The Munga 2019

Ramrod

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If she was scratched because she could not make cutoff, but is still able to ride on her own, will she be allowed to ride to the end, just to say she has done it, or do they remove you from the course?

Knowing Mads, she is bloody minded and determined as hell, she would want to ride to the end.

According to live feed video she is going to ride to the finish. In Ceres or just outside Ceres at the moment

So awesome rooting for complete strangers - that's one of the many things that makes this race truly special. 

The home of not so ordinary heroes

Still dream of doing this one year - it's a question most of us I am sure would love to know the answer too, but there's not easy way even to that starting line.

Well done to all the legends who made it this year and also a big thanks to all the guys with the updates when some of us couldn't quite keep up with all the goings on

So awesome rooting for complete strangers - that's one of the many things that makes this race truly special. 

The home of not so ordinary heroes

Still dream of doing this one year - it's a question most of us I am sure would love to know the answer too, but there's not easy way even to that starting line.

Well done to all the legends who made it this year and also a big thanks to all the guys with the updates when some of us couldn't quite keep up with all the goings on

If you have the passion for it - then it has to be done. You won't regret it - absolutely amazing event.

Awesome gesture from Benky to be there and well done to Danie.  I hope he is a hubber to see all the support.

And will be back next year for all the dot watching!

According to live feed video she is going to ride to the finish. In Ceres or just outside Ceres at the moment

Mads may have missed the cut, but she's gonna ride to the finish all the same - buddy of mine and munganite from last year (Theunis) just went out to cheer them on.

78086059_2862325070485949_11621840783220

GO MADS GO!!!!

Well done to all those who finished. Actually well done for those who even started because the training and preparation alone but have been an incredible sacrifice. I went through to Ceres on Friday evening on the motorbike to cheer Thinus and Kevin home and I got to witness first-hand what these guys looked like and what they had to endure those last 40km's of this event. The hurt never let up at all, they had a block headwind almost all the way to the top of Baainskloof. To say they were absolutely broken is an epic understatement. They could barely ride in a straight line from shear fatigue and yet they still found the energy to crack a smile and answer silly questions.

As I posted on my FB feed, I'm always fascinated by these ultra-endurance events and the media recognition that they never receive. I rode behind them most of the way from Ceres and there was not a single person on the side of the road to cheer them on, not one. No glory or fanfare or bus parades and presidential visits for these guys. Their reward comes from overcoming the insane odds, multiple days of searing heat through the Karoo, beating the demons of their mind, pushing their broken bodies way beyond what any normal person would ever think humanly possible and crossing that finish line having achieved what they set out to do.

I have huge respect for both Kevin & Thinus for winning (and the others for getting home today). You are indeed both winners in a sense far greater than crossing that finish line together. Seeing Keving drop down the other side of Baainskloof in the dark and cold with his arms outstretched like and eagle taking it all in brought tears to my eyes. You guys were in the arena and to you and you alone goes the glory, ****the naysayers.

And with that I realize why these events don't get the glory they deserve, because "normal" people just simply cannot grasp the magnitude of what to finish and event like this entails so they don't bother delving deeper into it.

Roll on Munga 2020.

Edited by BuffsVintageBikes

And with that I realize why these events don't get the glory they deserve, because "normal" people just simply cannot grasp the magnitude of what to finish and event like this entails so they don't bother delving deeper into it.

Roll on Munga 2020.

Very true - the only glory in these is for yourself and your small crew of mates, supporters, and fellow riders. Buddy of mine used to video EU events and reckoned the media just cannot grasp events which are not mainstream or done for big prize money or charity.

TCR got a glimmer of well earned recognition this year because it joined the ranks of ultra events where a female ride have won overall. Note though - buddy and fellow Munganite Nico Coetzee got not one iota of media or other recognition in 2018 for being the first ever South African rider to finish a solo TCR.

Edited by walkerr