Emirates broke my bike!!! And then they p***ed me off!

Spirog

I know this doesn't help your cause, but for those that like to claim, i can recommend Resolver, I recently claimed for a flight that was cancelled on Lufthansa. After putting me up in a hotel dinner bed and breakfast and flying 24 hrs later i still claimed and was paid out 600 euro 2 weeks later

Resolver is also 100% free others charge 25 - 30% commission.

https://www.resolver.co.uk/

Remarkable service ????????

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, after 34 days and numerous frustrating interactions with Emirates chatbots, they just blew me off. Amongst other crap, this is the bit that matters in the mail received today:

Article 15.5.2 states that we will not be liable for Damage to Baggage resulting from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the Baggage (for example, destruction of, or damage caused by or to, fragile, perishable and other items which you are prohibited from including in your Baggage by Articles 8.3 and 8.4). Under the circumstances, regrettably, we are unable to consider your claim for the damaged bike on this occasion.

So, if you fly with your bike, ensure that you have adequate insurance. The airlines, Emirates in particular, will not accept any liability for any loss or damage.

You have been warned!!!

I was insured with Hollard via a broker. They paid out in full.

Ok sweet.

But then why are you trying to claim from the airline? Surely that's Hollard's fight to fight? If the airline did pay out it would not be your money as Hollard has paid you out.

Or am I missing something here?

Edited by Duane_Bosch

So the company sponsors a cycling team and that means the thrower from Pakistan is gonna take extra care with one of 4000 bags that he has to move for the day in 50 degree heat? Yeah.....

Agree the handlers will not take extra care but you would think that being a major sponsor Emirates would treat the OP a bit better after sh!t happened

Ok sweet.

But then why are you trying to claim from the airline? Surely that's Hollard's fight to fight? If the airline did pay out it would not be your money as Hollard has paid you out.

Or am I missing something here?

I'm not looking for Emirates to pay me out. That's why I have insurance...

I'm looking for them to acknowledge that they do have a duty of care when they take my bike and load it in their plane. They do have a responsibility to ensure that they have taken every possible precaution to ensure that it gets to its destination in one piece. And they certainly are required to treat me with respect for having chosen their airline over the multitude that are vying for every ticket purchased. That's all I want. And, boy have they failed miserably...

Do they care that we'll never fly Emirates again? Apparently not.

Will it affect their business? Certainly not.

But, I'll continue to tell every cyclist that I know not to fly with Emirates - whether with a bike or not. 

I'm looking for them to acknowledge that they do have a duty of care when they take my bike and load it in their plane. They do have a responsibility to ensure that they have taken every possible precaution to ensure that it gets to its destination in one piece. And they certainly are required to treat me with respect for having chosen their airline over the multitude that are vying for every ticket purchased. That's all I want. And, boy have they failed miserably...

But, I'll continue to tell every cyclist that I know not to fly with Emirates - whether with a bike or not. 

Ok understood.

I've been fortunate around flying with bikes. Only one bike showing up a day late. And that was Qatar IIRC.

But of the sandpit airlines Emirates is at the bottom of my list for sure. 

its interesting to note, place of travels... ie. OP and Pikey had similar experience and both flew to the UK.

I've just come back from Switzerland using a cardboard box, and the only damage to my bike was me not taping my bar properly to the downtube. So no issues whatsoever

Generally it is not the airline that wrecks your bike or loses your luggage but the airport ground staff. Heathrow is notoriously *** at handling luggage reliably. I’ve flown emirates all over the world and never had my luggage gotten lost or stolen, especially when flying via Dubai. But all 7 flights through Heathrow has resulted in lost or badly damaged luggage.

Another culprit is JFK and schipol

Edited by DieselnDust

How do you know Emirates damaged your bike? 

How do you know Emirates damaged your bike? 

They took my bike from me in Paris. It was in prefect condition. They returned it broken in Johannesburg.

Did they, as an airline break it? Probably not. Do they have suppliers/contractors who do work on their behalf. Yes.

I contracted with Emirates to move me and my luggage from Paris to Johannesburg. I didn't contract with a pilot, an engine supplier and a baggage handler. Emirates choose and manage the entire supply chain. Therefore, they are responsible.

To be fair, and no reflection on you as a person, but they only have your word that the bike wasn’t broken when they took it from you.

If they started paying our claims where it is the claimants word against theirs that the item being transported was in X or Y condition, or in the case of a missing piece of luggage, what was in the bag, the potential for fake claims would be through the roof.

I have run a few chains of fitness clubs over the years. Every time (almost without fail), that a locker was broken into and stuff stolen, it apparently contained sizeable amounts of cash, the best and newest possible clothing and had been packed with extreme care and attention.

To be fair, and no reflection on you as a person, but they only have your word that the bike wasn’t broken when they took it from you.

If they started paying our claims where it is the claimants word against theirs that the item being transported was in X or Y condition, or in the case of a missing piece of luggage, what was in the bag, the potential for fake claims would be through the roof.

I have run a few chains of fitness clubs over the years. Every time (almost without fail), that a locker was broken into and stuff stolen, it apparently contained sizeable amounts of cash, the best and newest possible clothing and had been packed with extreme care and attention.

No offence taken...

I have pics and Strava file showing that the bike was ridden the day before I loaded it into the bag. But, that opens a whole new can of worms.

My point remains: I don't want them to pay for my bike. I've been paid by the insurance company. I want them to acknowledge some liability in the damage. Otherwise, there is no pressure on them to ensure that they provide this service responsibly. If they don't want to take bikes, that's their right. Then tell me and let me spend my money elsewhere.

But, don't ****me around for a month and then fob me off. Put a large disclaimer, front and centre, on your booking page that says :If we break your bike, we don't accept any liability. Then, I will know not to expect any responsibility on their part.

And FFS, don't sponsor a cycling team!!!

They took my bike from me in Paris. It was in prefect condition. They returned it broken in Johannesburg.

Did they, as an airline break it? Probably not. Do they have suppliers/contractors who do work on their behalf. Yes.

I contracted with Emirates to move me and my luggage from Paris to Johannesburg. I didn't contract with a pilot, an engine supplier and a baggage handler. Emirates choose and manage the entire supply chain. Therefore, they are responsible.

So then it wasn't actually Emirates as you say above and have claimed in the opening post and others.

An airport contracts baggage handlers - not the airline - the airline pays taxes and the likes to an airport for this service. They simply land there and take off and make sure you get to your destinations safely and hopefully on time. 

Example - Barcelona are terrible 7/10 times with baggage being on your flight on time and especially with smaller airlines due to it being so busy - this isnt the fault then of every single airline that lands there. 

Reading this Emirates provided you with that what you paid for. I would make contact with the baggage handling service and take it up with them. 

If you have been sorted correctly with your personal insurance - which is typically always the case, what are you wanting from Emirates? A public sorry?

No offence taken...

I have pics and Strava file showing that the bike was ridden the day before I loaded it into the bag. But, that opens a whole new can of worms.

And FFS, don't sponsor a cycling team!!!

Could of damaged it on that ride. (Devils advocate) 

FFS, why mustn't they sponsor a team? 

You're quite right: they have suppliers etc.

The point I am trying to make is that if you flew ANY other airline and the same 3rd party handlers would've handled (and therefor, theoretically, damaged) your bike. 

There is a certain international airport in SA  :whistling: where I have had 100% bad luck with airport operations. 

So to say 'Don't fly Emirates' is, well, you get the idea.  :w00t:

(And no, I am in no way associated with Emirates/if I was I'd probably have a much nicer bicycle).