Emirates broke my bike!!! And then they p***ed me off!

Spirog

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They sponsor a top CYCLING team - attracting customers that CYCLE.

Would expect some extra care when said customer makes use of their service with their bike.

Edited by Gandalf

I know this doesn't help your cause, but for those that like to claim, i can recommend Resolver, I recently claimed for a flight that was cancelled on Lufthansa. After putting me up in a hotel dinner bed and breakfast and flying 24 hrs later i still claimed and was paid out 600 euro 2 weeks later

Resolver is also 100% free others charge 25 - 30% commission. 

https://www.resolver.co.uk/

I really wouldn't fly with my bike in an Evoc bike bag. It is really for sticking in the back of a bakkie. I recently bought a Sherpr bike bag whilst in London. I brought my MTB back with BA no issues.

I packed my road bike and I'm currently in Lake Como with it. I flew with Emirates and all good so far.

My bikes used to come back and forwards with me to SA when I was living in the UK.

Always with Virgin, always free and never had a problem. I did have to sign a form though, saying basically "you can do what you like with my bike".

On our trip to NYC last year (no bikes involved) they lost our luggage. We were told to buy replacement stuff and then claim back. To cut a long story short, we ended up claiming through a claims company because the airline (American) just stonewalled us.

It's just a modern day thing. Like it or lump it.

Airlines have almost been a law onto themselves for a long time. They % of times they have owned up and compensated people for plane crashes is very low - damaged goods in transit is probably something they just shrug off.

My psychologist friend says that airlines don't give a **** about anything short of 2 things:

1. Falling out of the sky

2. Going bankrupt

No mention of broken bikes

:ph34r:

Airlines are not bothered about one or two passengers. You a drop in the ocean compared to all the other passengers.. Hence social media, tagging the bigger companies they do business. Especially if there are sports teams.

I flew Emirates, durban Dubai Brisbane with my BMC in a semi rigid box. Had no insurance and no issues.

Couldn't find insurance to 80k on a one way ticket...!

Flown many airlines, sadly the luck best of the draw.

They sponsor a top CYCLING team - attracting customers that CYCLE.

Would expect some extra care when said customer makes use of their service with their bike.

So the company sponsors a cycling team and that means the thrower from Pakistan is gonna take extra care with one of 4000 bags that he has to move for the day in 50 degree heat? Yeah.....

For the people planning a trip with bike. Consider renting a bike. It's way less hassle. You book. You arrive with your saddle, pedals and GPS and off you go. No broken bikes to deal with. No will my bike arrive stresses. Just a thought. I've done this for a road bike but would never do it for an mtb.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I really wouldn't fly with my bike in an Evoc bike bag. It is really for sticking in the back of a bakkie. I recently bought a Sherpr bike bag whilst in London. I brought my MTB back with BA no issues.

I packed my road bike and I'm currently in Lake Como with it. I flew with Emirates and all good so far.

This, pack your bike properly, if you don't you increase the risk of  s h i t happening.

I've flown with a bike 3 times, and every time with a proper bike transport box. They are worth the cost and hassle. Never had a problem with bent or broken bits.

1. Joburg - George - Joburg

2. Joburg - Montreal (via London) - Joburg

3. Zurich - Joburg - Zurich

For trip 1 + 2 I used a big "iron horse bike box" its a huge suitcase that you put your bike in, plus all your gear, tools and even other luggage... People laughed at me when they saw the size of the thing..... For trip 3 i bought a smaller bike case which is just big enough for one my bikes if i take the wheels off and pull the stem off the steerer tube.

Peace of mind.... ok they could still loose it

During trip 1 I remember sitting on the plane at George looking out the window as the luggage handlers unloaded all the bikes onto the luggage trolleys, LOL it was kind of funny watching them chuck the soft skinned bike bags onto them and then finally out came my big iron horse suitcase which landed on top of the pile of less well packed bikes.... classic 

Needless to say i spent time riding the course while others were running around trying to fix broken spokes and bent jockeys.

Also. its not necessarily the airlines fault per say, they don't handle the luggage and don't have a choice in how the luggage is handled after it gets checked in. Its those evil swines with the yellow vests you see on the right hand side of the plane loading and unloading the luggage. 

My friend just went to Mallorca and hired bikes through Pinarello experience. They drop off at your hotel and pick up, no hassles

The days of hiring a crappy aluminium bike with bottom level components are long gone.

Edited by Andreas_187

My friend just went to Mallorca and hired bikes through Pinarello experience. They drop off at your hotel and pick up, no hassles

The days of hiring a crappy aluminium bike with bottom level components are long gone.

Agreed. we rented Spez Tarmacs for €125 each for 6 days on Mallorca. Oh and.... GO RIDE IN Mallorca!!! Edited by Duane_Bosch

I'm not sure I understand what's wrong?

Bear in mind Emirates is a massive organisation that (regrettably) deals with hundreds of claims such as yours on a daily basis. You may think your claim is large. The guy who flew his yacht to the Bahamas for a weekend regatta might think his claim is large; thus deserving special treatment.

30 days (maximum, no less) is perfectly reasonable considering likely a dozen people will have to look into the details, which includes 3rd-party handling companies before they can even consider a response, much less any form of settlement. 

You have put in a claim with your insurance. Why then claim from Emirates as well?