How often do you really use your GoPro?

Markellis

Now all I need is to learn to surf, get a cheetah and a gorgeous young woman, overcome my fear of heights .....

Their marketing videos always does!

(I never get mine anywhere close to as cool, crisp or clear as that!)

From a Hero 7 Black point of view, not much that screams I must upgrade.

"Beyond Next Level"  .... marketing mumbo! :lol:

What is the Hero 9 going to be?

"Beyond Beyond Next Level"

"To infinity and beyond "

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now all I need is to learn to surf, get a cheetah and a gorgeous young woman, overcome my fear of heights .....

I'd settle for just getting a gorgeous young woman...

how do you edit the vids on your phone or tablet ?

actually what is the app to use on windows 10 ?

I don’t use my GoPro on every ride, but I use it sometimes on our Friday afternoon board meetings down Helderberg.  Sometimes I get some lekker footage following PhilipV down there for #FollowCamFriday.  I never hope that one of my friends crash but if they do you want it on camera. 

I also like using it in Jonkers when I put the chin piece on my Leatt helmet.  I’ve attached a GoPro bracket to the front of the chin piece and that gives you great stable footage even with a GoPro 5.  It still flattens out even the steepest sections of Status Quo and when you show it to someone that have never been down there it just looks to them like you are riding very slow on a bit of rocks.  Still, if you can follow someone down the trails and stay very close to their wheel you get nice footage.  This, together with what I have mentioned up top about your friends crashing, most of the time leads to you also crashing….  So, wheel sucking someone down the trails should be done at your own risk, behind someone that can actually ride his bike and who’s riding style and lines you know.

This weekend at the Jonkershoek Enduro, I could also use it to get an unofficial time for stage 3.  Something went a bit wrong there and apparently it took me 2h15min to get down.  My GoPro said I did it a bit quicker than that and I was able to calculate my stage 3 time using my GoPro.  Official time still says 2h15min but that’s fine.  I just need the unofficial time for bragging rights between my friends. 

It is also nice to go through your runs down the hill and try to see where you could have made some more time and maybe do a different line next time.  Almost like the pro’s do it, but not really like the pro’s do it, not even close.

PS. There is a long explanation for the 2h15m on stage 3 and it is not the fault of the timing system used.

how do you edit the vids on your phone or tablet ?

actually what is the app to use on windows 10 ?

For quick edits you can use the Quik app from GoPro.  If you want to do some really nice edits, I can recommend using DaVinci Resolve from Blackmagic Design.  They have a nice video stabilization tool that works great but you will have to crop your footage a bit if you use that.  Oh, and it is free!

Their marketing videos always does!

(I never get mine anywhere close to as cool, crisp or clear as that!)

From a Hero 7 Black point of view, not much that screams I must upgrade.

"Beyond Next Level" .... marketing mumbo! :lol:

What is the Hero 9 going to be?

"Beyond Beyond Next Level"

"To infinity and beyond "

For sure! I’ looking at the 7 now... The stabilization is the only thing that really interests me...

For sure! I’ looking at the 7 now... The stabilization is the only thing that really interests me...

The stabilization on the 5 is good, the stabilization on the 7 is better.

Is the stabilization on the 8 that much better than the 7... only if you believe in all that "beyond next level we want you to upgrade since or sales are down 93%" crap, so no.

All frame rates and all resolutions which the 7 can't do as I understand it so really only if you want super slo mo stabilised shots.

More and more companies get us to beta test their products.

I am very vulnerable to GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) - hifi, bicyles, cameras, kitchen appliances (although my bread machine turns out cheese and onion loaves that keep my offspring happy) but it must end ....

ooooo --- special offer you say?

Is the stabilization on the 8 that much better than the 7... only if you believe in all that "beyond next level we want you to upgrade since or sales are down 93%" crap, so no.

The GoPro 8 really ups the ante if you are a pro or semi pro videographer, for most weekend warriors the 5 Black is still plenty.

I bought a Garmin Virb. I liked the idea of the gps and speed tracking. I've used it on the wakeboard, bicycle, motorbike and paragliding.

But ultimately it's like most of the other toys, relegated to one of the cupboards in the spare-room. I keep it current with software updates etc, but it is mostly unused

I have the 5. I would like smoother videos. But like you/this thread says I don’t really need it that much.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got the Hero8 a week or so ago. Now the problem is that I can find the silicone cover and the lens/screen protectors for it.

Cape Union Mart does not have it yet and Take-a- Lot cant deliver before I go on leave. They dont have the originals in stock but thats no problem. Incredible doesnt have as well.

The issue is I will use it with the kids on the beach, pool, cycling etc. I need those two things before next week just to protect it a bit.

I can get it from GoPro online but the shipping is over 100 USD.

Anyone know where in Pretoria/Centurion I can go have a look for these things?

The other option is to get the dive housing, but I havent seen it yet in real life yet. Its on Take-a-lot and in stock to ship. Its also almost 1000 ZAR. The issue I have is that you dont have access to the screen to change the setting without opening it. What do you guys think?

I got the Hero8 a week or so ago. Now the problem is that I can find the silicone cover and the lens/screen protectors for it.

Cape Union Mart does not have it yet and Take-a- Lot cant deliver before I go on leave. They dont have the originals in stock but thats no problem. Incredible doesnt have as well.

The issue is I will use it with the kids on the beach, pool, cycling etc. I need those two things before next week just to protect it a bit.

I can get it from GoPro online but the shipping is over 100 USD.

Anyone know where in Pretoria/Centurion I can go have a look for these things?

The other option is to get the dive housing, but I havent seen it yet in real life yet. Its on Take-a-lot and in stock to ship. Its also almost 1000 ZAR. The issue I have is that you dont have access to the screen to change the setting without opening it. What do you guys think?

There should be a few different snap on “doors” that come with the housing. Mine for the 5 came with three and one of them is open at the back so I could use the screen. Not sure about the cover for the 8.