Intermediate Road Bike Advice

toptoobnoob

You are probably on the money there, :thumbup: seeing as he is trying to get into road cycling, so the previous fit he referred to was probably on the MTB.

As far as I remember the only carry-over form there would be to use the MTB saddle height as a starting point when doing the road fit, the rest is not going to add value for sizing a road bike.

the reach can be useful.

my road bike has a reach of 368 plus a 110mm stem = 478mm effective reach

mtb reach is 424+80mm stem= 504 - sweep of 25mm (Measured center of the gripL to center of gripR then measure how far behind the center of the bar clamp the line intersects.

= 479

so in his case we can do 443+80 = 523 - 25mm (assume similar sweep distance*) 

= 498 - stem length 100mm = 398mm or 388mm if an 110mm stem is used.

that seems to fall into size L or XL territory but the saddle height indicates medium.

so short legs long torso territory or incorrect measurements somewhere?

He's been sized for a Mountain bike based on those numbers. And it looks like a Medium to large size bike based on the numbers.

Clever lad, didn't even cross my mind.

The real story here is the disappearance of the OP leaving us all in suspense!

Okay, it looks like I need to get more info from the fitters.

To clear some things up, I'm about 178cm tall and am quite flexible. I was fitted on an old Peugeot road bike for the Argus earlier this year at Sports Science Institute in Cape Town.

I found this image for the fit numbers if this helps at all:

https://imgur.com/vJt2U9K

As for 'getting into road racing', I definitely have many more hours on the mountain but have done a few road races here and there. Definitely want to start getting faster though.

Okay, it looks like I need to get more info from the fitters.

To clear some things up, I'm about 178cm tall and am quite flexible. I was fitted on an old Peugeot road bike for the Argus earlier this year at Sports Science Institute in Cape Town.

I found this image for the fit numbers if this helps at all:

https://imgur.com/vJt2U9K

As for 'getting into road racing', I definitely have many more hours on the mountain but have done a few road races here and there. Definitely want to start getting faster though.

Likely be a 54cm frame (M), with flexibility, perhaps even a 55cm.

I am 178 have both a 54 and 55cm road bike. 

Likely be a 54cm frame (M), with flexibility, perhaps even a 55cm.

I am 178 have both a 54 and 55cm road bike. 

Yeah, like I said earlier, I'm 181 on a 56, but as it turns out I have longer legs than upper body, and would probably be better off with a 54 and a longer stem.

Okay, thanks for the help everyone!

Looks like I'll set aside some time and about 10k-12k to find a good deal on a used bike and spend the rest of the budget on some gear (maybe an indoor trainer etc).

Didn't expect so much help - thanks again! :clap:  :clap: