Rating Low Ball & Rude Hubbers

throttles

109 members have voted

1. 1. Should we rate Low Ball and Rude hubbers even if a sale was not completed?

• Yes
    • No

Hi there, so I have some stuff for sale and notice that I receive many 1 line pm's with low ball offers.

Ex. Brand new Sidi Shot Retails for R7500, advertised on bikehub for R3450

Receive offer for R2000..

Then there are Some hubbers that respond with offers but if you accept they fall off the face of the earth!?

In my ads I suggest the preferred channel for contact, Cell number, whatsapp but still receive pm's and if you don't respond you sometimes get another pm with !! and ??

My question is:

Should we rate Low Ball and Rude hubbers even if a sale was not completed?

Edited by throttles

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

low balling is low balling in your opinion, your item may be overpriced to start with (not saying this is the case here). maybe try to negotiate if you have no other buyers or just ignore and move on.

accepted offers i think is fair to rate neutral unless there is a fair and timeous reason for withdrawing offer. 

I'd be surprised if I didn't get a low ball offer on a sale. I don't find it a problem and just really with a simple 'Sorry, I think it's a good price for the [insert item] so I'll hang on for the moment and say no.' It's only annoying if you let it annoy you. What does it take, like under a minute to ready and send back or ignore? 

People, are allowed to make and offer and I've occasionally made a low offer on something that I maybe wasn't keen on at that price as I didn't think it was worth it or I was 50 / 50 on it at the full price but 80% into it at a lower price. Often I just pay asking price because I think it's worth that much to me.

As for PM's vs Whatsapp. If you specify then they should contact you that way but if there is the PM / email option on the advert so some people will contact you on that or via all the options if they are amping for the item. If you specify Whatsapp and they miss out because they contacted you a different way then then that's on them. 

Personally I hate having to contact via Whatapp. It means I have to add you to my contacts and I end up with load of people I don't know and don't really want clogging up my contacts. I tend to just send an SMS and then you can clog up your address book with me if you're too cheap to send an SMS!  :P

I understand the frustration. The tactics is obvious. Once you accept the offer they know what your lower threshold is. Sometimes they use a second account and drive the offer lower because you now no longer have a buyer. Just ignore and reset.

Hi there, so I have some stuff for sale and notice that I receive many 1 line pm's with low ball offers.

Ex. Brand new Sidi Shot Retails for R7500, advertised on bikehub for R3450

Receive offer for R2000..

Then there are Some hubbers that respond with offers but if you accept they fall off the face of the earth!?

In my ads I suggest the preferred channel for contact, Cell number, whatsapp but still receive pm's and if you don't respond you sometimes get another pm with !! and ??

My question is:

Should we rate Low Ball and Rude hubbers even if a sale was not completed?

I understand your frustration with this, but speaking in the context of our Terms of Use and intended use of the rating system this would not be allowed.

Ratings and feedback should only be submitted in the event that an agreement to transact was in place.

This is intended to limit the scope for abuse of the rating system. If positive/negative ratings are allowed at whim, without an agreement between the buyer and seller, the integrity of the system falls apart. That said we do know that currently not all ratings adhere to this policy and it's something we're addressing in a platform update later this year.

That unfortunately doesn't solve for low-ballers.

Some people will low ball as they want a bargain. I guess there is no harm in that, if you're not happy with the price then say no. You might say yes though and someone who can't afford something at the more expensive price might just get a good deal. If you don't ask then there there isn't a chance. Doesn't bother me in the least. 

I also lowball at times, depending on what it is and what I think its worth. I understand a lowball is not everyones cup of tea, but at least or rather think it as an opening to negotiating. Well, if you want to get something sold that is. Your counter offer could be R100 less or a low number with, this is as low as I will let it go for.

I should ad that this is for used goods only. Not new items

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Would you accept R500 for the shoes

Now now, no need to be a keyboard warrior and lowballer all in once. Its deemed offensive to ask questions!

If ratings were given on feelings and how buyers/sellers communicate then it would dilute the effectiveness of the ratings system.

That is part of life, people can be dicks.