The Munga 2019

Ramrod

I see those 5 and then one more that hasn't moved for 3 hours(so he is probably still ahead). When do they tell the riders behind that they scratched? Can't someone wake them up and tune them to get going to get ahead of it?

Cut dot is just an indication. They don't get scratched if the dot pass them

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes FOMO but I also know the pain out there.its beyond brutal.The guys that scratch is warriors---they lined up--they came to the race to try KUDOS for that.

I remember thinking after 2 or 3 hours in WTF this is insane,this is not mountainbiking.The 45deg and gailforce winds are beyond words.To have that finishers badge is something I will take to the grave as my biggest achievement ever.

To everyone out there I salute you.

The rules state you are not allowed to have anything like a kite etc to help you move....but what about an umbrella ( for sunburn purposes of course) that just happens to also catch some wind?

The ambiguities in the rules are where the loopholes reside????

~46*

FML

Like one of these?

I had seen these 3-4 times here - always jealous for the shade  :)

post-66463-0-92774300-1574941563_thumb.png

Hanno (Johannes) Smit just sent this pic on our whatsapp group. He just had a nice rest in Britstown and on his way now again..lying just outside the Top10 at the moment.

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2019-11-28 at 12.29.47.jpeg

Hats off.

At that temp all your fluids are warm and getting warm energy drink into your gutt is almost impossible. Don't know how they do it.

Hats off.

At that temp all your fluids are warm and getting warm energy drink into your gutt is almost impossible. Don't know how they do it.

I genuinely put tea in my water bottles on 100 milers and races like Munga if the temperature is that high.

Get your energy from food. 

Not sure if this has been posted, apologies if it has. Mikes solution to the heat.

https://mikewoolnough.blogspot.com/2019/10/riding-munga-be-sure-to-pack-your_15.html

Mike generally does his homework, what he gives away in age he makes up in being a 'slim okie'.

Hopefully nobody pisses him off by cheating this year - it wasn't nice to see him lose interest less than 100km from home last year.

I'm rooting for the ballie.

Not sure if this has been posted, apologies if it has. Mikes solution to the heat.

https://mikewoolnough.blogspot.com/2019/10/riding-munga-be-sure-to-pack-your_15.html

Mike generally does his homework, what he gives away in age he makes up in being a 'slim okie'.

Hopefully nobody pisses him off by cheating this year - it wasn't nice to see him lose interest less than 100km from home last year.

I'm rooting for the ballie.

brilliant !!!

brilliant !!!

Absolutely!!

I've often wondered what happened to this idea:

"I'm old enough to remember the canvas bags that people dangled from the bumpers of their cars and bakkies in the 70s in order to have cool drinking water"

Also I've wondered if a cotton T-shirt doesn't work better for cooling in these kinds of conditions exactly because they retain moisture for longer.

I often cycle with my front door key down my front (it's getting RUSTY now!) and on very hot days it's amazing how much cooler it gets from sweat evaporation.

GO MIKE!!

So looking at the race flow, it looks like Thinus is in a great (the best??) position at the moment. 2hr stop at WP6, and now putting the hammer down.

Benky let me in on a little secret yesterday.

His best mate is getting married on Saturday. He is the best man as his mate was for his wedding.

He needs ro finish and get to JHB in time for the wedding.

He said that if he sees that he cant make it, he will have no choice but to pull the plug.

Right now it looks like he fully intends on finishing and being on time for the wedding.

Edited by Vetseun