New Garmin Fenix 6

shaper

Rumour mill now starting about a Fenix 7 to be released in September 2021. all rumours at the minute but it seems to be about 2 years between releases. We wait n see i spose as Covid may have an influence. 

that said, the 6 is an awesome device and i would not upgrade unless the 6 failed completely. 

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had my Fenix 6 for 2 years now and still in awe of it. Sure the next gen model is soon coming to a store near you however i just pulled the trigger on a 6S Pro with solar for my wife which is now nicely discounted. Subdued rose gold with nice sand coloured strap. She better love me long time. 

I cannot think of any additional features i would need to be honest, Garmin have created such a briliant product they may have shot themselves in the foot. The 6 will remain on my wrist til it fails completely. 

27 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Had my Fenix 6 for 2 years now and still in awe of it. Sure the next gen model is soon coming to a store near you however i just pulled the trigger on a 6S Pro with solar for my wife which is now nicely discounted. Subdued rose gold with nice sand coloured strap. She better love me long time. 

I cannot think of any additional features i would need to be honest, Garmin have created such a briliant product they may have shot themselves in the foot. The 6 will remain on my wrist til it fails completely. 

Hmmm- I have a Fenix 6X Pro Solar and YES YES YES - it is phenomenal. There is not a thing this watch cannot do. BUUUUUUT...my wish list for Fenix 7:

1. AMOLED display - does not have to be touch screen (in fact prefer buttons whilst training). So the same watch same features (very important) just AMOLED. If it takes battery life down from 21 days to say 8 - I am happy! 

2. Slightly smaller/less weight - by smaller I mean only watch form factor - NOT THE SCREEN! The bigger the better ????

3. Better Pulse Ox - Tested many different devices and the Fenix 6x Pulse Ox is always about 3% - 4% under actual value. I tested the new Venu 2 and it is SPOT ON! I suspect Fenix 7 will have new Sensor at back similar to Venu 2

4. EKG and/or Blood pressure - I am 50/50 on this one but will be a nice to have

5. Support for Connect IQ V4 development - I think this will be a given though!

6. I will not buy Solar again - that is a waste! Makes no real difference.  

What else would you like top see on Fenix 7? Give me 1,2 & 3 and I will buy it immediately! 

Rumours are all over but as to when the Fenix 7 is being released - no one seems to know as they are late already

Edited by pedal menace

49 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Hmmm- I have a Fenix 6X Pro Solar and YES YES YES - it is phenomenal. There is not a thing this watch cannot do. BUUUUUUT...my wish list for Fenix 7:

1. AMOLED display - does not have to be touch screen (in fact prefer buttons whilst training). So the same watch same features (very important) just AMOLED. If it takes battery life down from 21 days to say 8 - I am happy! 

2. Slightly smaller/less weight - by smaller I mean only watch form factor - NOT THE SCREEN! The bigger the better ????

3. Better Pulse Ox - Tested many different devices and the Fenix 6x Pulse Ox is always about 3% - 4% under actual value. I tested the new Venu 2 and it is SPOT ON! I suspect Fenix 7 will have new Sensor at back similar to Venu 2

4. EKG and/or Blood pressure - I am 50/50 on this one but will be a nice to have

5. Support for Connect IQ V4 development - I think this will be a given though!

6. I will not buy Solar again - that is a waste! Makes no real difference.  

What else would you like top see on Fenix 7? Give me 1,2 & 3 and I will buy it immediately! 

Rumours are all over but as to when the Fenix 7 is being released - no one seems to know as they are late already

I bought my 6x Pro for the battery life. It is a true adventure watch. There are other more 'lifestyle' watches that fit that description.

Pulse Ox? If mine is 3-4% undervalued I have a pulse ox of 102 to 104...... The solar does buy you some time. I have tested it, but I agree, not enough to warrant the price tag. I have no idea what Connect IQ V4 is.

I am stoked with mine. To get 60hrs in record plus nav mode is crazy. Taking away battery life destroys it's appeal for me. I will likely never own the 7 and will always buy the watch with the best battery life while in use. My wife has the new touch screen fitness job that even counts her cross fit reps. 

To me it's a different market. 

17 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I bought my 6x Pro for the battery life. It is a true adventure watch. There are other more 'lifestyle' watches that fit that description.

Pulse Ox? If mine is 3-4% undervalued I have a pulse ox of 102 to 104...... The solar does buy you some time. I have tested it, but I agree, not enough to warrant the price tag. I have no idea what Connect IQ V4 is.

I am stoked with mine. To get 60hrs in record plus nav mode is crazy. Taking away battery life destroys it's appeal for me. I will likely never own the 7 and will always buy the watch with the best battery life while in use. My wife has the new touch screen fitness job that even counts her cross fit reps. 

To me it's a different market. 

