Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

This thread has made me want to go hunting, who’s with me?

The less meat you vegan clowns eat the more there is for the rest of us.

On topic comment: When splicing brake hoses, make sure you remember to actually tighten things up so the olive grips properly, otherwise tree incidents happen; much pain involved there.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has made me want to go hunting, who’s with me?

The less meat you vegan clowns eat the more there is for the rest of us.

On topic comment: When splicing brake hoses, make sure you remember to actually tighten things up so the olive grips properly, otherwise tree incidents happen; much pain involved there.

Reminds me of the time I replaced the front brake pads right before a ride with the intention to bed them on the ride, first down hill section at Eden rode almost right into a tree because I forgot...

If your bike has internal cable routing and sleeves that the cables run through, don't be smart and pull them out. Can't recall why I did. Especially not the night before a race. Had to remove fork and BB to get the bloody thing back in. And... it was my wife's bike. Eventually got to bed like 2am.

back to topic:

"5. The best way to get sealant in a tyre is with a little 60ml Stans bottle through the valve." Very true but do not try and be clever and slip the bottle tapered spout in while there is still some air in the tyre so you can avoid losing the bead.  When you remove said spout you get a nice little spray of sealant from aforementioned residual air.

If your bike has internal cable routing and sleeves that the cables run through, don't be smart and pull them out. Can't recall why I did. Especially not the night before a race. Had to remove fork and BB to get the bloody thing back in. And... it was my wife's bike. Eventually got to bed like 2am.

attach new casing to old casing at handlebar end. Pull old casing out and new one gets pulled through with it. Easy peasy lemon squeezy

If you don't have a cable cutter, you can cut cables with a Dremel/grinder, without the end fraying, by wrapping some masking tape or insulating tape around where you want to cut.

If you don't have a cable cutter, you can cut cables with a Dremel/grinder, without the end fraying, by wrapping some masking tape or insulating tape around where you want to cut.

The tape trick works pretty well with normal sidecutters too.

No that was another kid called Kyle Tolmay a$$hole.

You'll get your @$$ handed to you, veggie.

Mind your mouth.

You can't come and impose your opinion on a community and then act child-like when things don't go your way and have a tantrum

When servicing a Bontrager line dropper: 

The bottom assembly that locks unto the cartridge shaft, has 2 holes in it. Make sure they dont end up filling with grease, as this will cause a vacuum when the post extends causing it not to extend to full position... 

Caused me buying a new catridge only to find it did not help. Then saw the two holes... Loads of swearing later, cleaned the assembly and all was good again... 

#facepalm