Theft of customer info from Garmin SA

Albatross

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I received this email as well, this is totally unacceptable. Nothing short of gross incompetence and mismanagement. 

What doesn't help is that I'm unfortunately with Nedbank who are sadly lacking in effective security measures.

As mentioned, Garmin quickly absolving themselves of any responsibility .

Question - to what extent does it make any difference what bank you are with, since credit cards seemingly are not part of the bank, but contracted out.

I am looking to get a credit card for online use only, limiting this type of exposure ... but I am getting the same answers from the big banks .... seems the credit card terms and conditions are not managed by the "bank".

I would be most grateful if anybody has more information on safer options for credit cards - or other cards that would allow online shopping, Zwift payments, etc ...

I have had some very good service at FNB over the last 10 years, but they have now gone the call centre route .... let's just say the wheels seems to be coming off ....

Also received the same email.

I had to cancel my card on Tuesday, 3 September 2019, due to two unauthorised purchases in USD and EUR.

Question - to what extent does it make any difference what bank you are with, since credit cards seemingly are not part of the bank, but contracted out.

I am looking to get a credit card for online use only, limiting this type of exposure ... but I am getting the same answers from the big banks .... seems the credit card terms and conditions are not managed by the "bank".

I would be most grateful if anybody has more information on safer options for credit cards - or other cards that would allow online shopping, Zwift payments, etc ...

I have had some very good service at FNB over the last 10 years, but they have now gone the call centre route .... let's just say the wheels seems to be coming off ....

I recently had a number of online purchases whacked off my personal account and the fact that I was busy with a client did not check the message for 15 min. in that time I had 26K out of my account. Ran up to Nedbank to cancel the card, this evidently wasn't the highlight of their career as it was a somewhat laid back approach in dealing with stopping the card which I had with me. Whereas my business partner get's a call from Absa or Diner's immediately if there are purchases such as airline tickets or even purchases from Incredible Corruption. It took nearly a month to get my money back, and then due to the fact that I own a jewellery store and the purchases were for two watches overseas it was suggested that maybe I had bought the pieces for the shop. Now I realize I may look somewhat mentally challenged but even I would have to be rather backward in buying stock and then claiming it was fraudulent . Not to mention I would have had someone overseas to make the purchases. I understand your question as to what 'difference does it make ?' However I have just noticed that some banking/card institutions seem to have a better track record in informing you of dodgy purchases. And incidentally my business account is with another bank so it's not as if I use Nedbank for business purchases.

Edited by Abercrombie

I would say give them a HUGE fine but all that will happen is that they recoup that fine through price increases...

Yeah, a fine won't help those affected. Garmin should rather own up and pay for everyone's card replacement fees.

I was using my Discovery Credit Card (the pre-Disco Bank one) which is administrated through FNB. I fortunately picked up the first message saying over R4000 had been reserved for a purchase at Geektraders (or something like that). I immediately phoned the emergency number on the Discovery app and they very quickly cancelled the card. I was then put through to the fraud division to open a case. Over the next 20 min several more purchases were attempted but declined due to the card cancellation. I checked my latest statement today and it appears the initial R4000 payment was stopped as well, so I got lucky as I only have to deal with the inconvenience of getting a new card.

Whenever I purchase online I always expect a OTP but apparently there are websites out there that don't require a OTP which I find a bit odd! 

Have a look at this talk by Frank Abagnale (Catch me if you can) - some really valuable information at the end about Credit Card vs Debit Cards - https://youtu.be/vsMydMDi3rI?t=2594

I recently had a number of online purchases whacked off my personal account and the fact that I was busy with a client did not check the message for 15 min. in that time I had 26K out of my account. Ran up to Nedbank to cancel the card, this evidently wasn't the highlight of their career as it was a somewhat laid back approach in dealing with stopping the card which I had with me. Whereas my business partner get's a call from Absa or Diner's immediately if there are purchases such as airline tickets or even purchases from Incredible Corruption.

snip

yea I've been with all of them except for Nedbank (they try me every month though)  and have pet peeves with most of them...but i'll admit that ABSA seems on top of credit card fraud if nothing else.

It's almost like they measure activity against your usual habits and if it doesn't make sense...they immediately lock/block/undo and call you to make sure. I've had it twice before with Uber and the wife with some self study app on her phone.

the trick with online purchases imo is that you need to treat your cards and info like that thing in your pants....if you don't want to catch something you better not go bareback cowboy in random places :ph34r: 

Have a look at this talk by Frank Abagnale (Catch me if you can) - some really valuable information at the end about Credit Card vs Debit Cards - https://youtu.be/vsMydMDi3rI?t=2594

In an ideal world ....

Problem being that Abercombie is not a one-off issue.  It SHOULD be that easy to cancel a credit card and reverse fraudulant transactions.

After last month's issues with FNB I would hate to have to deal with their on-line staff for something like this !!

Speaking to ABSA, I was told that I can apply "in-bank" for a credit card, but that all other communication would be to the credit card call centre ....

Dont get me wrong, I do use technology, and I seldom put foot inside a bank.  But when I come unstuck I want to be able to walk into a bank and have a human assist me.  And when the bank manager (Johan) at FNB Willowbridge tells me: "Thats the way it is.  Take it or leave it." .... that after I got three different answers from three different call centre staff members ....

.... I was busy with a client did not check the message for 15 min. in that time I had 26K out of my account. Ran up to Nedbank to cancel the card, this evidently wasn't the highlight of their career as it was a somewhat laid back approach in dealing with stopping the card which I had with me. Whereas my business partner get's a call from Absa or Diner's immediately if there are purchases such as airline tickets or even purchases from Incredible Corruption. .....

However I have just noticed that some banking/card institutions seem to have a better track record in informing you of dodgy purchases. And incidentally my business account is with another bank so it's not as if I use Nedbank for business purchases.

Thanks

I will have another chat with ABSA....

Thanks

I will have another chat with ABSA....

Just don't go to Tygervalley Absa...HAS to be the most useless branch on earth. it's like a call centre....but face to face. 'nobody knows anything' the level of incompetitance there is astounding.

i'm with you on going into branches. I hate it...part of the reason Left STB (they don't allow the level of self sufficiency that FNB and ABSA does/did for instance....but when I absolutelyhave to go into a bank....i just drive and go to the 'premium' ones...like the ones in the waterfront

Edited by morneS555