Bike Wash

Motard660

same here.

and the dude washing a car with Sunlight!?!!?  :eek:  :nuke:  :eek:

That would be me...

The reason for the Sunlight:  I always have Sunlight and I never have car shampoo.  I sould probably just buy car shampoo when I buy Sunlight (probably in the same isle at the supermarket).

Forgot to add, I know what he means by black parts looking "dull".  Especially fox fork lowers and crowns.   I found some Muc Off Bike Spray post-was sorted this.  Also removes the water bits that are left.... I do my rear mech, the linkage "box" and my SPDs.

Exactly what i was talking about!! 

That would be me...

The reason for the Sunlight:  I always have Sunlight and I never have car shampoo.  I sould probably just buy car shampoo when I buy Sunlight (probably in the same isle at the supermarket).

Same here, thought i treat my bike and now sitting with a dull looking fork (Fox)

I have always used car wash soap for frame. On my chains, casettes and cranks I use clean green. I once tried a degreaser and it worked a million times better than the clean green but it made my ultegra crank go a much lighter grey. Even worse is not the whole thing, so just the parts I got the degreaser on. It looks atrocious. That was the first and last time I used that stuff. Now I just use clean green on the lubed parts. 

Sunlight, been using it for years on bikes with some lukewarm water, never an issue with paint fading or any weird stuff hapening, after years of washing with it. Use cleangreen on the cassette/chain with an old toothbrush, and that's it.

• 1 month later...

I have found, on my motorbike, that using Prepsol has that dulling effect on the black painted frame. I still use it, and on the MTB too, but have become selective where I spray it.

Regarding chainset parts, for me good old paraffin is the way to go, and taking the chain off and soaking it in a shallow recepticle works best.

I use Shield Sheen and spray it on everywhere afterwards, looks great. That's my "2 grand in a can".... It doesn't cost a lot either, look for the large cans, much better value for money. ( plus it deodorises your garage :thumbup: )

Sunlight and other general purpose cleaners use salt to thicken the formula. So you don't want that on Any paint... Ever seen those older cars with peeling clear coat patches? That's not the sun, that's sunlight.

Use a car shampoo, a neutral degreaser, or anything specified for sensitive surfaces.

Another add on - neutral cleaners don't mean neutral on the PH scale, rather, it means that if the surface you're cleaning won't be hurt by water, then it won't be hurt by the chemical.

Personally, I use a neutral detergent on the bike and bits, and then wipe down chainrings and cassette teeth with a cloth. Chain gets removed and chucked in the nearest strongest cleaner I can find, and rinsed super well before drying and relube.

Polish is personal preference but Mr min works the best and is readily available and cheap.

Been using Clean Green as in post #9, with some engine degreaser on the chain set-up and parts. Sunlight in my opinion is not good on painted parts, as it actually removes polish.

I have found, on my motorbike, that using Prepsol has that dulling effect on the black painted frame. I still use it, and on the MTB too, but have become selective where I spray it.

Regarding chainset parts, for me good old paraffin is the way to go, and taking the chain off and soaking it in a shallow recepticle works best.

I use Shield Sheen and spray it on everywhere afterwards, looks great. That's my "2 grand in a can".... It doesn't cost a lot either, look for the large cans, much better value for money. ( plus it deodorises your garage :thumbup: ) 

+1 on the Sheen Xtreme spray - use it on my dirt bikes too! Love the stuff. Clean Green(or similar) for the wash.