[Event] Eroica South Africa & NOVA Eroica

Stan Engelbrecht

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does one ride in a circle and have a headwind 100% of the time? And how does one ride around and have what seems like and uphill all the way? It's a mystery

As much as I despise headwinds, what a lekker event. Kudos to Eroica and Montagu. Those backroads are a thing of stark beauty. And suffering...

Luckily, I'd figured out my 'all-day-pace' and apart from Ouberg Pass, where my all-day-pace would have seen gravity winning by a fair margin, I stuck to it.

The rollers after the pass were high-speed affairs, and I saw 60+kmh more than a few times. 43c tubeless FTW I tell you! but like always, to go down, you also have to go up. 2000m on the day was a big ask for my spindly legs - must get round to those squats!

Following a brief respite from the climbing, 40km of a headwind grind up a constant grade was not-so-easily despatched... And once that was done, there was (wait for it) more climbing, this time on the timed Strava segment - it seems we can escape Corona out in the Karoo, but not Strava... No matter, I ignored it as I traded places with a fellow sufferer with a pace that sometimes crept into double digits!

I won't lie - the downhill Strava segment was welcomed, but into the stiffening afternoon headwind, it wasn't a stellar accomplishment.

The rest stops were oh-so-welcome and the gees was fantastic. The first tar pass was welcome for two reasons... speeds went up and the cooling wind was great. If the first was good, the second's sweeping and swooping hairpins were a treat.

Last time out, the Castle I drank repeated on me for 40km back to Montagu. And it did the same again this time. I managed to stave these off my chasing it away with a glorious pomegranate GnT at Groenland.

Being forced into an Eroica-rearguard by my all-day-pace, I rode most of the way alone. It was a good day. Long stretches with nothing save the crunch of Panaracers on gravel are my idea of a good day. And Saturday delivered in spades.

I urge anyone and everyone with a gravel bike or an old steel classic to get out to Eroica. Support the event and marvel at the awesomeness of those backroads.

post-59317-0-22469700-1584348947_thumb.jpg

Edited by lechatnoir

Did the gravel bike ride and thoroughly enjoyed the event There was a chilled and relaxed vibe from the start right to the finish .Whether you have a vintage  bike or a gravel bike  I can strongly recommend this event .Judging by the number of gravel bikes who participated this year , compared to last year , I   think  that the event is going to increase in popularity. To the the riders who participated in  the classic 135 km  ,"Well done" The modern gravel bikes have 11 speed gear ratios which make it  easier to traverse  Ouberg pass compared to   the vintage bikes with their "old six speed " clusters .Make no mistake , even with a 24 X 32 gear ratio on my gravel bike it was  hard work  to climb the pass. 

• 10 months later...

Eroica South Africa 2021

Hello friends. I’ve been getting so many messages from you asking about the possibility of an Eroica South Africa 2021. Yes, we have been planning an Eroica for this year, but of course with the current situation it has been very difficult to finalise anything. Thank you for your patience and understanding until now.

The good news is we have settled on 24 April 2021 for our next adventure. We are committed to this date, however we have to be realistic and prepared to be flexible considering government regulations and health considerations. We hope that it won’t, but if our date moves of course you will be the first to know. 

Entries will open mid-February. We’ll be in touch to confirm the date.

Considering the pandemic we also have to be mindful of how we run Eroica South Africa 2021. We have some ideas to change the event in such a way that we all have the opportunity to practice as much social distancing as makes us all feel comfortable. The safety of our Eroica community is of utmost importance to us, and so is the safety of the people of Montagu who we have to work closely with. 

With all these considerations we still want to make Eroica South Africa 2021 an unforgettable one. We will be avoiding big group gatherings and the normal mass start. But for this year we want to focus on giving participants the opportunity to spend the day out on their bikes with close friends and family, and structuring the riding in such a way that you can choose on the day how far and wide you’d like to explore. We’re looking at it as a choose-your-own-adventure type of day, with pick-up spots for picnic-style food packs. This way each rider or group can choose where they spend some time enjoying their food and drinks along their route. Each rider will have a map with routes and distances clearly laid out, food pick-up points clearly marked, and lots of potential picnic spots indicated. As always there will be great emphasis on good, fresh local food and refreshments, and of course our planned routes will be filled with beautiful views and adventurous detours. We will make up for everything we’re giving up because of COVID-19 by making every other aspect of the event even better. 

The NOVA component will still have a race aspect this year, with timed Strava race-sections, but the distance will be a bit shorter, with more technical sections. Please stay tuned.

Let’s work together to make Eroica South Africa 2021 the best one yet, even in the face of the global challenge we’re enduring. We’ll be in touch soon with more details on our Eroica South Africa 2021 adventure!

Stan Engelbrecht

Director of Eroica South Africa

Good news - and something to start training for! I REALLY need a bit of an escape from the reality of the past year! It should be easy to social distance. We used to ride as a family & friends group (Team Pain or Shine) anyway, but I will miss the extremely social gatherings before and after.

Great news! Really looking forward to it, whatever format it takes. Just as long as we can get out on our trusty old steeds in that incredible countryside.

Great news! Really looking forward to it, whatever format it takes. Just as long as we can get out on our trusty old steeds in that incredible countryside.

When they say "family and friends groups" you guys come to mind!  :thumbup:

I'm really hoping this happens, it was the hilight of 2020 for me. Okay, I realise that doesn't say much considering the year we had but it was certainly one of, if not THE BEST event I have ever attended :clap: