New Garmin Fenix 6

shaper

17 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Absolutely agree! Reality is that there are watches for every type of athlete. It is your choice to buy what you want. In my opinion for example - I am unlikely to do a continuous 200 miler event that often. If maybe once a year (Transbaviaans). For that a 10 day battery will suffice. If it is a multiday event - then the ability to charge the watch is not an issue. I believe a 10 day/24 hour activity watch will cover 96% of all activities - but you may be required to charge the watch more often. If that is OK with you - perfect. There will be people that says - hell no! I prefer to charge less - give me 60 hours of activity.

With that said I very much doubt if a Fenix 7 with AMOLED only will be released. The public demand for a longer battery (justified or not) is still just too big. If they release one - it will be just be on certain models. However, if I have to follow my gut - I do not even think Garmin will bring out an AMOLED Fenix 7 . It is not their target market - it is more (as you say) intended for more serious adventure athletes - it was just on my wish list - I would like it ????

If they do want to a AMOLED screeen, I suspect they'll have to bring out a new range. Wouldn't make sense having to support the Fenix in a normal screen and AMOLED screen versions - as the apps would all require different layouts etc. Too much integration testing and the like there. Also, the AMOLED version would enable other benefits otherwise the screen is wasted.

Probably they'll have Fenix and FenixAMO or something like that running as two separate product lines.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, GhostSixFour said:

If they do want to a AMOLED screeen, I suspect they'll have to bring out a new range. Wouldn't make sense having to support the Fenix in a normal screen and AMOLED screen versions - as the apps would all require different layouts etc. Too much integration testing and the like there. Also, the AMOLED version would enable other benefits otherwise the screen is wasted.

Probably they'll have Fenix and FenixAMO or something like that running as two separate product lines.

Fully agree! With that said - how much can you really improve on the F6 series? It is like cell phones over the last 5+ years - every year is pretty much the same with slightly better camera and other small things. Nothing major. I think (my gut) the F7 will:

1. Be slightly smaller/lighter (form factor only)

2. Slightly better screen resolution (but still transflective memory-in-pixel as with F6)

3. Better sensors (same as Venu 2)

4. OS/Firmware compatible with Connect IQ V4 SDK

5. Possibly with e-sim - but as always the likelihood of that initially working in SA is slim

That's all I can think of. 

Edited by pedal menace

On 9/8/2021 at 12:18 PM, IceCreamMan said:

Had my Fenix 6 for 2 years now and still in awe of it. Sure the next gen model is soon coming to a store near you however i just pulled the trigger on a 6S Pro with solar for my wife which is now nicely discounted. Subdued rose gold with nice sand coloured strap. She better love me long time. 

I cannot think of any additional features i would need to be honest, Garmin have created such a briliant product they may have shot themselves in the foot. The 6 will remain on my wrist til it fails completely. 

So, got my wife the 6s Pro Solar ... she absolutely loves it. Previously had a Vivoactive 3 so an upgrade. Nice discount too so Garmin must be getting ready to announce something.  Looks stylish to with subdued gold and light sand strap. 

I see Garmin Connect has made some changes recently so fitness age has changed and the calculations of it and added a sleep rating. (or maybe i just became aware of it) . 

On 9/10/2021 at 7:42 AM, pedal menace said:

Fully agree! With that said - how much can you really improve on the F6 series? It is like cell phones over the last 5+ years - every year is pretty much the same with slightly better camera and other small things. Nothing major. I think (my gut) the F7 will:

1. Be slightly smaller/lighter (form factor only)

2. Slightly better screen resolution (but still transflective memory-in-pixel as with F6)

3. Better sensors (same as Venu 2)

4. OS/Firmware compatible with Connect IQ V4 SDK

5. Possibly with e-sim - but as always the likelihood of that initially working in SA is slim

That's all I can think of. 

Issue is by making the Fenix so much better what do Garmin do with the Marq range? 

29 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Issue is by making the Fenix so much better what do Garmin do with the Marq range? 

Uhhhh....the MarQ is still MUCH more expensive - I mean R36k for top model!! Top model F6X Pro R17K and you can get good discount at the moment. (i.e. up to 25% if you bank with Investec). I think the MarQ still has a very small niche market (I will not buy it)

3 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Uhhhh....the MarQ is still MUCH more expensive - I mean R36k for top model!! Top model F6X Pro R17K and you can get good discount at the moment. (i.e. up to 25% if you bank with Investec). I think the MarQ still has a very small niche market (I will not buy it)

I like the look of the Marq but at the price its crazy from a functionality point of view for my needs.  Fenix also has more screen real estate etc.

If the Fenux 7 (or whatever) offers a vastly better product set it will nullify the Marq especially given the cost. 

• 3 months later...

There was much talk of the 7 being launched at CES 2022 which is currently running but nothing so far. One day to go so possibly.

lots of rumours and leaked pics and some patents applied for but to date nothing. 

anyone bought the Index S2? Got one yesterday just curious as to the long term ownership thereof.

With all leaks it seems to me the Fenix 7 will not be that big a jump from the Fenix 6. Same screen size, resolution etc. Mostly new sensors and likely touch screen. Other functionality is software related that you can get on Fenix 6 as well. How much enhancements is specific to the hardware? Not a a lot it seems. Seems the Epix 2 is the alternative if you want the NICE display etc. Whether it will have all the same bells and whistles as the Fenix 7 is not yet clear. 

16 hours ago, MrJacques said:

Yup saw that - but I am panicking a bit. Between $900 - $1000 over da waters. Can you imagine what they will cost here in SA when launching? I have my eye on the Epix (same as DC Rainmaker) BUT - I have a dreadful suspicion the watch will be close to R20K - and that is just ridiculous! 

Read the articles and feel (as I suspected) the jump from the 6x to 7x (hardware wise) is not that substantial. The Epix with the nice screen (AND decent battery life) is the proper upgrade

Edited by pedal menace

Yesterday I uploaded the new S/w version 20.30 to my Fenix 6, I am well impressed. Just did one run this morning this morning and it appears to track metrics more accurately than before. 

will hold onto the 6 for awhile I reckon.