My son's first bicycle

lenzman

My son is two weeks old and I am keen to get some advice.

I want to find out when he can start riding and what the best options are for his development.

Balance bike vs other options?

I want to get him a carbon frame and 140mm travel on the front as his first bike but that is me just being me.

What are your experiences as a parent and how can you best advise me?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing i got my son was the "First Bike" balance bike, he transitioned onto a Trek Pre Caliber without any assistance and rode straight away.

Nice thing about the "First Bike" is that it limits the steering so they cant lock the steering and see their @rses.

My 2nd one is on the balance bike now and is rocking it.

#trainingwheelsmustfall 

I saw such a small boy at the park yesterday on a tiny pedal bike. 

He was ripping it up with a proper kids MTB helmet on his tiny head.

Looks like anything is possible.

Congratulations!

One thing I can say is that as he grows be prepared to buy a new bike pretty much every year but don't be tempted to get him a bike too big as yes he will grow into it eventually but I've seen too many children really struggling on bikes that are waaaaay too big.

My daughters started off on balance bikes and took about 20 minutes to get the hang of a pedal bike.Don't push them onto a pedal bike too soon.

Forgot to add, the most important thing is to make riding fun for him, stop and look at a tree, rock, bird,  pretty view whatever, chat, laugh and enjoy.

Congratulations!

One thing I can say is that as he grows be prepared to buy a new bike pretty much every year but don't be tempted to get him a bike too big as yes he will grow into it eventually but I've seen too many children really struggling on bikes that are waaaaay too big.

Have to confess - I made that mistake. Put my son off cycling for a long time, other kids might have just taken it in their stride though - depends on the personality.

2 weeks ..... maybe he should learn to sit up straight first?   :D

Congrats!

My boys first started off strapped into the bike trailer towed by myself, along with riding those annoying plastic 3 wheel kick bikes.

The Balance bike is for sure the best upgrade after the kick bike stage.   Got my youngest a kick bike on his 3rd birthday because he showed no interrest in the small pedal one's with training wheels.   He loves he's balance bike  :thumbup:

Congrats bud.

I started my little 1 with a Y bike from 6 months old. She used it to start walking and then progressed to riding. Completed her first cycle tour/ half tour lol! but she was not even 2 at the time. Moved on to a titan balance bike, a bit heavy, but good quality. She completed the full second tour on her own  :clap:

post-59224-0-93415900-1566296515_thumb.jpg

post-59224-0-69719000-1566296539_thumb.jpg

CONGRATS Lenzman !  :clap:

You may want some bedtime reading ..... https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/83795-the-official-riding-with-kids-thread/

Our biggest mistake - those infernal 3-wheeled kick bikes .... they dont learn to balance, and it take forever to get him off that thing ....

Balance bike all the way !!  :thumbup:

Martiz was 10 days old when we bought his first "bike" .... 

post-110956-0-42459200-1566297871_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-05082700-1566297886_thumb.jpg

Once we got him onto bikes its been 13 months per bike ....  :eek:   Actually he is heading for month 14 on the 24'' ..... needs 20mm inseam to safely ride his 26'' outside.  He already rides it on the trainer though.  :w00t:

post-110956-0-58984700-1566297947_thumb.jpg

They grow up FAST !  ENJOY the journey !!

I want to find out when he can start riding and what the best options are for his development.

I want to get him a carbon frame and 140mm travel on the front as his first bike but that is me just being me.

I have an Isla balance bike that we are almost finished using. 

Even more than adult bikes, the lighter the bike the better. 

I dont know why 24" bike have front suspension. 1. It does not work. 2. it adds another 4kg to the bike. 

Kittel bike is 5,8kg and he ways 20kg. Compared to the Spez hard rock that is 12kg.

Next week Wednesday