Intermediate Road Bike Advice

toptoobnoob

Hey everyone

I'm looking to get more involved in road racing. I've done a couple cycle tours but am looking to get more serious about my times as well as training. My forthcoming goal is to focus on triathlons (if that matters).

I haven't got a hard budget, but I was thinking ~10k-15k. Trying to get the best bang for the buck, and something I won't grow out of in a couple of months.

Should I buy new (2018 Titan bikes for example) or rather go for a used carbon bike?

If I wasn't specific enough, let me know.

Thanks for the help in advance.

:thumbup:

Suggested sequence:

1)Proper bikefit:R800-R1500

This will tell you EXACTLY what bike to shop for in terms of size

2)Shop patiently on Bikehub classifieds and go ride some bikes, even borrow bikes from friends to see what the fuss is about an expensive bike. What do you like and what don't you like from specific bikes.

You should pick up a brilliant 2nd-hand carbon bike for the remaining R14k, or even below R10k if you are patient and savvy. With the balance you can get some proper race-fit bibs and Jersey which should make you feel the part and it will certainly help with the aero drag versus an old loose Jersey.

My 2c, I don't really see the use in buying a bike new.

Suggested sequence:

1)Proper bikefit:R800-R1500

This will tell you EXACTLY what bike to shop for in terms of size

2)Shop patiently on Bikehub classifieds and go ride some bikes, even borrow bikes from friends to see what the fuss is about an expensive bike. What do you like and what don't you like from specific bikes.

You should pick up a brilliant 2nd-hand carbon bike for the remaining R14k, or even below R10k if you are patient and savvy. With the balance you can get some proper race-fit bibs and Jersey which should make you feel the part and it will certainly help with the aero drag versus an old loose Jersey.

My 2c, I don't really see the use in buying a bike new.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually had a bike fit (ErgoFit I believe) a little while ago, not sure if these numbers are sufficient to go by?

Frame Size

-Frame Reach: 40

Fit Parameters

-Seat Height: 71.9

-Saddle Setback: 6.3

-Reach: 44.3

-Drop: 6.9

-Stem: 80.0

-Crank Length: 172.5

Does this look like it corresponds to any particular frame size or should I go back to them for some more specific information?

Thanks again for the help :).

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually had a bike fit (ErgoFit I believe) a little while ago, not sure if these numbers are sufficient to go by?

Frame Size

Fit Parameters

Does this look like it corresponds to any particular frame size or should I go back to them for some more specific information?

How tall are you and what is your inseam measurement?

Frame Size

Fit Parameters

They should really give you some more useful information than that.

Firstly, they should ideally give you a frame size to shop for. ie. Size 58 or 56 or whatever it is. Then they should offer to transfer these sizes to the new bike you will purchase, for a discounted fee.

Failing that, the should give you Frame Reach and Frame Stack. This you will be able to check against the various frame geometry specs to ensure you get one that fits the closest, it just makes the tinkering easier.

Another gripe of mine: there are no units of measurement next to those numbers. Are those mm, cm or inches...? You can make assumptions on most of them but they are all over the place. They should just go to mm on all of them and include the units behind each number to avoid confusion. Better yet, map them on a bicycle graphic and no-one has to wonder what they meant by "Drop" (I assume it is handlebar drop but you never know)

My guess from the above is that you are a fairly above-average length rider, 1.84m to 1.88m?

Then you should probably be looking at something in the size 58 range of frames. There is a filter in the Bikehub Classifieds where you can select to only see specific sizes listed, use it.

But first, best you contact them and get them to give you some useful dimensions to go shop with.

They should really give you some more useful information than that.

Firstly, they should ideally give you a frame size to shop for. ie. Size 58 or 56 or whatever it is. Then they should offer to transfer these sizes to the new bike you will purchase, for a discounted fee.

Failing that, the should give you Frame Reach and Frame Stack. This you will be able to check against the various frame geometry specs to ensure you get one that fits the closest, it just makes the tinkering easier.

Another gripe of mine: there are no units of measurement next to those numbers. Are those mm, cm or inches...? You can make assumptions on most of them but they are all over the place. They should just go to mm on all of them and include the units behind each number to avoid confusion. Better yet, map them on a bicycle graphic and no-one has to wonder what they meant by "Drop" (I assume it is handlebar drop but you never know)

My guess from the above is that you are a fairly above-average length rider, 1.84m to 1.88m?

Then you should probably be looking at something in the size 58 range of frames. There is a filter in the Bikehub Classifieds where you can select to only see specific sizes listed, use it.

But first, best you contact them and get them to give you some useful dimensions to go shop with.

I read that totally differently. My guess is he's at the lower end of 170cm - 180cm. My seat/saddle height is 773mm and I'm 181cm.

Edit: Also, frame reach of 40cm is like a 54-ish top tube.

Edited by bertusras

I read that totally differently. My guess is he's at the lower end of 170cm - 180cm. My seat/saddle height is 773mm and I'm 181cm.

Edit: Also, frame reach of 40cm is like a 54-ish top tube.

I was also reading the same with regard to the saddle height as am 178cm and my saddle is 745mm, but then the reach does not add up in relation to the saddle height of 719mm.

As a Cervelo S5 reach on a 58cm bike is 401mm https://www.cervelo.com/en/s5

Something not right with the info provided unless the OP has very short legs and long torso

I was also reading the same with regard to the saddle height as am 178cm and my saddle is 745mm, but then the reach does not add up in relation to the saddle height of 719mm.

Something not right with the info provided unless the OP has very short legs and long torso

Actually, you're right about the reach, I didn't look at my charts properly.

Something doesn't quite add up though. Low saddle, super long reach, and a short stem?

Something doesn't quite add up though. Low saddle, super long reach, and a short stem?

Things get confused very quickly when you only have dimensions and they are not linked up to a drawing. 

Some bikefitters measure "Reach" as the horizontal distance from the Vertical line intersecting the BB to the centre of the head tube on the frame. Others measure it from the BB to the center of the handlebar. 

I could go on with the other measurements, but you get the picture.

OP will need to get more info from his bike fitter.

With saddle height of 71.9cm, a 54 is most likely, but a 56 might work depending on OP's arm/torso length and flexibility.

As above, it's best to find/borrow a bike that fits you well and get the reach/stack numbers if buying a bike sight unseen. Frame size alone will not help much as they differ too much between brands.

I'd wager the reach you're looking for is closer to 385-390...unless the bike fit people compensated for the long reach by speccing a short-ish 80mm stem. I'd rather get a frame with a shorter reach and get a 90mm - 100mm stem.

He's been sized for a Mountain bike based on those numbers. And it looks like a Medium to large size bike based on the numbers.

SNIP

I'm looking to get more involved in road racing. I've done a couple cycle tours but am looking to get more serious about my times as well as training. My forthcoming goal is to focus on triathlons (if that matters).

SNIP

He's been sized for a Mountain bike based on those numbers. And it looks like a Medium to large size bike based on the numbers.

You are probably on the money there, :thumbup: seeing as he is trying to get into road cycling, so the previous fit he referred to was probably on the MTB.

As far as I remember the only carry-over form there would be to use the MTB saddle height as a starting point when doing the road fit, the rest is not going to add value for sizing a road bike.