Connect IQ4 is the new development platform for their latest Watch OS and screens. I think the Venu 2/2s is their first watch with an OS that supports the V4 development platform. Allows developers to deliver much better looking apps/watch faces with more functionality. All their new watches will support this new DEV platform (think of it as an SDK - for the tech geeks out there)

With regards to AMOLED vs battery life - I too very much want proper battery life. For that reason I simply cannot see myself wearing an Apple or Samsung watch that has the most incredible screens and features - yet requires charging every day/perhaps 2.  No thank you!!!!! My wife owns a Venu 2s and the screen is just awesome! It is really and i mean really very clear and beautiful. If you can give me a Fenix 7  with AMOLED and a battery that lasts 10-days (with some exercise sessions included) - that suits me just fine. Whether I charge every 10 days or 21 days - nothing major for me. 

I have never ever seen my Fenix 6x to give me a Pulse Ox value higher than 92/93%. I am not worried but using a medical device I always measure around 96/97%. With my wife's Venu 2s - same accurate value. 

8 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

if you guys are looking for an interesting (albeit very expensive) way to totally geek out with a Garmin compatible energy monitoring system, have a look at this...

https://www.supersapiens.com/en-EN/

Saw Mr Froomey advertising this quite a lot - I am not that serious. This device might swear at me after my 3rd coffee stop on a ride ????

5 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Connect IQ4 is the new development platform for their latest Watch OS and screens. I think the Venu 2/2s is their first watch with an OS that supports the V4 development platform. Allows developers to deliver much better looking apps/watch faces with more functionality. All their new watches will support this new DEV platform (think of it as an SDK - for the tech geeks out there)

With regards to AMOLED vs battery life - I too very much want proper battery life. For that reason I simply cannot see myself wearing an Apple or Samsung watch that has the most incredible screens and features - yet requires charging every day/perhaps 2.  No thank you!!!!! My wife owns a Venu 2s and the screen is just awesome! It is really and i mean really very clear and beautiful. If you can give me a Fenix 7  with AMOLED and a battery that lasts 10-days (with some exercise sessions included) - that suits me just fine. Whether I charge every 10 days or 21 days - nothing major for me. 

I have never ever seen my Fenix 6x to give me a Pulse Ox value higher than 92/93%. I am not worried but using a medical device I always measure around 96/97%. With my wife's Venu 2s - same accurate value. 

I have never recorded a pulse Ox less than 98%. It hovers between that and 100%. 

The thing about battery life is 21 days vs 10 days equals 60 hours vs about 24 in terms of activity tracking. There are LOADS of watches that offer that. The whole selling point of the Fenix6 was it's long battery life.  

I wouldn't have purchased one if I only got 24 to 30 hours of activity tracking. That's a fast 100 miler supported in good weather. So take it into the cold or on a 200 miler or an unsupported run/ride over 2 or 3 days and it's completely useless and loses it's edge over the other 'adventure' watches.

If the direction of the Fenix changes and it becomes another member of their 'lifestyle' watches, then I will look elsewhere when my 6x Pro fails. The Endurence model looks like a good substitute. 

I guess it's a case of having your cake and eating it OR horses for courses if we want to talk idioms. Bright, clear screens, more features, more charging = lifestyle watch. Battery life and slightly less pretty = adventure watch. 

Lets see which way Garmin decide to go with it. 

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I have never recorded a pulse Ox less than 98%. It hovers between that and 100%. 

The thing about battery life is 21 days vs 10 days equals 60 hours vs about 24 in terms of activity tracking. There are LOADS of watches that offer that. The whole selling point of the Fenix6 was it's long battery life.  

I wouldn't have purchased one if I only got 24 to 30 hours of activity tracking. That's a fast 100 miler supported in good weather. So take it into the cold or on a 200 miler or an unsupported run/ride over 2 or 3 days and it's completely useless and loses it's edge over the other 'adventure' watches.

If the direction of the Fenix changes and it becomes another member of their 'lifestyle' watches, then I will look elsewhere when my 6x Pro fails. The Endurence model looks like a good substitute. 

I guess it's a case of having your cake and eating it OR horses for courses if we want to talk idioms. Bright, clear screens, more features, more charging = lifestyle watch. Battery life and slightly less pretty = adventure watch. 

Lets see which way Garmin decide to go with it. 

Absolutely agree! Reality is that there are watches for every type of athlete. It is your choice to buy what you want. In my opinion for example - I am unlikely to do a continuous 200 miler event that often. If maybe once a year (Transbaviaans). For that a 10 day battery will suffice. If it is a multiday event - then the ability to charge the watch is not an issue. I believe a 10 day/24 hour activity watch will cover 96% of all activities - but you may be required to charge the watch more often. If that is OK with you - perfect. There will be people that says - hell no! I prefer to charge less - give me 60 hours of activity.

With that said I very much doubt if a Fenix 7 with AMOLED only will be released. The public demand for a longer battery (justified or not) is still just too big. If they release one - it will be just be on certain models. However, if I have to follow my gut - I do not even think Garmin will bring out an AMOLED Fenix 7 . It is not their target market - it is more (as you say) intended for more serious adventure athletes - it was just on my wish list - I would like it ????

