Emirates broke my bike!!! And then they p***ed me off!

Spirog

Ok sweet.

But then why are you trying to claim from the airline? Surely that's Hollard's fight to fight? If the airline did pay out it would not be your money as Hollard has paid you out.

Or am I missing something here?

would be nice if they could at least cover the excess on the insurance claim

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An airport contracts baggage handlers - not the airline - the airline pays taxes and the likes to an airport for this service. They simply land there and take off and make sure you get to your destinations safely and hopefully on time. 

I would make contact with the baggage handling service and take it up with them. 

So, when the plane falls out of the sky because they chose the cheapest maintenance company, they are not liable? I must chat to the maintenance company. Perhaps, I need to find the individual who didn't check the bolt? Or should I talk to the bolt manufacturer? Maybe the torque wrench supplier is to blame?

Emirates have control over every one of their business decisions. I made a decision to fly their airline. In good faith, I assume that the bolt is tight and my luggage will be treated with some degree of care, There were big stickers that said "HANDLE WITH CARE". I packed it in an approved airline transport bag. I acted as the reasonable man is required. Do you believe that their handling of the complaint is reasonable?

It's bs to claim that they are in no way responsible for their business decisions.

I think one of the issues (Not pointing fingers at the OP this is just human nature) is that we've been educated to think that air travel is a luxury so therefore we are to be treated as if we are special.

Unfortunately nothing could be further from the truth. 56 million people were transported by Emirates last year.

So, when the plane falls out of the sky because they chose the cheapest maintenance company, they are not liable? I must chat to the maintenance company. Perhaps, I need to find the individual who didn't check the bolt? Or should I talk to the bolt manufacturer? Maybe the torque wrench supplier is to blame?

Emirates have control over every one of their business decisions. I made a decision to fly their airline. In good faith, I assume that the bolt is tight and my luggage will be treated with some degree of care, There were big stickers that said "HANDLE WITH CARE". I packed it in an approved airline transport bag. I acted as the reasonable man is required. Do you believe that their handling of the complaint is reasonable?

It's bs to claim that they are in no way responsible for their business decisions.

I agree with you 110%. The airlines are far to inclined to blame the baggage handlers claiming its no their fault. Well, as far as I am concerned one is responsible for ones suppliers, simple really.

But its a handy excuse especially with all the theft prevalent at ORT.

The Airport contracts the baggage handlers. Not the airlines. This is why you see ACSA staff loading and unloading every plane that lands in SA.

If the airline employs the mechanics and a bolt falls out, then yes, they are responsible. But, if you feel the need to speak to the okes who make the bolts and the torque wrenches, go for it, I think it'd a waste of time personally. 

So, now that you have identified it wasn't actually Emirates staff who handled your bike and getting back to the 1 question - your insurance paid you out, like mine has done twice before on a overseas trip, as per normal in this situation - what do you want from Emirates?

I feel for the OP, but also think people are super quick to point fingers without really reading the fine print.

You're looking for someone to blame and the airline is the 1st port of call. I actually fully get that. BUT in these circumstances you agreed to them not being liable when you booked your ticket.

You agreed to terms and conditions and are now saying 'but I don't agree with those terms and conditions'...

Baggage handlers at Heathrow are notoriously brutal. I built a bike box out of corrugated plastic for when I have to travel with my bike (which is often going to various international AR variations and internally) which has arrived upside down, on it's side, on its edge etc but the nature of the packing allows the bike to be safe as houses.

Claim insurance, learn school fees and move on. Being angry at Emirates is pointless. Be angry at yourself for not reading the fine print or not packing your bike in a hard box. OR just don't be angry. It's way better for you.

I dunno.... what i DO know is that the really MUST sponsor a pro cycling team. There aren't too many companies throwing an equal amount of money at the pro peleton and it's important they keep doing it.

For the sport we love

The small print is there to naai us, simple and another tactic of suppliers to escape liability.

That's so 1970's. This is the 21st century, organisations that take our money have a duty of care and should not be allowed to fob off liability like that. They should have an agreement with their suppliers being ACSA or swissports or whoever that supplier is.

The OP is now out of pocket for the excess and having a claim raised against his account raises flags in the longer term. This through no fault of his own.

That in the 21st century, to my mind, is unacceptable.

And it seems to be a common occurrence. And we should just accept that.

