HowardSteele

Bitten on the bike  

207 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you hubbers have been bitten or stung by one of the following critters

• Bee
    • wasp
    • Blind-fly
    • Bee-fly
    • Mozzie
    • Tick
    • Spider
    • Scorpion
    • Snake
    • Dog
    • Other..please leave a account in the comments.

.Posted Today, 18:34

So I backchecked to get the date  of the incident coincidentally it was the 09/09/2015 exactly 4 years ago

Riding on my own  on the section just after you cross Firgrove way heading towards Tokai. I saw a strange black shape to the side of the path at the end of my blurry vision...very black about  30cm high and  looked like a black thick stem with  white ring  and bulborous top ..it disappeared as I got closer ,when I passed the spot I caught a glimpse of movement to the right and  I got hit on the forearm I jerked my arm away and had two very shallow puncture marks about 1cm apart, the blood that ran from the two  shallow puncture points seemed to be thinned down. I retraced my route no branches sticks or trees close enough to touch me  no mysterious black plants...the path narrowed at that point the ground rose up at that point towards a boundary wall. 

no horrific reaction to the bite slight redness and a bit of peeling ,it seems I was far enough out of reach just to get pricked.

.After some research it seems that the bit of greenbelt just after Firgrove way is one the last places  Rinkhals have been encountered in the Southern  subs  

who says biking the greenbelt is boring

H

Pamela Martha Focker!

teri-polo-as-amela-byrnes-focker-2.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I backchecked to get the date  of the incident coincidentally it was the 09/09/2015 exactly 4 years ago

Riding on my own  on the section just after you cross Firgrove way heading towards Tokai. I saw a strange black shape to the side of the path at the end of my blurry vision...very black about  30cm high and  looked like a black thick stem with  white ring  and bulborous top ..it disappeared as I got closer ,when I passed the spot I caught a glimpse of movement to the right and  I got hit on the forearm I jerked my arm away and had two very shallow puncture marks about 1cm apart, the blood that ran from the two  shallow puncture points seemed to be thinned down. I retraced my route no branches sticks or trees close enough to touch me  no mysterious black plants...the path narrowed at that point the ground rose up at that point towards a boundary wall. 

no horrific reaction to the bite slight redness and a bit of peeling ,it seems I was far enough out of reach just to get pricked.

.After some research it seems that the bit of greenbelt just after Firgrove way is one the last places  Rinkhals have been encountered in the Southern  subs  

H

Most likely a dry bite. Damn!!

H

ek vrek net daar aan 'n senuwee ineenstorting al was dit 'n molslang!

Bee, ticks & horse flies. Last ones are the worst 'cos they just hover and hover and I fkn hate them so much. At least ticks you can get off you. 

Hoogekraal & flies. Joh. No fanks.

Dogs, or at least their *****ng owners are the worst, they hover and they get all shirty and abusive when you kick Fido in the chops and then they want to call the SADF/Metros and their whole family when you grab them and shake them a bit.......

Dogs, or at least their *****ng owners are the worst, they hover and they get all shirty and abusive when you kick Fido in the chops and then they want to call the SADF/Metros and their whole family when you grab them and shake them a bit.......

Had a few encounters with dogs on table mountain. Owners dont give a damn. After taking care of the dog, ask the owner if they have a permit to walk their dog their and offer to call the rangers. They will quickly disappear.

That doesn't look very aero...

Ja but with a muggie in the left nostril and a steekvlieg in your right ear the balance of your bike is already compromised and the tyres gonna loop off skeef, ek sê. So, die kopdoekie bly!

I had two very shallow puncture marks about 1cm apart, the blood that ran from the two  shallow puncture points seemed to be thinned down.

H

Like this ?

post-50-0-32730300-1568056337_thumb.jpeg

Like this ?

I had a pic of the bite but can't seem to find it mine didn't bleed as much as that there was more clear fluid than blood...Is this your bite where and when did it happen.?

ek vrek net daar aan 'n senuwee ineenstorting al was dit 'n molslang!

Lol...This time of year we get quite a few snakes coming out ...and we see Cobras,mole snake and puffies in the tokai lower park and on the jeep tracks on the Tokai trails...The little TabakRolletjie's were out on Friday i had to stop twice to help them across the road.

post-39899-0-62110400-1568098083_thumb.jpg

post-39899-0-94373300-1568098095_thumb.jpg

Quite interesting it didnt spray you with venom on your initial approach, or did it?

https://snake-facts.weebly.com/rinkhals.html

some interesting points

The fact that it was reared up even before i got there suggests someone might actually have passed just ahead of me without even seeing it .it then tried to escape but must have felt trapped between the wall and the moving bike as i passed. 

Last summer coming down the berg we found a young cobra on level about a 1m long that had been ridden over and was  writing about in a sorry state ..we caught up the the mtbiker aways in front of us and told them they had just ridden over a cobra..she were blissfully unaware until  we told her.

Edited by HowardSteele

The fact that it was reared up even before i got there suggests someone might actually have passed just ahead of me without even seeing it .it then tried to escape but must have felt trapped between the wall and the moving bike as i passed. 

Last summer coming down the berg we found a young cobra on level about a 1m long that had been ridden over and was  writing about in a sorry state ..we caught up the the mtbiker aways in front of us and told them they had just ridden over a cobra..she were blissfully unaware until  we told her.

That is possible yes.

I came across what I can guess was a cobra in tokai I think last year. I exited boomslang trail and took the jeep track to go to vasybyt/dh3. Somewhere along the jeep track I saw what I can only guess was a cobra. Was a brownish colour, its tail was pass the middle section of the jeeptrack and its head was already in the bush. I saw it well before I reached and stopped and waited for it to disappear.

This app is really good..it is really important to be able to identify a snake if bitten and just to familiarize yourselves with the snakes in your area. It also has a host of other really good features...first aid..medical etc etc...take a snap submit pic and your will get a response for ID (if you can't identify it off the app.)

African snakebite institute

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.app.p4397JF

Edited by Gen