Ironman 70.3 Durban 2021

shaper

How are the water temps swimming there? Would you need a wetsuit yet? 

Not yet and plenty general public swim without a wetsuit

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just entered and it will be my first my first triathalon.

Im a failry decent runner, did a marathon last year, and can do argus in 3h20

The swim is my weakness, im a strong swimmer but not fast.

My main concern is the swim.  Is open water swimming really that much tougher than the pool?

My goal is to fiinish. i dont want to crawl over the line but i also dont need to race.  So i need a good training programme for the above goals.

I have 15 weeks to get fit.

Any advice for a noob.

Team Tissink. Great for beginner and advanced training.

Has the bike route changed since the M4 washed away in December last year just after Umhlanga?

From what I understand, the storm-damaged section of road is expected to be fixed by end-April.

The Durban Ultra event is taking place this Sunday on similar route & the cycle has been changed to a 3-lap course, turning on the M4 at/near where it's damaged.

• 2 weeks later...

All those training for Durban 70.3, I really hope they do not cancel or postpone this race. All the training I have dedicated to this race as well as the costs to enter - the Corona Virus had better be sorted out by then.

I see IM has said that if a race is cancelled, we will be entered into next year and if postponed, we will get entered into the new date.

I do not wish to even think of these cases.

From a purely selfish perspective I'm kinda hoping it gets cancelled or postponed.

Crashed my MTB 10 weeks ago and stuffed my shoulder so I have done absolutely no swim training and it's not looking like I'm going to be able to start training very soon either. I'm a fairly weak swimmer as it is so I'm getting properly nervous about being sufficiently prepared  :unsure:

A lot can happen between now and June, so keep on with the training and not worry about things you cannot control.

Rumour is that it is going to be postponed to 27 September. Proposal has been submitted to municipality, now awaiting feedback

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah June is very far away, so I wouldn't stress just yet. Keep training as if it's happening.

Gonna be a bit hard doing any swimming or running in the next 3 weeks. At least my bike leg is going to be amazing with all the indoor training I am getting in now. Hoping to hear it is postponed soon. 

Gonna be a bit hard doing any swimming or running in the next 3 weeks. At least my bike leg is going to be amazing with all the indoor training I am getting in now. Hoping to hear it is postponed soon. 

Posted this on Give it a Tri thread this morning

With lock down about to happen and not knowing how to keep your training going whilst house bound.  I have put together a FREE 6 week plan.  Plan is available on the Traininpeaks platform here https://www.training...-home-isolation

Equipment you will need 
SWIM - a training resistance band/chord for the dryland swimming workouts (Watch the Youtube link located in the workout descriptions).  
BIKE - A smart trainer for the cycling workouts 
RUN - a treadmill, or run in your yard/garden or complex. If not possible look at alternatives such as skipping, stairs running or the HIIT Challenges located at the start of the plan.  

Group workout cycling sessions for the Tuesday and Thursday will be looked at to keep us motivated using the RTG Cycling software (www.rtgcycling.com) which is free to use whilst the COVID-19 Pandemic is ongoing.  Like our Facebook page (https://www.facebook...aclemultisports) and look out for event posts and updates.

For the swimming, Look at the dryland swim exercises and using resistance chords to retain some shoulder, lats, pecs and triceps, consider self body weight exercises to maintain strength so you do not loose a lot when we can get back to swimming.

If you can't run outside or even in the complex roads, around the garden, perhaps some steps to run up, else skipping and HIIT body work to try to keep leg power.

As the Olympics has been canceled and if this goes on well into May there a good chance it will be postponed I recon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like Dubai will be my next race then.. No desire to do EL again [emoji1787]

Still hoping to do Weymouth in Sept, else might consider Bahrain again in Dec. If neither of those then will also be at Dubai again!

• 1 year later...