The Munga 2019

Ramrod

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have a picture of what bike Thinus is on? HT / Dual / Gravel? 

KB on a gravel bike!! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5ZS3tJHMKR/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Interesting that he seem to have opened up on the first of the two descents? Would think that is the place he was at the biggest disadvantage on the gravel bike.

Edit: seem to have stayed together on the gravel. Time to see who climbs better. 

Edited by jmt.row

My thumbsuck from the race flow.

Thinus has got this in the bag.

Benky is going to fall back and finish second 90 minutes behind

My thumbsuck from the race flow.

Thinus has got this in the bag.

Benky is going to fall back and finish second 90 minutes behind

Benky had a more recent powernap than Thinus. That might catch up to Thinus.

On the other hand, since Thinus caught Benky, they have been going at the faster pace of Thinus. That means Benky is busy doing exactly what he said he is not going to do..not riding his own race and doing what the other oke is doing. And that might catch him.

Edited by JohanDiv

Wonder if that Gravelbike will be an advantage from Tankwa Padstal to home it's all hard gravel and tar riding.

The real Tankwa will be harder on the Gravelbike.

Message just received from MK:

[08:49, 11/29/2019] : Gister was die hardste dag op my fiets. Ek het afstand verkeerd bereken en was in 49grade sonder water en mentally net broken omdat ek gedog het wp is om fie draai en toe is dit 30km aan. Ek het bitter swaar gekry en toe bietjie langer daar spandeer om te herstel. Voel nou weer stukke beter. Het nou my eerste stort van Woensdag af gehad. Gaan later weer aan beweeg.
[08:49, 11/29/2019] : Weer nou koeler maar sterk wind van voor

Benky had a more recent powernap than Thinus. That might catch up to Thinus.

On the other hand, since Thinus caught Benky, they have been going at the faster pace of Thinus. That means Benky is busy doing exactly what he said he is not going to do..not riding his own race and doing what the other oke is doing. And that might catch him.

And, having gone up and down die ou Wapad on a bicycle, I am sure  a gravel bike is not the perfect weapon for the decent, so maybe advantage TR.

But, as Jeannie Dreyer found out, you don't want to sprint race a chap with  bigger gearing to the finish. So maybe advantage KB.

ps. Also, signing as "Benky" rather than "Thinus Redelinghuys" at the checkpoints saves a few seconds. Marginal gains, my china.

Anyone have a picture of what bike Thinus is on? HT / Dual / Gravel? 

KB on a gravel bike!! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5ZS3tJHMKR/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Interesting that he seem to have opened up on the first of the two descents? Would think that is the place he was at the biggest disadvantage on the gravel bike.

Edit: seem to have stayed together on the gravel. Time to see who climbs better. 

I believe Thinus is on a dual sus (Sworks epic). That's what he rode to a 2:29 947, so the guy should have no trouble keeping up with Benky on the gravel sections!

Edit: Poor quality photo

post-45899-0-37378200-1575011126_thumb.jpg

Edited by RyanAW

And Benky takes the lead...for now.

Ja looks like Thinus is going to take a powernap now at WP9 while Benky carries on.

I have a feeling Benky is pushing for Tankwa Padstal. Have a bit of rest there, 45min powernap, and then the final 150km push to the finish.

Huge huge respect for Benky and Thinus! I know one guy doing it this year and he is fairly strong (or what I consider to be strong) and he currently sit on: 522.40km - close to 300km behind  :eek:

Was just about to ask the same thing about JS, wonder why she scratched.  I tried to stalk her on twitter to see if she said something but her profile is private  :ph34r:

She was doing so well in the race

From Janine,

Unfortunately I have had to make the decision to scratch. My left hand has become completely numb and I can't grip the handlebars anymore. It's the same side where I damaged the nerve last year so not worth risking further damage. Disappointed but I would rather have a working hand.

Who is Thinus (for those of us that are uninformed)?

(Apart from being a tough nut that gargles with peanut butter)

From Janine,

Unfortunately I have had to make the decision to scratch. My left hand has become completely numb and I can't grip the handlebars anymore. It's the same side where I damaged the nerve last year so not worth risking further damage. Disappointed but I would rather have a working hand.

That's such a shame