Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chain tension/length on 12spd is critical if you want it to shift properly. 

SRAM drivetrains require less tension in the shifting cable than Shimano to work properly. 

1. Always use a bit of grease or copper slip when inserting a seat post or dropper. If not you'll be chasing creaks and squeaks forever!

2. Always use the proper tools for the job

3. Never ever work on the bike when you are annoyed, tired or in a rush

4. If something can go wrong, it will go wrong

5. Always keep some common spare parts available. You or a friend will be grateful you did

I prefer the nitrile gloves to the latex ones.

Latex gloves rip very easily. Nitrile don't.

Nitrile gloves offers better protection when working with various chemicals than latex - which is more aimed at biological applications.

When doing an upgrade to Eagle for a friend do COUNT the 11-50 cassette you just took out the bag that has the eagle Der and Shiffter and make sure the bike shop gave you 12 speed and not 11......after and hour of struggle and rechecking the hanger alignment etc....AHHH that is why it keep skipping gears.........

I like working on my bike the day before a race that way I know it's right. You see so many people running around race morning trying to get their bike to work, or was that just some of you who worked on your bike the day before

Everyone makes mistakes mine probably tyre direction, looking for the arrow and still fitting it the wrong way, that's why I never put sealant in before seating my tyres.

Just use your head when working on your bike and look what you are doing. If you still get it wrong then maybe you should not be holding tools.

why is the arrow often just rubber imprint and not in text  - makes it so hard to see

same thing with inflation settings.

wth mtb disk brakes, they are always on the left/non drive side. why can't tyres just have a piksha of a disc and then you line it up there?!

I prefer the nitrile gloves to the latex ones.

Latex gloves rip very easily. Nitrile don't.

Where in Cape Town can one get Nitrile gloves? I'm going scatty looking

Buy a box of surgical gloves, saves you getting little cuts and you never have dirty hands.

True to some extent, however I always seem to break one finger.... 

My wife seems to find it funny when I come back inside with powder all over my hands and one dirty finger, and the joke goes... Where have you been putting that finger??? So not funny anymore!  :cursing:

Get a decent bike stand! I bought a Parktool years ago and one of my best buys!

I still haven't gotten around to buying a stand, however my hack is car in garage bike rack on car, hang bike on rack... :-) 

I still haven't learnt how to post pics otherwise I would have posted a pic...  :ph34r:

True to some extent, however I always seem to break one finger.... 

My wife seems to find it funny when I come back inside with powder all over my hands and one dirty finger, and the joke goes... Where have you been putting that finger??? So not funny anymore!  :cursing:

Do you steal said gloves from work?.......