Silk Road Mountain Race

RFC311

The Silk Road Mountain Race is a fixed route, unsupported, single-stage cycling race through the mountains of Kyrgyzstan. The clock does not stop and there are no prizes. It follows gravel, single and double track and old soviet roads that have long been forgotten and fallen into disrepair. There is very little tarmac. There is some walking, and at times there is great distances between resupply points.

WHEN: August 17th to August 31st, 2019

WHERE: Start in Bishkek & finish in Cholpon Ata, Kyrgyzstan

WHO: Racers can ride solo or as a pair

DISTANCE: ~1700 kilometres / 27,000m of climbing. Fixed route with 3 staffed checkpoints.

END: After party the evening of August 31st, 2019

COST: 360£ or 300£ with your own tracker (including VAT)

The race starts on the 17th of August 2019 with a ‘grand départ’ from Bishkek, the capital of Kyrgyzstan. Riders will follow a 1700 kilometre fixed route that passes through three staffed control points. They will need to get a stamp in their brevet card at each, before finally heading to the finish line in Cholpon Ata, a beach resort on the north shore of lake Issyk-Kul, for a well deserved post-race beer or two. To earn a successful finish they will need to complete the course before the end of the after party on the 31st of August.

How tough it will be cannot be understated, but as Mike Hall once said, “Nothing that’s worth anything is ever easy.” This race will be a true demonstration of this sentiment.

Edited by RFC311

I am. Previously saw Kevin Benkenstein on the start list but can't find him on dot watching tracker tool.

Did Kevin not start?

Yes - six riders from SA.

Indeed but Benkie is not one of them.

Did some asking round and found out he did not make it to the start

• 1 year later...