The Munga 2019

Ramrod

Benky came out the singletracks first and slammed the brakes before the finishline so they can go over the line together.. he won in my eyes.

But I get what they were saying afterwards.. after 1000km of testing and pushing each other not one of them was able to pull away or break the other one and it felt unfair to both of them that an endurance race of this magnitude be decided on a 500m singletrack down to the finishline.

I disagree.

It's a race.

You race to the line,and the best man wins. They called the truce so far out I lost interest. Bainskloof ascent would have separated them and the final single track would not have made a difference.

Massive respect to both of them for the ride, but I think this was a bad idea.

Imagine a 2 man breakaway gets to the velodrome in roubaix and they shake hands and cross together?

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree.

It's a race.

You race to the line,and the best man wins. They called the truce so far out I lost interest. Bainskloof ascent would have separated them and the final single track would not have made a difference.

Imagine a 2 man breakaway gets to the velodrome in roubaix and they shake hands and cross together?

Yeah now that I slept on it, I agree with you.. I was thinking Benky came out the singletrack first, so in my eyes he won, but they decided at the top who would go down first between them, so that's also not correct.

If they went full out to the top of Bainskloof someone would've popped, that's what we wanted to see.

Sithembiso Masango has missed the turnoff before Ceres and is now off route. It’s one of the 3 places on the race route that people tend to take a short cut. Let’s see if the race director picks it up.

Sithembiso Masango has missed the turnoff before Ceres and is now off route. It’s one of the 3 places on the race route that people tend to take a short cut. Let’s see if the race director picks it up.

Aiiiii that is unfortunate!!! They have no choice but to DQ him if he doesn't go back..he's scoring a massive advantage over MW over that section!2a8770b904659e842867d17ae2be1a53.jpg

The 7 back markers behind the cut are now down to 6, still behind the cut and KB is now our last rider at Pampoenpoort. The stats for her are getting worse her pace dropped to 11.4kph which means she has 50 hours of riding left with 54 hours to do it in. I believe that unless you're at or passed Loxton you're not going to make it, coincidentally Nina Long was the last finisher in 2018 and she's been resting up at Loxton for 5 hours now.

Aiiiii that is unfortunate!!! They have no choice but to DQ him if he doesn't go back..he's scoring a massive advantage over MW over that section!2a8770b904659e842867d17ae2be1a53.jpg

Let’s see if they do. In the past they have let it slide without even giving the riders a time penalty.

After thinking about it...they need to change that last section to avoid a repeat of this. It id such an anti climax...i wont be shocked if the rules are changed for next year to state the obvious.....that there can be only one winner. Sure its in the spirit of sportsmanship and blah blah but its against the spirit of competition....its like the race was fixed. Id sommer DQ them both from the race for “outside assistance” for the part they held hands lol.

This is technically a race but at the same time it’s an endurance event of massive proportions. If these guys have diced and decided they couldn’t break each other then the decision to cross together should be respected. Deciding this race on a sprint is not the same as Roubaix. Anyone who is disappointed can start training now and sprint to the Munga 2021 win

Like others, i call BS on the “couldn't break each other”.

Someone would have if they went for it up Bain’s with the last fumes in the tank...mentally or physically.

Someone wins and someone is first of the losers. They know who won. Both of them will tell their friend over a glass that they actually won but “insert media stunt here”. Thats how it works if you enter a competition. If its just about the achievement of finishing a 1100km endurance ride in 45* heat...they can go do that on their own time...like some hubbers on here.

Like others, i call BS on the “couldn't break each other”.

Someone would have if they went for it up Bain’s with the last fumes in the tank...mentally or physically.

Someone wins and someone is first of the losers. They know who won. Both of them will tell their friend over a glass that they actually won but “insert media stunt here”. Thats how it works if you enter a competition. If its just about the achievement of finishing a 1100km endurance ride in 45* heat...they can go do that on their own time...like some hubbers on here.

You ever ridden 1076km on less than 2h sleep? You might not like it as a spectator but I can understand why they came to the arrangement.

And to an earlier point; arrangements finishing have been made in professional road racing as well. Just ask Vino

There where three of them actually that time round. Would have been 4 if he didn't have an untimely puncture ;)

I disagree.

It's a race.

Bingo!