Maybe as consumers we are way to passive in ZA

He had a contracts with Emirates, part of the fee he paid was airport taxes to handle baggage etc. but the contract was still between him and Emirates.

Each airport have suppliers that do various things, Emirates contract with the airports in question should somewhere cover some liability.

I think it BS that we must just accept that the airline can do nothing about the baggage handlers. They should be able to put pressure on the airports to get their house in order.

If you took your car for a service and it got scratched and the dealership told you it was their washbay supplier, sorry can’t do anything, you’d throw the book at them.

Worst story: A mate saw baggage handlers tossing bags directly onto the tarmac from the plane's cargo hold when disembarking in Atlanta. When he opened his bike bag, his frame was broken.

The nicest experience I had was with Lufhansa. On checking in with my soft bag (with lower metal frame) they diverted me to the oversized items counter. I was a bit miffed at the extra hassle, but at the oversized counter the staff efficiently pulled out an oversized hard case, plonked my whole bike bag into it and strapped the case with sturdy nylon straps - no extra charge!

The Airport contracts the baggage handlers. Not the airlines. This is why you see ACSA staff loading and unloading every plane that lands in SA.

If the airline employs the mechanics and a bolt falls out, then yes, they are responsible. But, if you feel the need to speak to the okes who make the bolts and the torque wrenches, go for it, I think it'd a waste of time personally. 

So, now that you have identified it wasn't actually Emirates staff who handled your bike and getting back to the 1 question - your insurance paid you out, like mine has done twice before on a overseas trip, as per normal in this situation - what do you want from Emirates?

You purchase an Emirates ticket and therefore enter into a contract with Emirates, not the airport they're landing at, nor the baggage handlers. Your only avenue for addressing issues is with Emirates. If there is a legitimate claim it would be Emirates responsibility to settle with you - their customer - and then the onus would be on them to claim from the airport, and so on. Stating he should claim from the baggage handlers directly is rather silly...

As to the insurance issue, willy nilly claiming from insurance hurts you for something you didn't do - you have to pay the excess, your premiums go up. Yes we have insurance for when other avenues fail, but other avenues should first be exhausted so that the party that caused the damage is held liable for it, not you. 

The small print is there to naai us, simple and another tactic of suppliers to escape liability.

That's so 1970's. This is the 21st century, organisations that take our money have a duty of care and should not be allowed to fob off liability like that. They should have an agreement with their suppliers being ACSA or swissports or whoever that supplier is.

The OP is now out of pocket for the excess and having a claim raised against his account raises flags in the longer term. This through no fault of his own.

That in the 21st century, to my mind, is unacceptable.

And it seems to be a common occurrence. And we should just accept that.

Maybe as consumers we are way to passive in ZA

The small print is not there to naai us, it is there to protect them. Its a subtle but very important difference.

That we all read our T&Cs a bit better the second time around?

In the end, we don't really have an option. The airlines all have similar rules, so if you want to fly with your bike (or suitcase, laptop, child, etc) you have no choice but to accept that they make the (crappy) rules.

Perhaps, there's an opportunity for a disruption to change the industry?

In the end, we don't really have an option. The airlines all have similar rules, so if you want to fly with your bike (or suitcase, laptop, child, etc) you have no choice but to accept that they make the (crappy) rules.

Perhaps, there's an opportunity for a disruption to change the industry?

Good luck upsetting the transportation industry.......

Everyone is 'go vegan, recycle, be sustainable, industry bad BUT travel is goooood....' because jet streams and such don't impact our planet.

Look, I think in today's world, make sure your bases are covered, be selective as to what you travel with and how and don't expect anyone to take ownership of anything. 

It's a sad thing to say, but YOU will be happier after taking responsibility and stop expecting anything from others. Most especially large scale companies with very little personable interest for the individual.

How many people are unhappy with Windows 10?! Loads.... Do Microsoft actually care? No

Good luck upsetting the transportation industry.......

Everyone is 'go vegan, recycle, be sustainable, industry bad BUT travel is goooood....' because jet streams and such don't impact our planet.

Look, I think in today's world, make sure your bases are covered, be selective as to what you travel with and how and don't expect anyone to take ownership of anything. 

It's a sad thing to say, but YOU will be happier after taking responsibility and stop expecting anything from others. Most especially large scale companies with very little personable interest for the individual.

How many people are unhappy with Windows 10?! Loads.... Do Microsoft actually care? No

That is the greatest post of the week.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

The Hub is on fire today.