Bike Wash

Motard660

I don't know if this was already discussed previously, but I would really appreciate your input.

To be very honest, i got a bit lazy and bought some "bike Wash" thinking that it would safe some of my time. Well, it did and worked absolute great, BUT i now notice that most of my black parts (Front Shock) got this really dull look on it that i really don't like it at all.

So, i presume that i can polish it up to get it all shiny again, but does all bike soaps do or just certain bike soaps. 

I use Sunlight dish wash soap, can't say if you may, can or may not use it on a bike.  And I never noticed any change in color on any parts.

Works for me...

I used that on my bikes before, without any discoloration, but thought i getting smart and bought bike wash  :thumbdown:  

ive  always used the NAM products, they are pretty good

i know its cheezy and i'm not a show pony but i love their bike polish, it will make you bike shine like new, but that is only for special occasions 

I used that on my bikes before, without any discoloration, but thought i getting smart and bought bike wash  :thumbdown:  

I used car wash soap in the past.  Bike and car soap is probably the same?

The best and cheapest is the cheapest car wash shampoo you can find (without the wax).

Sunlight is not made with paint in mind, where the car wash shampoo is.

Maybe I should switch from Sunlight to car wash soap.  My car also gets a Sunlight wash.

I don't know if this was already discussed previously, but I would really appreciate your input.

To be very honest, i got a bit lazy and bought some "bike Wash" thinking that it would safe some of my time. Well, it did and worked absolute great, BUT i now notice that most of my black parts (Front Shock) got this really dull look on it that i really don't like it at all.

So, i presume that i can polish it up to get it all shiny again, but does all bike soaps do or just certain bike soaps.

muc off bike spray will fix it.

I use Clean Green - have been for years. 

Process: 

• Apply CG to the bike through one of those trigger bottles 
  • Allow to dry or just sit for a while
  • Rinse with water and a chamois to get the stubborn stains off
  • Dry with a towel
  • Lube chain and apply oil to the pedals

I have never had any discoloration on the paint. 

My theory is that I do not purchase something with only one purpose, like I do not purchase a "bike wash" if something I have in my house will suffice just as well  :thumbup:

Maybe I should switch from Sunlight to car wash soap.  My car also gets a Sunlight wash.

Ja that's going to be bad for the paint in the long run.

And you can get carwash soap dirt cheap at those 'soap factory' stores.

Edited by Swim.Bike.Run

Castrol DWF, aka de-watering fluid... spray bike(NB: except for brakes and brake rotors!!!) after washing and wipe with cloth, also prevents surface corrosion especially on bolts and things and rubbing parts. Silicon sprays also work but value for money I find DWF to be a win.

In the motorbike world they call it 2 grand in a can because the bike just looks so good afterwards... So if a bike feels slightly slippery when you look at it be aware. Also note mud doesn't stick to this stuff as much either but light dust really sticks to it.

Edited by dave303e

I use car wash shampoo, if its good enough for the car then no probs for the bike.

and every soo often I use a polish, car polish with no issues.

i used to use clean green but that got a bit expensive. Now i use Shield Engine Cleaner. It's cheap and can find it at pick and pay. 

Works for me and no fading of colour. 

Muc Off user over here. Bikes look brand new after every wash. 

same here.

and the dude washing a car with Sunlight!?!!?  :eek:  :nuke:  :eek:

Forgot to add, I know what he means by black parts looking "dull".  Especially fox fork lowers and crowns.   I found some Muc Off Bike Spray post-was sorted this.  Also removes the water bits that are left.... I do my rear mech, the linkage "box" and my SPDs.