelab guy with us was beast, this was the most fun i ever had in a race, we could have gone faster on that highway section if more guys came forward, my first time in AL and i must say those guys dont play on the hills :wacko:

I didn't ride the Amashova this year, but  had the displeasure of racing in extreme heats/winds. The exact same discussion:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/155233-protea-cycle-classic-meyerton-complaint/?hl=protea

The solution is simple, there should be a CSA guideline to base the amount of water that needs to be available at sanctioned events, which would be the organizer's responsibility.

The parameters that are needed: 

• Temp Max = Expected peak temperature based on a 3-day forecast.
  • Time (h)= Average completion time of previous year, or similar event.
  • N = Expected entries (capacity)

Basis:

• 400 ml per hour per person. (
  • Temp Avg = Average temperature: 25 degrees Celcius

Water needed per person: 400 ml x Time x (Temp Max/Temp Avg)

For Amashova:

Water needed: 400 x 4.5 hours x (36/25) = 2,6 litres per person.

so we did ride together, i had the black and silver giant propel with bluish grey team roshnee top, good ride buddy, not many guys came forward, we did most of the work as you said, that tall cyclelab guy with us was beast, this was the most fun i ever had in a race, we could have gone faster on that highway section if more guys came forward, my first time in AL and i must say those guys dont play on the hills :wacko:

I remember who you are, likewise good ride, I think that Cyclelab guy was Stiaan but he burn too many matches on over accelerating up the climbs but yes he was very strong. We could of been a lot faster but very little help and when somebody did go to the front they stopped peddling. When you go to the front you have to drive, anyways it makes you stronger hahaha

Though most of us do just that to a greater or lesser degree, the literature on the subject doesn't appear to support this approach. I certainly try to drink certain defined volumes within certain times but it's also far from accurate. But generally I find it works better for me than just going by sense of thirst. That said, some people have a more degraded thirst mechanism (sensibility) than others though. I may be one of them. Not sure.

I think you would find that the literature do support the notion of drinking to thirst...

The old approach of drinking set volumes per time interval has been problematic, at best.

Whether you stop or not is irrelevant to the point I was making, which relates rather to the amount of required fluid intake. Electrolyte balance is important too (obviously) and having a fair sense of your body's requirements in that regard is equally important.

Your method for avoiding dehydration (train harder, ride faster) may work for you in the events you enter but I doubt it'll carry anyone through truly arduous cycle challenges (think something like the India Pacific Wheel Race). 'Sides which, not everyone is a racing snake.

How the hell does an ultra distance race compare with our Amashova or 94.7?

The local race-snakes need to prepare better.

Finish & klaar.

Don't be a ****, be nice

This was my first Amashova, and my first sub 3 hour race (started BL but was seeded AL). I have been cycling for just over 2 years and have done a handful of races.

Over that time I’ve learned about nutrition while training and racing from fellow cyclists and some online research. I still consider myself a noob to this sport but I’ve found out how important nutrition is.

I had more than enough liquid to finish the race with my two bottles, some guys in the bunch I was in only had 1 bottle and ran out, but they got more water from the stops closer to the end without stopping, drank some and offered others in the bunch some as well.

Another guy in our bunch’s bottle fell out when he hit a pothole, so someone just gave him some of their drink and he got some water and the next water point.

One guy asked me for some of my drink, less than 5kms from the end and I let him have some. Think he passed me in the last stretch (thanks dude).

So yes, some people ran out but were able to get more.

To be honest I really enjoyed the race, felt it was better organized than a few other races I’ve taken part in, the route was very enjoyable as well. I mean at suncoast they even had a free secure bike park to leave our bikes while we ate, watched the Springboks, prize giving, etc.

Great experience and I’ll be back (still have flashbacks of that cyclist laying motionless in the road though, that was unsettling and I hope they’re okay)

IMO some cyclists need learn to rather come over-prepared when it comes to nutrition instead of running the risk of not having enough. And maybe figure out what they should be eating and drinking before any race.

I don’t think this should be reason to criticize the race organizers at all. And like some have mentioned on here; if you’re out and no water point close by, or no water at the water point, stop at a garage and top up - or maybe ask other cyclists around you for some of theirs.

I didn't ride the Amashova this year, but  had the displeasure of racing in extreme heats/winds. The exact same discussion:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/155233-protea-cycle-classic-meyerton-complaint/?hl=protea

The solution is simple, there should be a CSA guideline to base the amount of water that needs to be available at sanctioned events, which would be the organizer's responsibility.

The parameters that are needed: 

• Temp Max = Expected peak temperature based on a 3-day forecast.
  • Time (h)= Average completion time of previous year, or similar event.
  • N = Expected entries (capacity)

Basis:

• 400 ml per hour per person. (
  • Temp Avg = Average temperature: 25 degrees Celcius

Water needed per person: 400 ml x Time x (Temp Max/Temp Avg)

For Amashova:

Water needed: 400 x 4.5 hours x (36/25) = 2,6 litres per person.

There is a set minimum requirement for water tables etc.. as per SASRIA/CSA

There is also a reasonable expectation for people to take at least some responsibility for themselves.

Entering an event, any event doesn't negate responsibility on either side.

This was my first Amashova, and my first sub 3 hour race (started BL but was seeded AL). I have been cycling for just over 2 years and have done a handful of races.

Over that time I’ve learned about nutrition while training and racing from fellow cyclists and some online research. I still consider myself a noob to this sport but I’ve found out how important nutrition is.

I had more than enough liquid to finish the race with my two bottles, some guys in the bunch I was in only had 1 bottle and ran out, but they got more water from the stops closer to the end without stopping, drank some and offered others in the bunch some as well.

Another guy in our bunch’s bottle fell out when he hit a pothole, so someone just gave him some of their drink and he got some water and the next water point.

One guy asked me for some of my drink, less than 5kms from the end and I let him have some. Think he passed me in the last stretch (thanks dude).

So yes, some people ran out but were able to get more.

To be honest I really enjoyed the race, felt it was better organized than a few other races I’ve taken part in, the route was very enjoyable as well. I mean at suncoast they even had a free secure bike park to leave our bikes while we ate, watched the Springboks, prize giving, etc.

Great experience and I’ll be back (still have flashbacks of that cyclist laying motionless in the road though, that was unsettling and I hope they’re okay)

IMO some cyclists need learn to rather come over-prepared when it comes to nutrition instead of running the risk of not having enough. And maybe figure out what they should be eating and drinking before any race.

I don’t think this should be reason to criticize the race organizers at all. And like some have mentioned on here; if you’re out and no water point close by, or no water at the water point, stop at a garage and top up - or maybe ask other cyclists around you for some of theirs.

This is so refreshing to see someone else with my point of view.

Thank you dude, you restored my faith in humanity. No kidding.

I was beginning to doubt our cycling community, but you alone have done miracles.

Thank you