[Event] Eroica South Africa & NOVA Eroica

Stan Engelbrecht

2 discounted entry tickets and 3 nights (13th to 16th) bed & breakfast accommodation 750m from the start available. Please PM for further details.

OH NO.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys. I've entered and am hoping to do my first Eroica on my '82 Peugeot Classique this year. Does anyone know whether there is bike transport available from Gauteng ?

Hi Danie. I hope you've found a ride to Eroica for your bike? 

Hi all. Looking forward to seeing you in Montagu! I've made a few changes to the routes, just to keep things fresh and interesting. Check out the event page above... and let me know if you have any questions.

Speaking as a veteran of one eroica nova and that one incomplete because I kuiered too long at the buffet smorgasbord refreshment station and so didn'thave the resolve to do the 20k appendix that made it a nova, this is a fantastic event for modern gravel bike idiots like me.

A weekend in Montagu, a beautiful, tough and safe looong ride with 5 star catered refreshment stops, lots of old relics (and some vintage bikes too) doing ridiculous distances on anorexic tyres, small cassettes and bad brakes ....

Can't wait.

Hi Wayne. I hope you've made a plan with that modern group? Or did you enter NOVA?

Plan to last minute it and cheat by riding my 1987 master with a modern gruppo

IMO, this is the best event of the year. venturing out into the middle of the desert on my two wheels is magical. and as Mamil says, the catering is stellar. and some high speed descents on the way after the gravel ends

• 3 weeks later...

well, at least we can rest assured that there will be no bunch shenanigans... a peleton on a Karoo dirt road would be something to behold mind...

I see Eroica posted a note saying that they will not be sending any representatives from Italy this year because of Corona worries. I think that is a good thing, and I think there will be fewer internationals this time around.

Still, I hope for a good field of locals and some interesting bikes. This far I have found at least 1 new bike brand every year that I have never seen before. May that continue.

I serviced our bikes today and all is ready. Plenty excited. Really need a break from the city too, and a lonely dirt road is just the medicine for my soul.

Life In The Times Of Cholera COVID19

(With apologies to Gabriel Garcia Marques)

Friday 13 March – What a great thing I’m not superstitious!

This year Eroica SA started with the official dinner on the night before the ride, rather than afterwards. If at all possible, it was even more jovial than usual, perhaps because nobody had sore legs and backsides?

Nobody came from Italy this year and very few internationals showed up. Of course, at the dinner table, we ended up across from two young photographers, one from Italy and the other from France. Everyone laughed about not shaking hands, and they both hastened to explain that they live in Johannesburg …….. so we could be friends after all. (The Cape Epic was cancelled while we were driving to Montagu and none of us knew that a country wide COVID19 related lock-down would happen a day later.)

Perhaps 2020 will be the year that Eroica South Africa “grew up” as it was run without its’ Italian parent looking over its’ shoulder? The turnout was fantastic with several classics clubs that came all the way from Durban and Port Elisabeth.

post-17716-0-25702300-1584316875_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-00577000-1584317501_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR