Managing exposure to air pollution while commuting by bicycle in Cape Town

ryanlenferna

Good day all,

I am Ryan Lenferna a B-Tech Industrial Design student at CPUT busy working on an exciting project relating to cycling and commuting in CAPE TOWN!

My project revolves around: How can product design help manage the exposure to air pollution while commuting by bicycle in Cape Town?

I would greatly appreciate it if you could take 2 minutes to fill in my survey below, thank you.

Also any additional input is always welcome,

Cheers,

Ryan

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/R6WLQLB

Done!

On a side note.. why not include all of RSA?

In order to contain the scope of my thesis I had to restrict it to Cape Town, where i will be conducting my primary research

Done.  

How long can a beard be before it interferes with the device?

Thank for for participating, Any kind of facial hair would interfere with a mask like solution. Current solutions available on the market require you to be clean shaven! Which is why the product I am developing will most likely veer away from anything that sits on the face!

Done

Beards are also a strong barrier to pollution 

Thank you, Valid point however debatable...Since the particles that actually affect your health the most are called PM2.5. These particles are so small some commercially available filters are not 100% effective at filtering it!

Thank You, Beards tend to interfere with an appropriate seal!

Chevron refinery has (had) a STRICT policy regarding facial hair on their site, specifically due to the way it would impact any breathing apparatus.

Chevron refinery has (had) a STRICT policy regarding facial hair on their site, specifically due to the way it would impact any breathing apparatus.

This is great insight thank you for this, nice to build a case on facts!

I commute (by bicycle) a short distance in Bellville, but also drive (by car) a lot during the day to project sites.

Each time you go over Tygerberg koppie the air polution is VISIBLE !!  :wacko:  :thumbdown:

If I dont commute my sinusses clogg up and I have to take meds to clear it up.  As soon as I start commuting I get a post-nasal drip for a day or two, then my sinusses clears up.

Maybe my commute in Bellville misses the worst of the air polution on the lower areas ....  But commuting actually clears my air ways.

This is great insight thank you for this, nice to build a case on facts!

Google : "breathing apparatus vs facial hair"  :thumbup: