The Munga 2019

Ramrod

i was lucky. after full service and check discovered my bb was shot, my bike was on the stand 1 hour before start waiting for new bb.

I remember you. We chatted in reception. You were waiting for the same bike mechanic that was bringing me my HR strap.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember you. We chatted in reception. You were waiting for the same bike mechanic that was bringing me my HR strap.

hahahaha. well the bb is still going strong.....

WOW this is interesting. Going to google it. Keen to read up and see why/how it happens.

corrugation corrugation oh and some more..... so many articles and you-tube explaining. called cyclist palsy. #itisreal. 

if you did the 6,8 or 10 our mini then take the piece past rugani think it is 8km long and do repeats on  that for say 12 hours and then have no food only water, add in 45+ heat and a dash of headwind both ways and I am sure you can join in the hands numb brigade.... :)

WOW this is interesting. Going to google it. Keen to read up and see why/how it happens.

The fingernail thing seems to be related to physical depletion - typical longer durations in days (time I had it was after 9 days), but I have heard about it on shorter but intensive events. You push your body so hard that it diverts it's effort away from less essential things like growing nails - which you then see later on as that piece grows out. Bit like the rings in tree bark.

Edited by walkerr

corrugation corrugation oh and some more..... so many articles and you-tube explaining. called cyclist palsy. #itisreal. 

if you did the 6,8 or 10 our mini then take the piece past rugani think it is 8km long and do repeats on  that for say 12 hours and then have no food only water, add in 45+ heat and a dash of headwind both ways and I am sure you can join in the hands numb brigade.... :)

The fingernail thing seems to be related to physical depletion - typical longer durations in days (time I had it was after 9 days), but I have heard about it on shorter but intensive events. You push your body so hard that it diverts it's effort away from less essential things like growing nails - which you then see later on as that piece grows out. Bit like the rings in tree bark.

Some guys leave epic stickers on their bikes, some guys have ironman tattoos, you guys have lines on your finger nails. That is hardcore!!!!!!

Some guys leave epic stickers on their bikes, some guys have ironman tattoos, you guys have lines on your finger nails. That is hardcore!!!!!!

My buddy instantly sent me a photo when his started to grow out after he did TCR - he was so thrilled to have earned those stripes .... :)

That is badass 

anyone else still has a dead hand or cycling palsy as it is called

Mine lasted 3 months

Not good news to me.   It really constricts my ability to type....  and the pay me to do that .... amongst other things  :whistling:

Just a note of thanks. Awesome to see it from the outside

I scratched @875km WP9 (LR). My lezyne read 51 max and 8 min. Rode with mady for a long time, we even shared a balcony at 1 am in Fraserburg. ask her about the space blanket. (iron Lady)

https://www.strava.com/activities/2920374782/analysis

the race at the front is far different than the race at the back.

WP, RV, Conditions temperature etc etc.

Am I sad of 875km? NO. you have to ride it to understand it.

Could I finish, Yes, in the cut off No

Did I want to finish? Hell yea!

Was it safe for me to finish? No

There comes a moment when you know.

you can not explain it,

you can not understand it,

you can only accept it.

It is a week later, and I can only count to 4 on my toes :) and 3 in my hands.

I owe 199km in 2020 and debts must be paid in full.

Well done all that started.....

I am glad I could ride with you. Especially that hectic 4 x 4 route  at 3h00 in the morning has its own challenges.  Just good to have company. We made a good team

Ha ha I could not believe that a space blanket actually works.  I honestly were riding mine with on endurance ride because I was told to.  It kept me warm like a real blanket!!! 

I rode with you the last km and must be honest , although I lost my riding buddy I honestly thought it is the best decision.  Sometimes the call to make is not a nice one, but you can now go back next year and use the lessons we learned.  You are a strong and disciplined rider.  There is no doubt in my mind that you could have finished if you were medically 100%

Go back next year and go finish for both of us :)

Edited by Mads

So I saw an acquaintance of mine do the Munga (and finish it) then this weekend that past he went and did the Desert Dash. 

Is it just me or is that some next level crazy? 

You're on a whole thread of crazy here .... your bud def qualifies

Not good news to me.   It really constricts my ability to type....  and the pay me to do that .... amongst other things  :whistling:

Do you also have dumb hands?

Bloody dump them against things and it hurts like hell.Just because you dont have normal sensation in your hands you are clumsy.

Do you also have dumb hands?

Bloody dump them against things and it hurts like hell.Just because you dont have normal sensation in your hands you are clumsy.

My right hand.  and the 3 fingers from the pinky is clumsy and stupid. :lol:   

My right hand.  and the 3 fingers from the pinky is clumsy and stupid. :lol:   

so left hand except for pinky. and right hand pinky and ring finger all monkey paw...

all my toes aswell.

sux to type......

I am glad I could ride with you. Especially that hectic 4 x 4 route  at 3h00 in the morning has its own challenges.  Just good to have company. We made a good team

Ha ha I could not believe that a space blanket actually works.  I honestly were riding mine with on endurance ride because I was told to.  It kept me warm like a real blanket!!! 

I rode with you the last km and must be honest , although I lost my riding buddy I honestly thought it is the best decision.  Sometimes the call to make is not a nice one, but you can now go back next year and use the lessons we learned.  You are a strong and disciplined rider.  There is no doubt in my mind that you could have finished if you were medically 100%

Go back next year and go finish for both of us :)

sure but am also sure will see you on the line........anyway seeing yu in a few down in CT :)