Tough 28h 29er rims

Traveler

Advice please, want to upgrade the DT Swiss Spline X1700 rims, however, keeping the hubs with straight pull spokes.

Would like them to be 27mm or wider ID rims. Important to be tough rims.

Locally I’ve seen only cSixx and Lyne offer 28h hole hoops.

I was sitting with the same problem, ended up buying Bontrager Kovee elite30 rims... Not extremely cheap, but they look super nice, has an amazing warranty and is tough as nails

Decent Chinese ones. Chat to Nick the Wheelbuilder for some Nextie hoops.

Chinese and descent; how does that go in one sentence? It is like Chinese and quality, kind of mutually exclusive? 

I was sitting with the same problem, ended up buying Bontrager Kovee elite30 rims... Not extremely cheap, but they look super nice, has an amazing warranty and is tough as nails

Available as a rim only, I do not want replace hubs. 

Yes, I believe they are. But Im not sure of the price

Last time I checked, they are about R4k per rim, but Nick would give you a better idea. Really good quality, and would allow you to use your existing hubs.

Chinese and descent; how does that go in one sentence? It is like Chinese and quality, kind of mutually exclusive? 

I Completely disagree with this statement!

Almost all major brands are manufactured in China, with very strict quality controls. I know many people who have purchased non-branded items from China and haven't had a single issue with wheels, frames etc. 

A reputable seller helps a lot in this instance. Sure, there is a lot of junk that comes out of China, but there is also some serious quality at a fraction of the price. 

This is how I see it:

China works like this:

If you want them to build you a carbon rim for R1k, they will do it. Cutting the necessary corners to get to the R1k price point.

If you want them to build you a carbon rim to sell for R3k, they will do it. Giving you a much better rim.

Edited by Goodbadugly

I Completely disagree with this statement!

Almost all major brands are manufactured in China, with very strict quality controls. I know many people who have purchased non-branded items from China and haven't had a single issue with wheels, frames etc. 

A reputable seller helps a lot in this instance. Sure, there is a lot of junk that comes out of China, but there is also some serious quality at a fraction of the price. 

I completely disagree with such a swooping statement. 

Most major and reputable bike brands are manufactured in Taiwan. 

Which is of course is a politically debatable answer. According to China, Taiwan is part of China, and according to Taiwan, they are not China. 

Decided upon Easton ARC 27's. I did not know they make 28h rims. 

Have RaceFace ARC 30's on my 27.5 and they have proven to be very durable.