HowardSteele

Bitten on the bike  

207 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you hubbers have been bitten or stung by one of the following critters

• Bee
    • wasp
    • Blind-fly
    • Bee-fly
    • Mozzie
    • Tick
    • Spider
    • Scorpion
    • Snake
    • Dog
    • Other..please leave a account in the comments.

Maybe add plants to the list. 

Here in Belgium there's some kind of stinging nettle. Get a good brush of it across your leg or face and you're going to be in agony for a solid while. Burns like hell. 

We have quite a couple of stinging weeds/plants  out here as well...on the Tokai /Constaiberg we have the Notobubon galbanum, commonly called the blister bush or hog's fennel, is a South African plant that is best known for its ability to cause painful blistering after contact. In Afrikaans this plant species is known as bergseldery (i.e., "mountain celery").[3]

touching it can cause severe blistering particularly if the irritant chemicals are exposed to sunlight (phytophotodermatitis).[4]

post-39899-0-83282100-1568023604_thumb.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the worst yet has been the highland midge, picture a swarm of mini sized mosquito like midges that leave lovely itchy red bumps. And when I saw swarm I mean millions of the little buggers

maxresdefault.jpg

Memories of lots of  time spent in Scotland as a child. Not pleasant those things.

Here in Belgium there's some kind of stinging nettle. Get a good brush of it across your leg or face and you're going to be in agony for a solid while. Burns like hell.

Yup.. Same here... Running on small roads you sometimes have to step off the road onto the side and straight into a stingy nettle...torture!

Survived an Egyptian goose attack on Friday.

I had this happen when I got between mom and chick. Pecked my helmet, attacked my bike but didn't get me.  Funny now, sh@t myself at the time as I was going over a plank bridge

Yup.. Same here... Running on small roads you sometimes have to step off the road onto the side and straight into a stingy nettle...torture!

Did you know that the stinging nettle is edible?

https://thethingswellmake.com/stinging-nettle-recipes-20-surprising-things-make-nettles/

Whenever I encounter them, often in the Darling / Philadelphia area in spring, I pick a few bags full to take home. Use gloves of course, Once you have poured boiling water over them, they don't sting anymore. We make a delicious pesto with olive oil and pine nuts from it. Pick lots, because, like spinach, you need lots to end up with a little.

Edited by DJR

https://thethingswellmake.com/stinging-nettle-recipes-20-surprising-things-make-nettles/

Whenever I encounter them, often in the Darling / Philadelphia area in spring, I pick a few bags full to take home. Use gloves of course, Once you have poured boiling water over them, they don't sting anymore. We make a delicious pesto with olive oil and pine nuts from it. Pick lots, because, like spinach, you need lots to end up with a little.

Fun fact...After seaweed... Nettle soup was the second biggest staple during the potato famine

we'll start a new thread bikers biting back LOL.

As kids we called them brannekles  I suppose a corruption of the dutch Brandnetel.

Edited by HowardSteele

Apparently, there's even a stinging nettle eating competition in the UK, but they eat it raw! 

https://matadornetwork.com/read/england-stinging-nettle-eating-competition/

Time to step up your game, DJR. 

I got tagged by a skaap brak in May of last year. It tore a gaping 5cm gash in my lower leg just about to the bone. Since then, I hate dogs. (this being the second time I got bit).

not a fan anymore.

Then as for those pesky bees by the top gate crossing over the old corridor from Contermans to Meerendal, I got tagged twice. bastards.

Inhaled and swallowed and number of flying insects, figured its better than tasting them

The worst is when they spread their legs on the way down and got to cough splutter and swallow