Rugby World Cup 2019

Eddy Gordo

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm

I follow a few of the players from both teams on twitter and the AB guys(as well as the teams account) had only good things to say about the BOKKE and Japan as a host. England-NOTHING. I guess we been slating them and their dance the last week but at least they were good sportsman afterwards. 

If they moan about that first try bring a forward pass...I watched on English tv and even the commentators had no doubts about the try.

There was one incident where we were lucky I think and that was early on when Eben was left isolated and he held on for a bit too long.... But that was it

ummmm.

unfortunately very few people know what a forward actually is these days, and that's including the refs, TMO and commentators.

Wayne Barnes pulled back one in the 3rd place game...totally backwards from the player, and cost Smith a hatrick

PsdT/took a deflection off Handre Pollard and it ended up being a penalty for accidental offsided, was definitely backwards, cost 3 points.

ummmm.

PsdT/took a deflection off Handre Pollard and it ended up being a penalty for accidental offsided, was definitely backwards, cost 3 points.

I was wondering about that myself.. Never got another look at it.. So accepted the decision

I was wondering about that myself.. Never got another look at it.. So accepted the decision

They will make it much easier to determine if a pass was forward if they change the definition of a forward pass. The fact that they take the speed of the passing player in consideration makes the judgement call much more difficult. How do a ref determine if the forward movement of the ball was more or less than the speed of the player. I simply do not buy into the movement out of hand and the position of the hands as the determining factor.

I think they should go back to no forward movement of the ball over the ground at all as a determining factor if a pass was forward or not. It makes the ref's job much easier and leaves no space for a bad judgement call by the TV refs.

They will make it much easier to determine if a pass was forward if they change the definition of a forward pass. The fact that they take the speed of the passing player in consideration makes the judgement call much more difficult. How do a ref determine if the forward movement of the ball was more or less than the speed of the player. I simply do not buy into the movement out of hand and the position of the hands as the determining factor.

I think they should go back to no forward movement of the ball over the ground at all as a determining factor if a pass was forward or not. It makes the ref's job much easier and leaves no space for a bad judgement call by the TV refs.

So player passing the ball and player receiving should stand still?

So player passing the ball and player receiving should stand still?

No man, just throw the ball more towards the back. The ball will travel the same speed as the passer, but then the receiver must get the ball on the same line when the ball was passed. This is not rocket science.

Edited by Moridin

yep, that's the only way physics will allow his suggestion.

Moridin, i think you need to brush up on your understanding of relative motion ;)

I understand it quite well. It is the refs that sometimes struggles with this. All I am suggesting is a way to remove any ambiguity in the calls made.

No man, just throw the ball more towards the back. The ball will travel the same speed as the passer, but then the receiver must get the ball on the same line when the ball was passed. This is not rocket science.

As in only go laterally?

I'm sure that was the rule originally, and then in about 1923 they realised how silly it was if you wanted to run and pass at the same time.

I understand it quite well. It is the refs that sometimes struggles with this. All I am suggesting is a way to remove any ambiguity in the calls made.

well, i understand your desire for simplification, but outside of the passer standing deadstill, it's not easily possible given that the forward speed vector is often many times higher than any rearward vector.

As in only go laterally?

I'm sure that was the rule originally, and then in about 1923 they realised how silly it was if you wanted to run and pass at the same time.

But that was how we played it at school. (ok, must admit, it was not much later than 1923 :whistling: )

The ball receiver had to be behind the guy passing it at the time he receives the ball, otherwise it was deemed forward.