garonkent

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

We have had them before and will have them again.it will die down and fade into obscurity like the others.

The OPs extended play explanation wore me down within the first few paragraphs

We have had them before and will have them again.it will die down and fade into obscurity like the others.

The OPs extended play explanation wore me down within the first few paragraphs

Sorry - just messing. Agree [emoji817]- we have rehashed the same stuff enough

Right, so flamesuit on, but anyway I don't really care. Facts don't care about anyone's feelings.

Lots of people are getting self righteous and insinuating that the OP is making a closet racist post by doubting a guy pushing a bike while committing the crime of being black. And, would you feel the same if you saw a white buy pushing a bike, etc etc.

post-57055-0-12558700-1568708388_thumb.jpg

Guys, lets look at the racial make-up of prison vs the racial make-up of South African as a whole.

Now my math ain't strong so if I'm off with this, feel free to correct. 

Blacks make up 79.6% of prison population, and also coincidentally 80.2% of the country's population as a whole. Lets round that at 80% to make things easier for me.

So am I correct in saying that out of a 1000 people in prison, a random ringfence of people, 800 of them would be black and 16 of them would be white? Is my math on that right?

Now compare that to the population at a whole. Of 1000 non incarcerated people, 800 would be black and 84 would be white.

If my math is weak to begin with, then working out the "chances of landing in prison ratio" is even weaker, but does that not indicate that a black person is more likely to end up in prison compared to a white guy? Yes we can discuss the possible reasons behind it ranging from Apartheid to haves vs have nots, etc etc etc. There could be a whole bunch of causes which I'm not disputing, but I'm looking at the numbers.

So to swing all that back around... if a guy driving his car sees a black guy in blue overalls pushing a bike, whether its a Makro special or a Pinarello, and he sees white guy in a blue overall pushing the exact same bike, why does the guy in his car need to be guilt tripped and shamed for using, not prejudice, but applying simple maths and knowing the realities of South Africa to the situation? If he, in his mind went, "Chances are..." then would he be racist, or would be just be using sound reasoning?

Right, so flamesuit on, but anyway I don't really care. Facts don't care about anyone's feelings.

Lots of people are getting self righteous and insinuating that the OP is making a closet racist post by doubting a guy pushing a bike while committing the crime of being black. And, would you feel the same if you saw a white buy pushing a bike, etc etc.

attachicon.gifrace.jpg

Guys, lets look at the racial make-up of prison vs the racial make-up of South African as a whole.

Blacks make up 79.6% of prison population, and also coincidentally 80.2% of the country's population as a whole. Lets round that at 80% to make things easier for me.

So am I correct in saying that out of a 1000 people in prison, a random ringfence of people, 800 of them would be black and 16 of them would be white? Is my math on that right?

Now compare that to the population at a whole. Of 1000 non incarcerated people, 800 would be black and 84 would be white.

If my math is weak to begin with, then working out the "chances of landing in prison ratio" is even weaker, but does that not indicate that a black person is more likely to end up in prison compared to a white guy? Yes we can discuss the possible reasons behind it ranging from Apartheid to haves vs have nots, etc etc etc. There could be a whole bunch of causes which I'm not disputing, but I'm looking at the numbers.

So to swing all that back around... if a guy driving his car sees a black guy in blue overalls pushing a bike, whether its a Makro special or a Pinarello, and he sees white guy in a blue overall pushing the exact same bike, why does the guy in his car need to be guilt tripped and shamed for using, not prejudice, but applying simple maths and knowing the realities of South Africa to the situation? If he, in his mind went, "Chances are..." then would he be racist, or would be just be using sound reasoning?

????

Who cares

how is this still going?

The fact that threads like this keep going as long as they do sometimes make me feel that 'the powers that be' like watching this stuff from the sidelines in a somewhat vicarious fashion. 

The incessant triggering that follows due to all the trolling ensures the clicks/refreshes roll in and pay the bills lol....

stop feeding the thing guys.

/closethread.

attachicon.gifrace.jpg

You've made an untenable interpretation of the data, which undermines your argument. 

Fact is, in SA, white folks historically and presently have higher income, better access to legal representation and are less likely to be convicted of charges. I've seen this first hand as a former prosecutor. Also, people in prison ≠ people convicted of crimes (i.e. people who receive fines and/or suspended sentences). 

You've made an untenable interpretation of the data, which undermines your argument. 

Fact is, in SA, white folks historically and presently have higher income, better access to legal representation and are less likely to be convicted of charges. I've seen this first hand as a former prosecutor. Also, people in prison ≠ people convicted of crimes (i.e. people who receive fines and/or suspended sentences). 

Which is why I said, there could be many reasons for the racial make-up of the prisons, the "haves" having better counsel etc. But I still don't think the difference in quality of counsel alone could explain the vast difference in numbers, surely?

There are few things sadder than overly triggered leftists, the obviously blinkered right and closet racists talking past each other, instead of trying to understand each other’s points.

Keep going guys, you will soon convince each other that YOU are right and the others will soon admit they are wrong. ????

Edited by Patchelicious

how is this still going?

The fact that threads like this keep going as long as they do sometimes make me feel that 'the powers that be' like watching this stuff from the sidelines in a somewhat vicarious fashion. 

The incessant triggering that follows due to all the trolling ensures the clicks/refreshes roll in and pay the bills lol....

stop feeding the thing guys.

/closethread.

Yeah, it could have been wrapped up pages ago but then the...

post-57055-0-55763500-1568711464.jpg

...crowd entered the room.

Oh well... lets hope this tread dies before the new Friday controversial comes out in a few days.

The colour of crime makes an interesting read. But that’s not for here or now. Herrenstein and Murray indicated that crime is not a factor of race but intelligence.

I think Tuesday just became the new Friday.

Edited by IceCreamMan