The Munga 2019

Ramrod

That hill is breaking Thinus now.. He is going at 4kmh. Benky looked stronger up that hill

But he's still bringing Kevin back, just a bit slower now

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked him. It was only a 34! The guy is a machine!

Wonder what chain ring he had on :) 42 or bigger??

I dont think an epic can fit a 42.

Big advantage on faster sections but over all speed is not super high. 

Meanwhile at the back of the field there are 5 riders behind the the cut 4 are on the move and KB resting up in Britstown. KB is a veteran of 2 Mungas in her first, riding with tackies she kept us enthralled as she kept going despite the fact that she had no chance of finishing in time, I think she got to about 800km when the race was cut. Last year she absolutely breezed through to a very competent finish, this year it looks like she is being tested to the limit. The one thing you can bet on is that she won't give up easily.

Hoping she makes it this year.  So admired her tenacity in her  first Munga. 

I wonder what is going through Benky's mind right now. Tankwa Padstal is coming up, he is in need of some rest and he can't be sure how far behind Thinus is. And I'm sure he is already thinking of the long drag up to Bo-Swaarmoed from the padstal before the descent into Ceres

When was this doping ban? Pity, if he wins it will be mentioned and over shadow. But hey, if you want to dope, then you must live with the consequences that come with being bust.

I have a zero tolerance approach to dopers, but having read both the hearing and appeal transcripts I believe that TR is one of those caught out by a system that is capable of punishing the innocent.

It appears that in August 2015 (as an amateur) he had an upper respiratory tract infection that was not responding to treatment. 

He could not see his Potch sports physician  and went to see a doctor in Pretoria. TR is a pharmacist and printed out the WADA banned list to take along to the doctor who prescribed an antibiotic which was prohibited for use "during the event". It was believed by him and the doctor that this meant on the day of the event.

It seems the course of antibiotics finished two days before the event and as such, he and the doctor believed that it was OK. Traces were found.

He applied for a TUE but (reading between the lines because the prescribing doctor was not his usual sports physician) the application was light in medical history (blood tests, lung function tests, etc.) and on what alternatives had been considered, it was refused. 

The hearing found that there was no attempt at gaining an advantage though doping, that the treatment offered no benefit other than to restore his normal function, that he had gone out of his way to make sure he was not doing anything illegal,  but "there was negligence in the prescribing of the Prohibited substance"(in competition)), etc, but strict liability applied. Due to  the extenuating circumstances he only got a one year ban.

Does he get a black mark ? Yes. Should there be a black mark next to the black mark ?  In this case, I think so.

Ps. I was rooting for Benky and will continue to do so.

Edited by eddy

Looks like the battle for third is heating up! Marco Martins left Sithembiso Masango behind in Sutherland

Edit: NVM, just a slow dot update

Edited by JohanDiv

I have a zero tolerance approach to dopers, but having read both the hearing and appeal transcripts I believe that TR is one of those caught out by a system that is capable of punishing the innocent.

It appears that in August 2015 (as an amateur) he had an upper respiratory tract infection that was not responding to treatment. 

He could not see his Potch sports physician  and went to see a doctor in Pretoria. TR is a pharmacist and printed out the WADA banned list to take along to the doctor who prescribed an antibiotic which was prohibited for use "during the event". It was believed by him and the doctor that this meant on the day of the event.

It seems the course of antibiotics finished two days before the event and as such, he and the doctor believed that it was OK. Traces were found.

He applied for a TUE but (reading between the lines because the prescribing doctor was not his usual sports physician) the application was light in medical history (blood tests, lung function tests, etc.) and on what alternatives had been considered, it was refused. 

The hearing found that there was no attempt at gaining an advantage though doping, that the treatment offered no benefit other than to restore his normal function, that he had gone out of his way to make sure he was not doing anything illegal,  but "there was negligence in the prescribing of the Prohibited substance"(in competition)), etc, but strict liability applied. Due to  the extenuating circumstances he only got a one year ban.

Does he get a black mark ? Yes. Should there be a black mark next to the black mark ?  In this case, I think so.

Thanks for the info. I also have a zero tolerance, I have been fighting for wins and podiums too many times against guys that have served to feel sorry for any of them. There will always be that thought in the back of my mind about would I have beaten him if he was clean or was he clean when he beat me or is he clean now after his ban or would I have held his wheel in the break if he was clean etc etc etc.

Looks like the battle for third is heating up! Marco Martins left Sithembiso Masango behind in Sutherland

Edit: NVM, just a slow dot update

Come on SM. Rooting for him to be on the podium. JN not too far behind.

this was the banned substance:

Prednisone is a glucocorticoid medication mostly used to suppress the immune system and decrease inflammation in conditions such as asthma, COPD, and rheumatologic diseases. It is also used to treat high blood calcium due to cancer and adrenal insufficiency along with other steroids. It is taken by mouth. Wikipedia

Not an antibiotic at all. I had an endless URTI last winter and the doc gave it to me. May just be my imagination, but I recall it made me feel so good i was able to do a decent ride on my MTB and shot up the hills...:-) I checked it out on WADA and it is banned "in competition". 

Thanks for the info. I also have a zero tolerance, I have been fighting for wins and podiums too many times against guys that have served to feel sorry for any of them. There will always be that thought in the back of my mind about would I have beaten him if he was clean or was he clean when he beat me or is he clean now after his ban or would I have held his wheel in the break if he was clean etc etc etc.

I fully accept that, but in this case, that thought in the back of my mind says that maybe, because the evidence supports it,  this is one of those guys who really was not looking for an advantage but was bust despite doing everything he thought reasonable to do to ensure he did the right thing.

ps. there are reports in the British papers today that British Athletics knew that their long distance athletes were on (un-banned) thyroid medication to "assist in recovery and weight loss". That may not be outside the letter of the law but is certainly outside the spirit.

I think (from the transcripts I scanned) is that TR was in the spirit of the law, even though he may have transgressed the letter.

EDIT : F@kkit, I can't believe I am arguing in favour of someone on the list....

Edited by eddy

Is Michael McDermott lying 9th now, the same Michael McDermott who won all three the Harrismith Mountain races I ran (and the 3 before and the 10 afterwards)?

He was so skraal that gravity could not get hold of him.

this was the banned substance:

Prednisone is a glucocorticoid medication mostly used to suppress the immune system and decrease inflammation in conditions such as asthma, COPD, and rheumatologic diseases. It is also used to treat high blood calcium due to cancer and adrenal insufficiency along with other steroids. It is taken by mouth. Wikipedia

Not an antibiotic at all. I had an endless URTI last winter and the doc gave it to me. May just be my imagination, but I recall it made me feel so good i was able to do a decent ride on my MTB and shot up the hills...:-) I checked it out on WADA and it is banned "in competition". 

Yes, and it was present in the Antibiotic he took. You are welcome to read the transcripts of the hearings and the findings of the panel, although you won't find them on Wikipedia.