Edited by pedal menace

1 minute ago, pedal menace said:

Absolutely agree! Reality is that there are watches for every type of athlete. It is your chocie to buy what you want. In my opinion for example - I am unlikely to do a continuous 200 miler event that often. If maybe once a year (Transbaviaans). For that a 10 day battery will suffice. If it is a multiday event - then the ability to charge the watch is not an issue. I believe a 10 day/24 hour activity watch will cover 96% of all activities - but you may be required to charge the watch more often. If that is OK with you - perfect. There will be people that says - hell no! I prefer to charge less - give me 60 hours of activity.

With that said I very much doubt if a Fenix 7 with AMOLED only will be released. The public demand for a longer battery (justified or not) is still just too big. If they release one - it will be just be on certain models. However, if I have to follow my gut - I do not even think Garmin will bring out an AMOLED Fenix 7 . It is not their target market - it is more (as you say) intended for more serious adventure athletes - it was just on my wish list - I would like it ????

I was talking running when I mentioned 100/200 milers.... There aren't many cycling events that it would be an issue, but for running carrying a battery pack is a pain. Mine needed charging once in 88 hours at MacMac200 and I could do that between aid stations, which was easy enough on a supported race.

I've been known to load a small pack and disappear into the mountains from Friday to Sunday. The Fenix6 means I can track my progress, use the Nav function and not have to charge it. Absolute gold. 

IMHO longer battery life is definitely justified. Not for everybody, but there is a market for it. Again, as it's a watch, not so much on the cycling front, but for those who get out off the beaten track on foot it is invaluable. 

25 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Absolutely agree! Reality is that there are watches for every type of athlete. It is your choice to buy what you want. In my opinion for example - I am unlikely to do a continuous 200 miler event that often. If maybe once a year (Transbaviaans). For that a 10 day battery will suffice. If it is a multiday event - then the ability to charge the watch is not an issue. I believe a 10 day/24 hour activity watch will cover 96% of all activities - but you may be required to charge the watch more often. If that is OK with you - perfect. There will be people that says - hell no! I prefer to charge less - give me 60 hours of activity.

Seems you are confusing a Fenix watch which is described as a multidiscipline SPORTS watch with that of a SMART watch, of which there are many on the market now with AMOLED screen and suitable short battery life. 

The fenix series caters for the endurance athelete, your Venu Series caters for the smart watch with sport functions,  The Fenix is designed to be knocked about, although many don't go further than a treadmill with it.

So having nice to add wish lists is detracting from the fenix core value, so your wish list will be better suited to other garmins.  Am sure a Venu with extended battery life would suit you and be cheaper too.

Edited by shaper

Just bought a Garmin Instinct Solar for my son. Takealot bargain!!

Far superior solar charging capability (better than F6 solar), but lacks the high end features of the F6 models.  Still a really nice piece of kit for my cycling purposes.

Same Pulse Ox sensor as the F6 - I get values between 93 and 98,

I still have the F735XT - very poor battery life for longer events.  I recon the Instinct will do pretty well in sunny conditions.

Edited by Underachiever

1 hour ago, shaper said:

Seems you are confusing a Fenix watch which is described as a multidiscipline SPORTS watch with that of a SMART watch, of which there are many on the market now with AMOLED screen and suitable short battery life. 

The fenix series caters for the endurance athelete, your Venu Series caters for the smart watch with sport functions,  The Fenix is designed to be knocked about, although many don't go further than a treadmill with it.

So having nice to add wish lists is detracting from the fenix core value, so your wish list will be better suited to other garmins.  Am sure a Venu with extended battery life would suit you and be cheaper too.

Disagree - I fully appreciate (and use) the features of my F6X. I love the watch and it fulfils all my needs! I have absolutely no issue with this watch. It is a masterpiece and caters for my needs. Just for info  - I just sold a brand new Venu 2 on the hub - as it just did not fulfil my requirements and within day one had compatibility issues with my smart indoor trainer. However - I absolutely i) loved the bright clear AMOLED screen and ii) appreciated its sensors being next gen (much better than F6 Series). With that I personally would appreciate if that could be added to the F7 series. I still want the adventure "serious athlete" multidiscipline features. I still want the ruggedness and be able to knock it about. And yes exactly like the F6X still have all the smart watch features that is currently offered.  Stating it would be nice if it gets an AMOLED display does not in anyway imply it loses its core value. So no confusion on my side - merely expressing a wish list. 

Edited by pedal menace

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I was talking running when I mentioned 100/200 milers.... There aren't many cycling events that it would be an issue, but for running carrying a battery pack is a pain. Mine needed charging once in 88 hours at MacMac200 and I could do that between aid stations, which was easy enough on a supported race.

I've been known to load a small pack and disappear into the mountains from Friday to Sunday. The Fenix6 means I can track my progress, use the Nav function and not have to charge it. Absolute gold. 

IMHO longer battery life is definitely justified. Not for everybody, but there is a market for it. Again, as it's a watch, not so much on the cycling front, but for those who get out off the beaten track on foot it is invaluable. 

Fully agree and support????