Ironman 70.3 Durban 2021

shaper

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just totaled up my training since 15th March. I have never done so little training leading up to an event.

Swimming 2hours 40 minutes

Cycling; 19 hours

Running; 9 hours 20 minutes

Should be a fun day out!

5 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

With outside gatherings restricted to 250, don't think that it will go ahead.

They need to make the call soon before athletes start heading towards Durban.

Looks like it’s still on track though.

BFFBD853-CFEE-481A-BDCD-80649EFEC41A.jpeg

51 minutes ago, gurns said:

I phoned Ironman a bit earlier today and they say it is definitely on.

Good response from a company that would like to pay out as little refunds as possible.

As much as they say it will still be on, they unfortunately don't have the authority to make that call.

12 minutes ago, JuddMan said:

Good response from a company that would like to pay out as little refunds as possible.

As much as they say it will still be on, they unfortunately don't have the authority to make that call.

Call has already been made, after discussing with municipality.

If you are racing then you would have seen in the athletes guide all the Covid testing that has been put into place for the athelete's during the event pre registration and throughout.  Any failure of any test at any time and you will not be allowed to race.

Nothing has changed with us moving to level 2.  Athletes are split into age groups and race in age groups.  This includes registration, transition racking and racing with continual testing and if needs be antigen tests throughout the weekend. 

In such a way Ironman have taken a large participation race, and now compartmentalized it to smaller size field races within the overall event which are currently not affected by the level 2 conditions.

So unless you have confirmed facts to the contrary?

Edited by shaper

20 minutes ago, shaper said:

Call has already been made, after discussing with municipality.

If you are racing then you would have seen in the athletes guide all the Covid testing that has been put into place for the athelete's during the event pre registration and throughout.  Any failure of any test at any time and you will not be allowed to race.

Nothing has changed with us moving to level 2.  Athletes are split into age groups and race in age groups.  This includes registration, transition racking and racing with continual testing and if needs be antigen tests throughout the weekend. 

In such a way Ironman have taken a large participation race, and now compartmentalized it to smaller size field races within the overall event which are currently not affected by the level 2 conditions.

So unless you have confirmed facts to the contrary?

Very good to hear.

Sorry, perhaps I should have mentioned that my chirp was just my opinion/reaction without knowing the facts.

30 minutes ago, JuddMan said:

Very good to hear.

Sorry, perhaps I should have mentioned that my chirp was just my opinion/reaction without knowing the facts.

I gathered as much, hence my explanation.  As athletes we are racing in age groups at specific times throughout the morning and all given and individual QR Code and will be tested at registration, transition check-in, prior to race and will be requested to show our QR Code for scanning.  From an email received today:

• Please remember due to COVID-19 Rules and Regulations, no spectators are allowed at the event.
  • A weblink will be sent to you via SMS to download the COVID-19 Screening link. The link will be open from Friday, 4th June at 07h00. Please make sure you complete the link and have your QR code readily available when arriving at Registration. This link will be valid for 72 hours, thereafter you will have to complete the COVID-19 form again to obtain a new QR code.
  • Please remember, should you fail the Screening, you will have to complete a Rapid COVID-19 test. This will be available at R450 per test (athletes’ cost).

So are basically taking all precautions possible I think to mitigate Covid being within the athletes racing which has been implemented at other races around the world so far. Am not saying it is fool proof, but at least the new way of doing things hopefully keeps us able to race.

Edited by shaper

3 minutes ago, shaper said:

I gathered as much, hence my explanation.  As athletes we are racing in age groups at specific times throughout the morning and all given and individual QR Code and will be tested at registration, transition check-in, prior to race and will be requested to show our QR Code for scanning.  From an email received today:

• Please remember due to COVID-19 Rules and Regulations, no spectators are allowed at the event.
  • A weblink will be sent to you via SMS to download the COVID-19 Screening link. The link will be open from Friday, 4th June at 07h00. Please make sure you complete the link and have your QR code readily available when arriving at Registration. This link will be valid for 72 hours, thereafter you will have to complete the COVID-19 form again to obtain a new QR code.
  • Please remember, should you fail the Screening, you will have to complete a Rapid COVID-19 test. This will be available at R450 per test (athletes’ cost).

So are basically taking all precautions possible I think to mitigate Covid being within the athletes racing which has been implemented at other races around the world so far. Am not saying it is fool proof, but at least the new way of doing things hopefully keeps us able to race.

Very clever. Let's hope it is enough to mitigate the risks.

Are the employees of IM under the same scrutiny? i.e those that are helping facilitate the race? 

1 minute ago, JuddMan said:

Very clever. Let's hope it is enough to mitigate the risks.

Are the employees of IM under the same scrutiny? i.e those that are helping facilitate the race? 

Would be irresponsible if they were not and doubt there would have been municipal approval if staff/workers/volunteers did not have similar protocols.  I can only speak for the athletes as have not seen what the requirements are that employees have to follow.  Given they are in possible contact with more people than me as an an athlete, I suspect it is quite stringent to protect them.

There are now minimal volunteers than normal races and we have to pretty much help ourselves at the aid stations rather than get stuff handed to us.

On 5/31/2021 at 3:13 PM, shaper said:

Edited by Carmichael

On 5/28/2021 at 10:17 AM, shaper said:

Durban 2020 which is now Durban 2021.  Anyone racing and just got their number? 

Mine #1322 and a week to go!!

Well done Shaper. 

On 5/29/2021 at 11:51 AM, gurns said:

1313 for me.

Looking forward to it. Woohoo

Nice one Gurns. ????