The Munga 2019

Ramrod

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, you're all wrong.

You're trying to pass off your opinion as fact. It isn't. TDFN has his opinion, SwissVan is telling him it's wrong. Others like the Cumbaya, others are telling other they 'HAVE' to respect the decision by the riders.... BOLLOCKS!

It's opinion after opinion and not one is 'correct', so agree to disagree and move on. 

None of you are right, so stop trying to force each other to come around to your way of seeing the match fixing

You're wrong...  :devil:

Yawn...

This thread is filled with more complaining and moaning than with actual quality content.

If I am a prospective Munga participant and I have to read through all this 'opinions' I'll just fall over and die.

Then again, reading through this thread will be excellent mental prep for the race.

You are all wrong! You are all right!

Actually, you're all wrong.

You're trying to pass off your opinion as fact. It isn't. TDFN has his opinion, SwissVan is telling him it's wrong. Others like the Cumbaya, others are telling other they 'HAVE' to respect the decision by the riders.... BOLLOCKS!

It's opinion after opinion and not one is 'correct', so agree to disagree and move on. 

None of you are right, so stop trying to force each other to come around to your way of seeing the match fixing

On thehub there are never any facts. Even "facts" can be interpreted...

You're exactly guilty in that very post of all the things you're pointing out :-)

In theory everybody should start their sentences with "I think" or "In my opinion" etc but who has time for all that when we're bickering about nonsense????

Everybody just step away from the keyboards...

Lots of Post Munga Dot Withdrawal Syndrome in the house. 

Stuffing up what has been an uplifting thread showcasing the triumph of the human spirit

Peace  :thumbup:

Having read a lot of comments on the opinions of the race (and the decision to share the 1st spot) and seems that it ranges from:

• this is what is wrong in the world, the death of the race's future, pandering to the new age we all good, waste of time after those that followed it invested so much time and emotions on who will win and how close it will be...

• This was a true reflection of sportmanship, when the two riders found their inner selfs there on the road and recognised their fellow participant more as a brother than someone you need to beat in the ground, something the world needs more of to heal a divisive world.

For me, it sometimes feel like some hubber here make their point, and then again and then again (or either side of the argument), and not sure again what the purpose is to repeat sometimes the same point over and over. 

For me, I liked how it ended (but that is based on my outlook to life), and I will continue to watch and be excited about the Munga, from the first person over the line till the last (irrespective if they did it before or after the cut-off).  As for me the Munga is a race which tests the riders mental strength, going into deep corners of their mind, lay bare their own failings and insecurities (and with a pinch of luck) overcome it all and roll over the line.  

I have a bit of experience in Audax events, my best effort being the 400km event. I achieved a victory over myself completing that. 

I shudder at PBP, LEL, Munga, RAAM, Everesting, but am deeply intrigued by it. I'm not ready for such an event, yet!! Since these type of events its mostly a race with yourself.  What can you achieve what you originally thought impossible?

I think that is why we follow the Munga, that is the main connection, admiration.

All that tried are winners, finishers even more so.  They won against themselves, especially the 1st timers.

That is the how you "race" the Munga.  That's why I have no problems if there are shared winners.

A change of recent topic...but possibly asked before?

How technical is The Munga? I.e. if you know bugger all about MTB-ing, how tricky are the worst bits?

I'm a roadie not really a MTBer at all. There were very few stretches on the 2018 route that I struggled on from a technical standpoint. Those that were trickier, I ended up quite enjoying:

• there were some stretches with long patches of deep sand. In the dark of the night, suddenly hitting one of those proved quite entertaining (and sent me over the bars on one occasion). Ultimately though, I started to smile at the fun of them
  • into Sutherland were a couple of short and rocky descents that had my backside twitching. Also a big descent in the Tankwa Karoo stretch on loose rocks saw me battling.
  • the very last bit into Doolhof in the pouring rain saw me walking/slithering down and narrowly avoiding crossing the line on my @ss.

Those aside though, it's mostly gravel with some ferocious corrugations in places.

Edited by walkerr

A change of recent topic...but possibly asked before?

How technical is The Munga? I.e. if you know bugger all about MTB-ing, how tricky are the worst bits?

My roadie friend decided 3 months before last years munga to do it with no mtb knowledge. He crashed more than 10 times

There are some knarly technical sections that avg mtbers will walk. 

You will be doing 25km/hr and then hit a deep sand patch and stop dead. No skill, you fall

There was also some knarly downhills. You hands hurt holding the brakes

If you go in with no skill, you will just take longer to finish but can be done

Incredible - Well done. What an achievement

So got my 34 medal. All contact points are still sore. Been catching sleep that I didn't get in the race.

The toughest race on Earth. cf492bf7609b74b0bbdec8ef91e4b985.jpg

If reading this thread is enough to kill you, I suspect that the Munga may not be for you.

Yawn...

This thread is filled with more complaining and moaning than with actual quality content.

If I am a prospective Munga participant and I have to read through all this 'opinions' I'll just fall over and die.

Then again, reading through this thread will be excellent mental prep for the race.

You are all wrong! You are all right!