How often do you really use your GoPro?

Markellis

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New thread idea: Post your lame singletrack GoPro videos.

Please No!  I see some guys have 2, 3 or 4 HOUR clips!

2 or 3 minutes I might be able to do, but hours... madness! :eek:

there goes our lunch hour   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Please No!  I see some guys have 2, 3 or 4 HOUR clips!

2 or 3 minutes I might be able to do, but hours... madness! :eek:

Thanks all for the replies, seems like a real mixed bag.

Probably best I look out for a decent 2nd hand one and see if I find value in it.

Would a Hero 5 or 6 still be good enough? Or is the 7 black the one to get?

I had the Hero 3 Black, lost it in the ocean, dont ask.

Got the 7 Black and lovit.

But my needs for getting the 7 might be different than yours.

I was after the ability to shoot photos in Raw (only the black versions of the 5,6 or 7 can do this if I remember correctly), meaning I can edit the shots the way I like and definitely the image stabilization.  It is Hypersmooth ;)  and it just got better and better from the 5 to the 6 to the 7. 

The 7 offers higher frame rates at higher resolution for video, 4k at 60fps vs 4k at 30fps.

Doubt anyone on social media will notice the difference.

If you are into super slow-mo shots, the 7 offers that at the same 240fps than the 5/6 but at a higher resolution 1090 vs 720.

The 5 or 6 are still pretty good.

I bought the 3 (black) on Amazon just before it was launched in SA, for less than half the price in SA. A friend brought it over a month or two later.

I use it on every long trip as a dash cam, in case I need the video evidence. Can be bothered to use it as a dash cam every day as (1) it’s bulky with the suction cup and mounts needed to point in the right direction.

The recorded video and time lapse photos on two Jhb2Shova tours, but the boredom of viewing resulted in the usual feeling of “it’s not that great to have”.

The girls enjoy swimming with it, even if it’s just to watch it for a few days afterwards.

I have the bike mount with the Red-E powerbank, so I usually run out of (32GB) SD card space before I run out of juice (the battery version, not 32GI).

Will I sell? Perhaps a swap for a Garmin dash cam, or something else - otherwise not.

I did record a Crit with it, which was used for an advert we made to promote the old Helivac Crit series.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDFQVsdGShH/

I have got 2 GoPro heros 3s. Used quite often for the first half of the year and then on the odd occasion for a while after that and for the last 2/3 years have barely touched it. However I think having one of the newer versions could make it more user friendly and result in using it more often. (Side note if you looking for buy a second hand hero 3 hit me up haha)

I have a '4' and '6'.  

Use them for most of my races - edit the video down into about a 4 minute video for memories and to share with friends back home. 

Also use it with the kids at water parks, ocean and other outings.  I guess most of this can be done on the phone, but I much prefer giving the gopro to my 9 year old than my phone!  Apart from losing it, there isn't much chance the 9yr old will break the gopro!

If someone offered me a deal on the 7, I would probably go ahead and take it.  Don't actually need it, but like and use the product enough to be able to justify it to myself.

I have footage from Jober2c, Sani, Grape Escape (remember that one?) etc.  Probably what I also enjoy is listening to the soundtrack.  So I can queue five or six video and watch in the background - but they all have songs I enjoy as background.  So works as a playlist too...

One of my first rides in Colorado:

I've had about 5. Each time I don't end up using it much, sell it. Then I do something where I would use it. Then I get another. 

Rinse and repeat. 

I'm going to buy another. Will see if I can use it for work and claim tax back too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Damn these gadgets!
I have a GoPro and a DJI Osmo Pocket. 
They get used about once a year, maybe.

Yet, every time a new version is released I find myself neeeeeding that new one - thankfully I have managed to talk myself out of buying any more thus far.

And yes, the videos end up looking pretty lame and dull for most people.
Unless you're a YouTuber, a Vlogger or pretty jacked with video editing I'd say they're not really a good way to spend your money..... but have one anyway 

I used my hero 3 black on a few dives, its done a couple of mtb rides too but mostly everything is just too nauseating to watch.

What I do use it for quite a bit is making time lapses of random stuff. 

I also use it occasionally to make a youtube vid of a pen turning or similar.

Have a Garmin Virb Elite, use it on almost every road ride.. The only time I didn't have it on me, I got smacked by a car!!

Tom

Ha .... they were watching you and saw they could get away with it cos your camera was at home. Bustards

Have a Garmin Virb Elite, use it on almost every road ride.. The only time I didn't have it on me, I got smacked by a car!!

Tom

I see a couple for sale ranging from the 3 at R1500 to the 7 white at R3500, is the difference in model /years worth the extra cost for a first time owner of one of these devices /gadgets?

I see a couple for sale ranging from the 3 at R1500 to the 7 white at R3500, is the difference in model /years worth the extra cost for a first time owner of one of these devices /gadgets?

mmm tuff one, white is a really dumbed down version, fixed resolution and fps, 4:3 only but superview, non-removable battery...google all that....look for the Hero 2018 if you looking for a budget option, but if you can't, in-camera stabilisation of the 7W would make it a better choice.

3 is really old with no stabilisation...